Girls Trip

Discuss movies (including free films)
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Girls Trip

#1 Post by kevinknapman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:07 am

Considering it wasn't even on my radar a couple of days ago until a few very positive reviews then piqued my interest, I enjoyed Girls Trip quite a lot.

The story of four former college friends who call themselves the Flossy Posse getting back together after five years to visit New Orleans for the Essence Festival is a fairly standard, raunchy, gross out affair in a similar vein to Bridesmaids and The Hangover.
Luckily films such as these succeed or fail on the amount of laughs on offer and Girls Trip has more than enough to ensure its the former.

Regina Hall, Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith are all fine as three of the Flossy Posse, though it's the relative unknown Tiffany Haddish who gets most of the laughs as the foul-mouthed and hot-tempered Dina.
This could be a similar scene-stealing breakout role to Melissa McCarthy's in Bridesmaids and it's certainly a far cry from her 2006 appearance as Stripper #3 in an episode of It's Always Sunny....

It's not perfect by any means. Some of the gross out stuff is perhaps a little too try hard (a scene involving a zipline over a New Orleans street and a character desperate for the loo getting stuck halfway in particular feels unnecessary) and the tendency towards sentimentality towards the end is a little at odds with the broader comedy which precedes it. It is also just over two hours long which is almost Judd Apatow levels of indulgence but oddly that never bothered me.

US films with largely African American casts tend to get overlooked in the UK but this does seem to be getting a fairly decent release. So hopefully it will find an audience.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

chelle1973
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Any cinemas in Edinburgh and The Lothians.
I haven't got tickets for: Interested in all upcoming screenings.

Re: Girls Trip

#2 Post by chelle1973 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am

kevinknapman wrote:Considering it wasn't even on my radar a couple of days ago until a few very positive reviews then piqued my interest, I enjoyed Girls Trip quite a lot.

The story of four former college friends who call themselves the Flossy Posse getting back together after five years to visit New Orleans for the Essence Festival is a fairly standard, raunchy, gross out affair in a similar vein to Bridesmaids and The Hangover.
Luckily films such as these succeed or fail on the amount of laughs on offer and Girls Trip has more than enough to ensure its the former.

Regina Hall, Queen Latifah and Jada Pinkett Smith are all fine as three of the Flossy Posse, though it's the relative unknown Tiffany Haddish who gets most of the laughs as the foul-mouthed and hot-tempered Dina.
This could be a similar scene-stealing breakout role to Melissa McCarthy's in Bridesmaids and it's certainly a far cry from her 2006 appearance as Stripper #3 in an episode of It's Always Sunny....

It's not perfect by any means. Some of the gross out stuff is perhaps a little too try hard (a scene involving a zipline over a New Orleans street and a character desperate for the loo getting stuck halfway in particular feels unnecessary) and the tendency towards sentimentality towards the end is a little at odds with the broader comedy which precedes it. It is also just over two hours long which is almost Judd Apatow levels of indulgence but oddly that never bothered me.

US films with largely African American casts tend to get overlooked in the UK but this does seem to be getting a fairly decent release. So hopefully it will find an audience.
It is definitely on my to-watch list! o/
Preferred cinemas: Any in Edinburgh!

Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2019". 4 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2018". 11 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2017". 8 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2016". 15 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2015". 39 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2014". 33 seen

sfancy
The Third Man
The Third Man

#3 Post by sfancy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:12 pm

I so want to see this!

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#4 Post by fraz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Quite enjoyed this. Some good gags and brash humour. Dina was the star. Bit odd though, given the long length, that the formuliac fall out/make amends was left so late in the film and dealt with in a flash. 7/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

ROBO
Air Force One
Air Force One

#5 Post by ROBO » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:57 am

Loved it. The energy, storey line (so true). Some really good lol moments. Feel good girls (and maybe guys) movie.

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#6 Post by EthanRunt » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 am

fraz wrote:Quite enjoyed this. Some good gags and brash humour. Dina was the star. Bit odd though, given the long length, that the formuliac fall out/make amends was left so late in the film and dealt with in a flash. 7/10
I quite liked that they did't p*y too much mind to that, most of the film was such a fun time that when the inevitable destruction of friendships, set up early on anyway, happened, the film knew it was better seeing the gang having fun so found ways to really just get the energy back swiftly.

Sometimes you just need a few hours of utter joy.