Weight Watchers

Chat about anything
Ms Thrifty

Re: Weight Watchers

#21 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:36 pm

I know. I went to a special stretch workshop one Saturday and got a manual with all the stretches in. Loaned that one to my previous physio and didn't get that back, either. Think I've learned my lesson now!

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#22 Post by bevvy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I like the sound of this as well. I've often felt tempted when they were selling the poles in Tchibo. But I doubt there are an courses in my area - I've never seen anyone doing this round here.
Even if I did manage to learn, I don't think I would have the bottle to go parading around a local park on my own doing this.

Ms Thrifty

#23 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:42 pm

I b*ght some poles from Tchibo! They are not those I use regularly; tbh I b*ght them partly for the spare "feet" (little rubber tips for the sharp ends, as the tips do wear out and need replacing) and partly because they were the folding type and I thought they'd be better for travelling. But I have never used them; I stick to my "Rolls Royce" type which are ultra-light and guaranteed for life. I always take them away with me for weekends and holidays.

I do get some abuse and stupid comments, but I get those (and drivers tooting) when I'm walking without them, too. I try to ignore it because I have learned that though men (I'm afraid it is always men who do this) feel free to mock or insult a complete stranger in public, they don't like if if I answer back. But I don't want to discourage BettyBoop! And I don't think this would be an issue in a group. Stupid, really, to make silly remarks to someone armed with two long metal poles with sharp ends...

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#24 Post by bevvy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:
I do get some abuse and stupid comments, but I get those (and drivers tooting) when I'm walking without them, too. I try to ignore it because I have learned that though men (I'm afraid it is always men who do this) feel free to mock or insult a complete stranger in public, they don't like if if I answer back.
Round our way it is not only men that do that, though I agree they are the main offenders.
The other day , my daughter was walking down the street in charge of a group of small children when a woman (total stranger) criticised her hair and said she looked like she was wearing her grandmother's glasses.

I must admit though that I think I would make a pretty comical sight doing this , so I wouldn't really blame anybody for laughing at me!

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#25 Post by Beate » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:45 pm

Can you lot stop talking about b*ying Easter European people! ;)

And Dietgirl says:
"The best exercise is the one you enjoy. So what if your best friend swears by aerobics at dawn? If you’re a shift worker or just plain grumpy in the morning, this will never suit you. Choose an exercise you like and do it when it’s most convenient for you – this way you’ll stick with it."
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

BettyBoop

#26 Post by BettyBoop » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Beate wrote:Can you lot stop talking about b*ying Easter European people! ;)

And Dietgirl says:
"The best exercise is the one you enjoy. So what if your best friend swears by aerobics at dawn? If you’re a shift worker or just plain grumpy in the morning, this will never suit you. Choose an exercise you like and do it when it’s most convenient for you – this way you’ll stick with it."
Dietgirl is threating to become my guru!! lol

Allsinging
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 1076
Preferred Cinemas: York and Castleford
I haven't got tickets for: anything

#27 Post by Allsinging » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Hello guys

I’ve had a weight issues most of my adult life, I loose the weight and then after 6 months it gradually creeps on, for me to start loosing again…so it a cycle that I know I do and then repeat yet again.

I didn’t want to join WW or SW or any others as I feel defeated before I start and its money I could spend elsewhere. So at a children’s day out I found a stand for Change for Life. They took my details and I had my first meeting on Friday… I took some time to analyse myself, my personality and my belief in my own self worth…so it’s really interesting and enlighten. Plus I have a sister who told me straight just where my weaknesses are 8O :blink: , if you're asking a friend make sure they are a best friend, better really to ask family at least they are cruelly honest :p .

It’s free and it was great to just talk about myself for nearly two hours hee hee, should have been one but we had a good laugh too but I feel great! I’ve been really healthy for a while now (which is what I always do anyway) but I’m starting to see why I’m doing the things I do. Before my meeting I felt it was probable that I would just repeat my yoyo diets, now I’m not sure. My next meeting is Friday.

The support is for as long as you want it, they look at what you are eating, if that’s where you need your help but I’m sure most of you know more about diets than Weight watchers anyway.

I’m not saying this is the life solution but its different to anything else I’ve ever done and they give you a website to create with the children so we are thinking more about what we eat as a family.

If you try it let me know :D

tel 0300 123 1044
http://www.nhs.uk/changeforlife
Last edited by Allsinging on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good news everyone I've invented a device that makes you read this in your head in my voice!

Thank you FMUK for inspiring our community cinema http://www.Selbyglobe.co.uk

Member 4 of the 100 free films in 2011 club

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#28 Post by Diane65 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi I use the poles everyweek to walk when I go walking in the hills at the weekend, they are brilliant for your posture especially when going up and down the hills your back and stomach feel so much better/stronger and your breathing is so much better; I had a tendency to lean forward when going up the hills, I've never had training on how to use them but had tips from the physiotherapist at work and remembering tips from skiing, it's the best £10 I've ever spent.
Good luck everyone I'm trying to lose weight the old fashioned way counting calories, still 10lbs to go (I feel this 10lbs are part of me I've been on stand still for 2 weeks now!) but being positive 10lbs gone.
Pleased to see allsinging is doing the change for life programme, I work for the NHS and it's got a really positive feedback.
My weight is due to the fact I love going out for coffee and cakes and eating chocolates at the pictures.

Ms Thrifty

#29 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:58 am

I'm glad Diane65 has spoken up for Nordic Walking, though I'm quite used to and sanguine about being in a minority of one. Beate is absolutely right about it being important to find a form of exercise you enjoy and will therefore want to continue; I'm just speaking up for one of mine - which is very popular in Germany, or in the areas I've visited, at least. I'd never heard of the NHS "Change For Life" programme but it sounds great so I shall look it up. I think the mental approach to weight loss is as important as the physical one (i.e. diet and exercise) and that they need to go hand-in-hand, so a programme which addresses both is good news and more likely to result in success.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#30 Post by andrews » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 am

Spurred on by my friend BettyBoop, and fellow FMUKers out there, the diet started in earnest yesterday. I have kept making excuses - too busy, too tired, too weak...but it's no good at all. I find that I am stronger at home, but willpower evaporates at work, where I am always on the go, and there are always cakes, biscuits, chocolates around. It's always someone's birthday.
However, those WW recipe books are on the living room floor. I've browsed through them, and planned this week's meals. I've been to Tesco - their profits are going to take a fall this week.
So, I'm ready.
Now the next thing is exercise. When am I going to fit this into my busy lifestyle? Nordic Walking is just not viable - might have to b*y an exercise bike. Or get those aerobics DVDs out and dust them. Or the Wi-Fit, if I can work out how to use the thing. (Oh no, :cry: no excuses for not exercising.)
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage