Captain America: The First Avenger

Discuss movies (including free films)
canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

#171 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:54 pm

Probably, but I actually liked the bags on the seats better because the packages are closed so when I'm not I the mood for popcorn at the time I can save it for later XD
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#172 Post by valda » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm

funthing29 wrote:It's quite an expense to provide popcorn for every seat.

It's cheaper (and less trouble for them) to make that those that want the free popcorn queue for it.
Its not fair to change film times so people can get free popcorn though. Have you seen those giant bags of popcorn the popcorn comes from? I can't see that its done as a cost saving exercise.

sorry beate, I'm turning this into a popcorn thread
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

kotoranka
Phase IV
Phase IV

#173 Post by kotoranka » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 pm

valda wrote:
funthing29 wrote:It's quite an expense to provide popcorn for every seat.

It's cheaper (and less trouble for them) to make that those that want the free popcorn queue for it.
Its not fair to change film times so people can get free popcorn though. Have you seen those giant bags of popcorn the popcorn comes from? I can't see that its done as a cost saving exercise.

sorry beate, I'm turning this into a popcorn thread
I thought the giant bags were those which people had actually purchased, when I have been at the o2 and redeemed my popcorn ticket I only received a small one :confused:
Member No. 67 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 23 seen 77to go!

wolverina2411

#174 Post by wolverina2411 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm

There's defintiely a fake or reprint tickets (even already cancelled!) cause I never saw such a long Q. I lived near Westfield and studying at South Ken, so, kind of prefer the West London Cinemas (and Central if I have to). But I made the trip to O2 when there's no other options. And I guess many ppl did the same thing. And sky is the only one offering the free tix for the film. I think they should start using the scanning machine to avoid the duplication or fakes.

I got in around 6.15 and the only seats left were at the very front. Been there before for Harry Potter recently and almost got cross eye after the screening. The possibility of experiencing that again were really annoying (got a thorough eye test appointment tomorrow. good luck to me!) and we saw there's a family of 6 or 8 at the side of the cinema refused to seat and was talking to the usher. so figure out they probably fishing for the balcony seats. And we thought of being a bit naughty and wait and spying on them. hehehe and we thought right, cause 1 min we were looking for seats, they were gone and I looked up and saw them up there. saw we decided to go out and talked to the attendants outside, apparently there's another 2 couples already did the same thing. Lastly, the guy in a jacket took us upstairs and some ppl in the Q tried to follow us. But the attendants kind of caught them doing it cause they don't have any 3d glasses and asked to wait. but I'm sure they got in. RESULT!

I love the seats very much. and we enjoyed the movie too. I wished they made the Capt America started in the 60s, and when he came back, he got to meet Col Philips and has his date with the current Agent Carter (chicklit lover talking!!! forgot it's a superhero movie ;) ) we usually left the screening quickly, but I'm glad we waited till the very end yesterday and the trailer came out! now can't wait for The avengers... [spoiler]but how are they planning to bring back red skull???? mmmmmm ;)[/spoiler]

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#175 Post by steve9872 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:54 pm

wolverina2411 wrote:[spoiler]but how are they planning to bring back red skull???? mmmmmm ;)[/spoiler]
[spoiler]That's actually easy, Odin's cube or whatever its called, teleported him to Asgard. It isn't actually obvious that the process killed him, I believe it was a simple teleport and he survived it.[/spoiler]
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

opas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 157
Preferred Cinemas: Central London (All West End), East London (WIQ, Stratford), North London (Islington), South East London (Greenwich, Surrey Quays), Cineworld Ilford and West London (Shepherds Bush, Whiteleys)

#176 Post by opas » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 am

I got there just before 6pm and the queue at the O2 was already very long. Decided to forget about any popcorn and join the queue as I was very worried we wouldn't get in. Luckily it all worked out and managed to get fairly good seats centre middle, just in time to watch it all fill up.

I don't know if it was because the screen was full but did anyone feel the superscreen had less capacity than before the refurbishment? I remember thinking it was vast on previous visits, but less so yesterday. Not sure if it was because every seat was taken for once.

The delay in terms of start time was annoying but I'm glad they made the effort to try and seat as many people as possible and even put it on in another screen so not too many people would have to just go home disappointed. It is more than what some other cinemas have offered when over-subscribed in the past.

I was quite excited to see the film and while Chris Evans was good (not brilliant for me), I have to say I found it a little dull in places. Definitely wasn't an awful film, but I had very high expectations. I found the bit at the end after the credits the most exciting thing about it and I'm definitely looking forward to the Avengers film - it was a good way for me to get to know the Captain America character a little better . 7/10 for me.

I also thought the 3D was unncessary and not properly utilised, although I did sit next to someone who gasped/giggled at every little effect. Perhaps it was her first experience of 3D or maybe I am being a little harsh as while I'm a 3D fan, I do expect them to push the boundaries with it. I am normally the type of person who always chooses the 3D option if available but I really don't think you will lose anything by watching this in 2D.
Member No. 16 of the "100 free films in 2016" club
3 seen / 97 to go

41 films seen in 2015, 55 films seen in 2013, 72 free films seen in 2012
60 free films seen in 2011, 57 free films seen in 2010
51 free films seen in 2009, 47 free films seen in 2008

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#177 Post by elski » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:29 pm

aruif wrote:
spyzapper25 wrote:There was a sky rep there so he should of asked of it
why?
no one's ever asked for ID other than for Harry Potter screenings and that was only due to the film's popularity.
Because a lot of us up and down the country never got to see this film with it being over subscribed so if it is people with fake, duplicate or cancelled tickets then I hope they do crack down on it and use the list like they did for Harry Potter. I don't want to waste another hour's walk come the next screening and find I can't get in again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

ramaloo

#178 Post by ramaloo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:14 pm

I wasn't very impressed by the movie. Next to me two boys, age about 8-9, were sitting. I thought they don't like it at all because they looked bored but when the movie finished they just look one at another and said "WOW! THAT WAS AWESOME!"
well...I guess it was then ;)

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#179 Post by hopeprince » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Got around to see this at Wandsworth ironically (but from where I live its either that or Wimbledon, and I get put off by the fact that you chose a seat before screening and end up sitting with your worst nightmare :shifty: ) but back to the point. It was 2D so I didn't need to fiddle with 3d glasses on top my glasses. It was a very cool superhero movie especially after the roller coaster I watched this morning. It was weird seeing Chris Evans that small and I cant now imagine anyone but him being Captain America. I have to admit that I wasn't convinced about the guy with a shield when I heard about this movie but it works. The rest of the movie is predictable after you see the red dude's plane but it was enjoyable. Can't wait for the Avengers now. 7/10 I had a date
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#180 Post by stuartboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 am

hopeprince wrote:]I had a date[/i]
Lucky boy! Why was that in italics though? Lol. Was it a not good date?

Guess I can stop waiting for another preview of this after last week's fiasco! I ended up with 2 single tickets in different names, arrived just in time.....at wrong cinema!....then half an hour late at right cinema....only to discover afterwards that it started late.....but was oversubscribed anyway. I just wasn't meant to see that movie.

(And I had no date either!) :tears:
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.