Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Discuss movies (including free films)
foleyartist

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

#281 Post by foleyartist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 am

If you haven't read the novel but are intrigued, wait for it on DVD (although it wouldn't surprise me if they released it on VHS).

The film is too slow.... Yawn.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#282 Post by McG » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:55 am

foleyartist wrote:If you haven't read the novel but are intrigued, wait for it on DVD (although it wouldn't surprise me if they released it on VHS).

Love the VHS ! :giggle:

what about Betamax? :X
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

havingascreen
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: edinburgh
I have tickets for: The Social Network
I haven't got tickets for: Narnia

#283 Post by havingascreen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:52 pm

foleyartist wrote:If you haven't read the novel but are intrigued, wait for it on DVD (although it wouldn't surprise me if they released it on VHS).

Totally agree, didn't deserve the 4 stars it got publicity wise. Watchers really need to have either read the book or have good knowledge of the cold war era to get all the references and allusions.

My movie partner actually had a nap during.

3/10

hdaniel82
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Brighton - Odeon or Cineworld

#284 Post by hdaniel82 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Found this hard to follow, although well acted. Got confused with all the names and characters!
6/10
Preferred cinemas:
Weekdays: Central London (all West End), West India Quay, Greenwich O2, Vue Islington
Weekends: Greenwich (O2, Odeon, PH), Vue Stratford City, Stratford PH

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#285 Post by cliveas » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 am

I FINALLY saw this at Stratford City on Sunday, using a voucher.

It is pretty much impossible for me to be objective about this film having read the book and seen the TV series, both more than once.

Did it live up to one of the best spy stories ever, well of course it didn’t – but it would have been exceptional if it could have captured that in the time allowed.

However as far as I could tell (with the familiarity with the story) it seemed to stand up as a film in it’s own right, but unfortunately without the suspense. Where were the things that pointed to each of the suspects as the traitor? Also the key relationships in the story were not explored e.g. the father/son type relationship of Smiley & Guillam. You got none of the affection of GS for PG or the respect of PG for GS. It wasn’t shown at all why Guillam would risk his career and prison simply because Smiley asked him to. But perhaps that was why they turned Guillam gay with an older lover? Were we supposed to think that he had a ‘thing’ for him?

It’s also confusing when scenes are kept in the film but played out by different characters at a different stage of the story. I also thought that the Ricky Tarr part of the story was unfortunately rather confused, although quite a bit was always going to be have to be cut.

The final scene was also a disappointment. Why were all the other characters removed? Their reactions were key.

The acting was of course good. John Hurt in particular was excellent. Gary Oldman was also good, but he wasn’t Sir Alec Guinness (but then who is?), similarly Kathy Burke was good but not Beryl Reid. I thought David Dencik was a real disappointment as Toby, although he didn’t seem to be given a chance to bring the character to life and it wasn’t helped by the fact that Bernard Hepton was quite superb in the TV series. In one very strange piece of casting/direction though, Ciarán Hinds made Roy Bland completely unrecognisable.

Overall I thought it was classy and stylish but somewhere along the way it seemed to have lost the soul of the story.

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#286 Post by elski » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:40 pm

#MoetBIFA Award for Best Technical Achievement goes to Maria Djurkovic for Production Design on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#287 Post by stuartboy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Beige.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#288 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm

I'll have to agree with HDaniels, I also got lost with all the names spat out everywhere. The scene I saw at the Empire Big Screen involving Cumberbatch's infiltration turned out to be the most suspenseful scene in the film, so that kind of diminished the experience for me. The rest was basically a detective story for which I couldnt follow any of the clues. I also couldnt understand anyone's motivation, the ending and what the hell do these old people really get up to. So perhaps I am not intelligent enough for this film? :( I also wanted more character work and more on the suspects but most of them got very little screen time and when they do they were mostly subdued. Gary Oldman's performance is so understated, I was wondering if he was just hanging around on set waiting for his cue to act. But I still enjoy watching him, he is one of the greatest craftsmen on screen today. I do loved the whole murky London 70s setting, the mood and its slow deliberation.

Somehow, I regret watching this and not seeing the original Alec Guiness series especially after reading Cliveas above review. There were moments in this film where I thought I detect some channelling of Guiness from Oldman, not sure if it was deliberate or not but I liked it.

I will give this 6.5/10 but I think rather than give this a second viewing I'll just put the Alec Guiness version on my Lovefilm queue instead :)
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#289 Post by prettyxcool » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Finally saw this tonight at Shitsbury Avenue, which was packed. Screen 7 must be one of the better screens. I sat on the back row and had a great view and the seats were really comfy. Lots of latecomers though and got in the way of some subtitles in the film, obviously did not know the rule of free previews, that they do not have trailers?

Anyway, a slow moving film, no car chases, thrills and spills, glamour or gadgets, but an intriguing espionage film in seedy London, which engrosses and absorbs you. Strong and flawless performances from a really great British cast, lovely to see Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch and Colin Firth again. Lots of beautiful and lingering shots, that builds up the tension and suspense, and some shocking and cruel scenes. I enjoyed this more than I expected. An intelligent film and one that certainly makes you use you brain and concentrate! I think I have grown up! :giggle: 7/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#290 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:01 am

prettyxcool wrote:Finally saw this tonight at Shitsbury Avenue, which was packed. Screen 7 must be one of the better screens. I sat on the back row and had a great view and the seats were really comfy. Lots of latecomers though and got in the way of some subtitles in the film, obviously did not know the rule of free previews, that they do not have trailers?

Anyway, a slow moving film, no car chases, thrills and spills, glamour or gadgets, but an intriguing espionage film in seedy London, which engrosses and absorbs you. Strong and flawless performances from a really great British cast, lovely to see Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch and Colin Firth again. Lots of beautiful and lingering shots, that builds up the tension and suspense, and some shocking and cruel scenes. I enjoyed this more than I expected. An intelligent film and one that certainly makes you use you brain and concentrate! I think I have grown up! :giggle: 7/10
Those latecomers may have been normal cineworld ticket purchasers and so expected the usual 20min trailer as these screenings are on the normal cineworld listing, I got in with my unlimited pass myself. I saw it at wandsworth and there were also a lot more late comers than usual for a preview screening. but they did interrupt my focus on the film so can i blame them for not following the story, that way I dont look so stupid, lol.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ