Crazy, Stupid, Love

Discuss movies (including free films)
waltsdog

Re: Crazy, Stupid, Love

#121 Post by waltsdog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Went to see this as despite it not being my type of film it had very good reviews. Unfortunately it was much as I expected, none of the jokes hit for me and it really wasn't worth sitting through the almost 2 hours of mediocrity for the one genuinely amusing moment (I wont include the spoiler as everyone else seems to have enjoyed it). If they cut half an hour or so it would probably be a much better film but as is I can give it no more than 4/10.

claire
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: westfieldlondon /shepherds bush / hammersmith/ wandsworth/whitleys/ west end / wimbledon

#122 Post by claire » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Just seen this at shepherds bush. Was worried when I first got there as there was kids everywhere! Then I realised kids am film today was cars 2.

The first half an hour or so I was pretty bored was wandering what people were saying at it being really funny. Until the parent teacher meeting that is then I really enjoyed the rest. It was quite funny. Worth gettin up early on a Sunday for.
Now off for Sunday lunch. Mmmm. Roast dinner.
Member 58 of the "100 free films in 2013" club
64seen 36 to go

member No.58 of the "100 free films in 2012" club
57 seen
Member No. 64 of the "100 free films in 2011" club.

claire
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: westfieldlondon /shepherds bush / hammersmith/ wandsworth/whitleys/ west end / wimbledon

#123 Post by claire » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm

i have to add that i never really understood before why people liked ryan gosling
omg im converted now :mrgreen:
esp after he took his shirt off :D :D
64seen 36 to go

57 seen

LadyJo

#124 Post by LadyJo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I don't know why it is(apart from I don't think he's funny & his monotone voice grates me) , but I just can't take to Steve Carrell at all (I HATED Date Night.) This film was ok in my opinion but I would have enjoyed it much better with a different actor in the lead role! Maybe then I wouldn't have found the film so slow and long.

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#125 Post by Celini » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:54 pm

ansbro81 wrote:i have to add that i never really understood before why people liked ryan gosling
interesting! for me it was the worst of Ryan Gosling's films (at least from all the ones I have seen)!
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

claire
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#126 Post by claire » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Celini wrote:
ansbro81 wrote:i have to add that i never really understood before why people liked ryan gosling
interesting! for me it was the worst of Ryan Gosling's films (at least from all the ones I have seen)!
not for his acting . for his looks and body
lol
64seen 36 to go

57 seen

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#127 Post by kevinknapman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Typical Vue incompetence at Shepherds Bush this morning. Got into the screen at 10 and it was stupidly hot. Thankfully they turned the air-con on after about 5 minutes. They then started the film off at 10.15 with the lights up and the film in the wrong ratio. After a couple of minutes they turned it off. At 10.30 they started it again....with the lights up and the film in the wrong ratio. Luckily someone got up to tell them.

Anyway after that, I thoroughly enjoyed this. The cast was great and there was an awful lot of laugh out loud moments. The Gosling/Carrell partnership was wonderful and very funny. Ryan Gosling in particular showing a flair for comedy that's a far cry from his quiet role in Drive. Emma Stone was as adorable as ever and she had great chemistry with Gosling. Jonah Bobo was also very good as the son.

Putting in two almost identical twists may have been a bit much but I have to admit that the second one totally took me by surprise. Admittedly that was due to a bit of cheeky misdirection on the film-makers part but it was nicely done. The scene where we found out the twist was a wonderfully farcical comic set piece and a definite highlight.

Not perfect perhaps (it did feel a little overlong) but I laughed a lot and it was a fine way to start my Sunday morning (despite Vue's attempts to ruin it).
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#128 Post by hopeprince » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Saw this at Shepherd's Bush this morning. Got there ok even though I haven't been there before. It is a very lovely and hilarious film. One of those movies that you leave with that fuzzy and warm feeling with. Their are some twists that where very unexpected and I really got this vibe from the trailer that the ending was going to be not something you wouldn't want for the characters but it was good. Emma, Julia, Steve and Ryan  were all fantastic and the plot was good. It's all you want in a rom-com really. 10/10 
Go See this if you haven't. 
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#129 Post by valda » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm

I was at Shepherds Bush also, I thought my mates were already in there, so went to go in and realised the film had already started, then as I went to check it was the right screening room, I bumped into my mate so we went back and yeah the film had stopped. Even thought when it was started again in the wrong ratio with the lights on, and then sorted out, I still felt it was a bit out of focus but that could be the new glasses.

I was rather bored by the film itself, I had the eye candy to look at, which was great. Steve Carell isn't an actor I like, and I just wasn't interested in him and his family. I would have been happier to see a film about a playa falling in love with a normal PG13 girl and how she changed him. Ryan did look good, and I wonder why I've not seen him before I saw Drive? Emma Stone was wasted imo 6/10 for the body and Emma Stone
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

opas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 157
Preferred Cinemas: Central London (All West End), East London (WIQ, Stratford), North London (Islington), South East London (Greenwich, Surrey Quays), Cineworld Ilford and West London (Shepherds Bush, Whiteleys)

#130 Post by opas » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Valda, have you ever seen The Notebook? I was never that keen on Ryan Gosling as I first remember seeing him in Murder by Numbers where he was a very unlikeable character you could never find attractive. However I recently saw The Notebook (about 5 years late!) and now CSL. He has definitely won me round and can see why some people think he is a big deal!
Member No. 16 of the "100 free films in 2016" club
3 seen / 97 to go

41 films seen in 2015, 55 films seen in 2013, 72 free films seen in 2012
60 free films seen in 2011, 57 free films seen in 2010
51 free films seen in 2009, 47 free films seen in 2008