Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax

#41 Post by Beate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:04 pm

I saw it at the O2 where it started at 4pm.

LOL - we had loads of kids in our screening too but I thought they were quite good. I don't like sitting behind them though because contrary to the naive "oh they won't be tall, that's great" belief that my OH holds, they move about all the time and sit up extra high sometimes, then lean across over 2 seats to Mummy to say something. I also had a massive guy next to me who kept readjusting his position, every time nearly catapulting me out of my seat. But we got our favourite seats in the balcony because we were extra early (hey if you snooze, you lose!) and saw Rainey and her well-behaved kids.

I've seen this already in April but had completely forgotten that there were musical numbers in it! Quite frankly, I have no idea why the film is called The Lorax as that yellow guy doesn't really get all that much to do and wasn't the main focus in my opinion. There was a lovely array of cute creatures though, and Audrey was right when she exclaimed "How cool is your Granny!"

8.5/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

mandmc10
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 0

#42 Post by mandmc10 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Lovely film! Bright colours, great animation, nice story with a clever message, nice soundtrack (music and songs). Enjoyed listening to Danny de Vito, especially after seeing Sunshine boys twice!

Anyway great film! o/

SocialFlutterBy
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Renfrew Street Glasgow
I have tickets for: The Way, Win Win, Thor 3D Water For Elephants
I haven't got tickets for: Pirates Of The Caribean On Stranger Tides ;)

#43 Post by SocialFlutterBy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Seen this today at a fairly packed Glasgow Showcase, can't say i was overly impressed by it, it was pleasant enough though for a sunday morning freebie 6/10
A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking. (Jerry Seinfeld)

Member No 37 of the 100 Free Films Club 2014
4 seen 96 to go (Target 50)

saleha78
Air Force One
Air Force One

#44 Post by saleha78 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Watched this at the o2 (got there at 3:40 so too late to get a balcony seat but got good seats downstairs at the back).

Brilliant film, my (almost) three year old loved it too! Even my 18 month old sat still for the first 45 minutes of it, then had a 10 minute walk outside to stretch his legs so missed out some parts. Still, really enjoyed it, very strong message but fun to watch at the same time.

Although I loved watching it in 3D, it was a little difficult convincing my two to keep their glasses on!

Loved the musical bits too.

9/10

Octopus

#45 Post by Octopus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I loved the animation and the fact we didn't have that many kids talking / screaming / crying (hallelujah!) :)
The 3D was good, like Ice Age it was not a headache-3D.
Pictures: good. Voices: good. Story: good. Bears: lovely
As my friend said: "the guys who create this kind of film are crazy", indeed, it's more for grown ups with kids spirit than for... kids with kids spirit. I guess.
7/10

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#46 Post by funthing29 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm

This is just so cute and adorable, I really loved it. The animation is so vibrant and colourful, and combined with excellent use of 3D, the characters really pop off the screen. Perhaps the villain is a bit weak but it is so charming and had me chuckling and smiling throughout. Delightful stuff. 8/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

big_bad_wolf
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Bournemouth,Poole & Southampton
I have tickets for: haywire

#47 Post by big_bad_wolf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Saw this at Bournemouth Odeon this morning,we were put in a small cinema room which surprised us as a kiddies film, guess they hope it does well during summer holidays. This film was great for kids and adults,good story (save the trees) great 3D and some little tunes to hum too.All the kids behaved themselves so thats a good sign they enjoyed the film and just the right time limited so no toilet runs.8/10 o/
Member No. 28 of the "free films in 2014" club 8 seen 42 to go.Image

Cinemas :
    ImageBournemouth,Poole and SouthamptonImage

Got Tickets For:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

moggers
    The Sixth Sense
    The Sixth Sense
    Old post count: 404
    Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Braehead, Odeon Quay, Cineworld Glasgow.

#48 Post by moggers » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm

What a lovely film. I had my daughter and her 2 friends with me at Glasgow Showcase which was full. We had a 7 yr old, an 9 yr old and a nearly 10 yr old and no toilet trips which is always a good sign as I thought it might have been a bit young for them. The 3D was well used and a good message. 8/10 for us.

Rainey
    Se7en
    Se7en
    Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#49 Post by Rainey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm

This was our second viewing today of The Lorax, we enjoyed it again very much, we've only just stopped singing 'Let it Grow' from last time and now it's back in our heads!

Again, it's bright, colourful, fun, very cute forest animals, Granny Norma steals the show and has a lovely message behind. Very nice to see Beate & OH again too.
    Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

Jayman
    Se7en
    Se7en

#50 Post by Jayman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Watched at The O2 this afternoon. Despite the bastard brat kicking my seat throughout, I still managed to enjoy the movie. Slow start, not sure where it was going initially, wasn't sure the air brand marketing bit could've possibly been faithful to the Dr. Seuss original but it became much more interesting (& relevant) once the Lorax character appeared. Dynamite finale too!

Beautiful animation, all round great performances and highly energetic musical sequences.
    Having said all of this, I do still think 2008's 'Horton Hears a Who' was LOADS better.

Recommended.
    Last edited by Jayman on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
    ImageImage