Chat about anything
Timbo
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#4861 Post by Timbo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:02 pm

valda wrote:
Timbo wrote:Following on from Chicago closing, it has been announced that Blood Brothers will close in the West End on 27 October.
nooooooo, that is such a shame. I better go before it finishes. I cry like a baby whenever I see that show :tears:
Yes, it is a shame. One of my favourite shows but it has had a good run.

PeachyLollipop
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: West End, Westfield Stratford city, Islington, Wood Green

#4862 Post by PeachyLollipop » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:49 pm

were there free tickets for 39 steps? Been waiting for that since forever! :(
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 47/100 Seen

Scores
2013 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21969&p=268158#p268158
2014 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26885&p=324444#p324444

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#4863 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 am

PeachyLolipop wrote:were there free tickets for 39 steps? Been waiting for that since forever! :(
There was a VIP or special invited guest list code for some people which they received in their email (I did), but would only work for those specifically invited which is why it was never posted here ;)
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#4864 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 am

I saw 3 free plays this week which all coincidentally were at the Criterion Theatre and all surprisingly much better than I had expected beforehand!

The 39 Steps: A bit whodunnit but a lot more comedy this was a play I've been wanting to see for a long time out of sheer curiosity more than anything else (I pass the theatre quite frequently and I like the poster). The first 10 minutes or so were a bit slow and made me wonder what I dragged my friend to, but after that it quickly picked up and it was very funny. Particularly the simple staging (the actors had to be really creative with the use of some props) and the fact there's only 4 actors playing all roles (two in particular had a lot of costume/character changes and they were all excellent at defining the different ones by various accents and funny characteristics. Must be very tiring for them though!) 7/10

Taking Part: Part of the Olympic series at the Criterion this was a two-handler about a swimmer from Congo, wanting to go to London 2012 so he can talk to the journalists about the problems in his country and expose them to the world, and his Polish coach who at first is really reluctant about coaching him as he thinks the swimmer won't qualify. The two develop a surprising friendship (bonding over multiple re-watches of Chariots of Fire) and throughout the play the audience really starts to root for the charismatic swimmer and hopes that against all odds he will qualify for the Olympics. Unfortunately I found the sudden turn towards the end unsatisfying, but overall this was an excellent and well-acted play. 7.5/10

After the Party: Set in the East of London during the Olympics this play focuses on the problems of a few young adults living on a council estate. One of them buys an old burger van and tries to profit from the tourists passing through to the stadium to save for the down payment of a flat to get out of their current neighbourhood but there are many problems along the way that prevent him from reaching his goal. Again I found the ending somewhat unsatisfactory but everything that came before was excellent and really had me hooked on their stories. 7/10

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#4865 Post by asamaic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 am

canadian_turtle wrote:
PeachyLolipop wrote:were there free tickets for 39 steps? Been waiting for that since forever! :(
There was a VIP or special invited guest list code for some people which they received in their email (I did), but would only work for those specifically invited which is why it was never posted here ;)
Gutted! I've been on the "special invited guestlist" for quite a few things before and found out by chance. SFF doesn't always tell me, not sure why... I am signed up for emails!
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#4866 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 am

asamaic wrote:
canadian_turtle wrote:
Gutted! I've been on the "special invited guestlist" for quite a few things before and found out by chance. SFF doesn't always tell me, not sure why... I am signed up for emails!
Seeing as a few friends of mine got the invite too I think in this case the code may have been VIP (which is a pa*d for service). As for other "invited guest list only" alerts, they're after a certain demographic (age, location, things you've previously enjoyed) so getting 1 invite doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the next. Sometimes "invited guest list" is even for people who booked tickets to something before that then got cancelled, to make it up to them.

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#4867 Post by asamaic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

canadian_turtle wrote: Seeing as a few friends of mine got the invite too I think in this case the code may have been VIP (which is a pa*d for service). As for other "invited guest list only" alerts, they're after a certain demographic (age, location, things you've previously enjoyed) so getting 1 invite doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the next. Sometimes "invited guest list" is even for people who booked tickets to something before that then got cancelled, to make it up to them.
I mean, sometimes a code is posted which other members have been emailed, it turns out to be guest list only, but I can use the code, despite no email from SFF myself. It's odd. I was for example (randomly) on the list for Rock Ness, but only found out through trying a code posted here!

39 Steps sounds amazing though, so it probably was VIP. Interesting to hear, I have often been tempted to sign up for the pa*d for service!
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#4868 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am

asamaic wrote:
canadian_turtle wrote: Seeing as a few friends of mine got the invite too I think in this case the code may have been VIP (which is a pa*d for service). As for other "invited guest list only" alerts, they're after a certain demographic (age, location, things you've previously enjoyed) so getting 1 invite doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the next. Sometimes "invited guest list" is even for people who booked tickets to something before that then got cancelled, to make it up to them.
I mean, sometimes a code is posted which other members have been emailed, it turns out to be guest list only, but I can use the code, despite no email from SFF myself. It's odd. I was for example (randomly) on the list for Rock Ness, but only found out through trying a code posted here!

39 Steps sounds amazing though, so it probably was VIP. Interesting to hear, I have often been tempted to sign up for the pa*d for service!
Way back then SFF just said something was invited guest list only but it actually was not. Their system has been upgraded since then and if it's invited only it's invited only ;) (trust me, I've tried!)

howyoudoin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#4869 Post by howyoudoin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 am

Got another invite only code for the The 39 Steps.

Does anyone fancy coming if I request 4 tickets for Thursday night?

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#4870 Post by asamaic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:04 pm

I missed out on the tickets for tonight by seconds! Oh well, fingers crossed for another code or some returns... Sadly I can't do Thursday this week, or I would be biting your hand off, howyoudoin!

Edit: Picked up two returns for tonight. Looking forward to this one!
Preferred cinemas: