All things bright and Bollywood discussion thread

Discuss movies (including free films)
TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

All things bright and Bollywood discussion thread

#1 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 am

I saw an Indian film called Kahaani tonight. This is a superb mystery drama thriller about a pregnant women looking for her missing husband in Kolkata (where is that, Bangladesh?). Anyway It rolls like a great detective thriller and it knocked me for a couple of sixes along the way. The acting was great too with some nice little comic relief mainly from a clueless police chief. The editing is strangely choppy but you you can taste and smell the culture of the location.

I wont say anymore about the story, the fun is in its unravelling. Its so refreshing to see a film that isnt cliched and predictable unlike Contraband which I saw as a double bill with this. Although this is a Bollywood film, its devoid of any song and dances. This is proper straight storytelling and I really recommend this to anyone who love a good quality suspense mystery. I guarantee you wont correctly predict how this will pan out.

9/10

This was actually the first Bollywood film i have ever seen in a cinema so I was well surprised when an intermission occurred half way at the Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue. Is this normal for all Bollywood films? I have watched films with intermissions before but only at Picturehouses showing epic length movies like Titanic and Heat.
Last edited by TheyCallMeMrGlass on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

Re: Kahaani

#2 Post by anakin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:25 am

Kolkata is Calcutta. It's in India! But v close to Bangladesh, I believe.

Have just looked it up it's in the state of West Bengal, but still in India.
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#3 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks Anakin...I literally failed Geography at school :oops:
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.

David_Jeenola

#4 Post by David_Jeenola » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am

Intermissions are a regular occurrence in asian/bollywood films, as majority on average are around 3 hours long or more! Thanks for the review, might go and check it out sometime this week o/

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#5 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 pm

The intermission was brilliantly placed David. A real cliffhanger moment, where the whole audience (including me) went "oh no!", lol.

If you watch a lot of Bollywood films, perhaps you can recommend some to us? Not sure if there is a thread created for it but it may be worth having a dedicated Bollywood one :)

Ms Thrifty

#6 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:25 pm

I am grateful for this recommendation, Mr G, since (as I have mentioned here a few times already!) I love Bollywood films. Shame it is not showing at many cinemas; would be quite hard for me to track this one down but I shall try if it hangs around beyond this week. With intermissions, I often find the cinema goes straight onto the next reel (or whatever the modern equivalent is) so you never know whether it is safe to leave your seat.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#7 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:I am grateful for this recommendation, Mr G, since (as I have mentioned here a few times already!) I love Bollywood films. Shame it is not showing at many cinemas; would be quite hard for me to track this one down but I shall try if it hangs around beyond this week. With intermissions, I often find the cinema goes straight onto the next reel (or whatever the modern equivalent is) so you never know whether it is safe to leave your seat.
Oh I recall you do! Its now only showing at Cineworld cinemas but a few in London. Bad news though, it looks like its ending its run on Thursday this week as Cineworld website isnt listing it anywhere on Friday :(

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/films/kahaani.html

I thought I might rename this thread as a Bollywood thread but then on second thoughts some of these films might deserve its own thread which might appeal to non-Bollywood film goers...such as this film. Think I might as well add a trailer here to hopefully entice everyone ;) Is it normal for Bollywood trailers not to have English subtitles, though? Dont they want to sell their films to a western audience?

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#8 Post by anakin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Perhaps a general Bollywood discussion thread in addition? I'd get on there...!
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#9 Post by hopeprince » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:21 am

Saw this on Friday, after seeing the trailer at Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya. A friend said there was great expectations from Vidya Balan, who plays the pregnant woman, because she seemed to collect every Best Female actress award with her last film.

Kahaani is a well-made film with attention-grabbing script, marvelous performances and above all Vidya Balan’s well-delivered act as a pregnant woman. I definitely wasn't expecting that ending. Bollywood films are stepping up with their delivery. 9/10

Edit: Running Hot Water at your service :p
Last edited by hopeprince on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#10 Post by hopeprince » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am

TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:Is it normal for Bollywood trailers not to have English subtitles, though? Dont they want to sell their films to a western audience?

You really have to search for one but it isn't common.
anakin wrote:Perhaps a general Bollywood discussion thread in addition? I'd get on there...!
I wouldnt mind one. I love Bollywood films.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.