Miscellaneous Film Events

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Re: Miscellaneous Film Events

#41 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 am

Well after being unable to offload my winning tickets from the Terracotta Film Club for Revenge: A Love Story at the Prince Charles Cinema tonight, my friend persuaded me to go. I am glad I went after all, as it was actually a very tender love story, and so, so tragic. Although, some scenes were extremely gruesome and brutal, and the murders scenes were a little too much, it was not any worse than some other violent films that I have seen previously. You are not left with sympathy for anyone, the revenge is so obsessive, but there seems to be a profound message at the end, "ultimate revenge is in forgiveness" or something like that. Original story written by Juno Mak, who also played the main character who would stop at nothing until his revenge was complete, at whatever costs, which makes it so tragic.

I was expecting an extremely gory, killing Asian film, but it was totally unexpected thriller, and quite a good story! I was entertained. 7/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

TheDude
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#42 Post by TheDude » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:18 am

The launch event for the Portobello Film Festival last night turned out to be quite an interesting, fun and somewhat chaotic evening. First we had the gallery opening, a lot of great artwork from the likes of Inkie, Sickboy, Dotmasters, people from the Mutoid Waste Company, etc. - worth checking out while it's there if any of those names ring a bell... http://popmodernportobello.wordpress.com/events/

Then the premiere of Anarchist: The Malcolm McLaren Generation, which was introduced by the director and then had to be stopped after 10 minutes when the fire alarm kept going off. Turns out the bin in the upstairs toilets was on fire, so we all had to shuffle outside the building while the fire brigade sorted everything out. It was a nice warm evening, good atmosphere, the gallery staff were great, they kept bringing out beers for us all while we waited.... I think some people soon gave up and went home but we were eventually allowed back in after an hour or so, and the film got going again around 9-ish.

I can't say I loved it, but a lot of it was interesting (especially for me when they got talking about punk). It feels like it needs some editing though, as it's three hours long (we were there til after midnight!), so I won't give it a rating yet. Also, all that free beer was soon kicking in and frankly during the last half hour of the film I was drifting off a little bit...

Anyway, the Portobello Film Festival is on now, and it goes on for the next two weeks. I go every year if I can, it's in my neck of the woods and it's all free (magic word!) :D http://www.portobellofilmfestival.com/

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#43 Post by prettyxcool » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Went to tonight's screening of Beautiful Thing at The Mayfair Hotel screening room.

I thought it was organised by Attitude 360 London (a venue in Millbank), so entered the comp. I did it from my phone so did not look at the link, as some of the films look good! It was only after I entered, I realised it is organised by Attitude Magazine. Nonetheless, looked forward to the screening. Wow, what a lot gorgeous, gorgeous men when I arrived, a roomful, it was totally packed, and only 4 girls including myself! We were treated to bags and bags of new popchips "katy's kettle corn'.

The film was introduced by Attitude's editor, and we were treated to Katy's kettle corn commercial before the film started, which was a lot of fun and very corny! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PleGOT0bI3k

So enjoyed the evening and the film, lighthearted, heartwarming, funny and well acted. So realistic, life on a London council estate. Classic. 10/10

Fingers crossed I win some more tickets for the other films.

Thanks celini for posting the comp.
http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... ng#p310263

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2

#44 Post by prettyxcool » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:09 am

Where to post this?

Went to Fire with Fire at the Covent Garden Hotel (thanks to Sunny Saver) - not been there before and it is a very nice place indeed. It was a private screening before the film is released to DVD. There were water and strangely sweet and salty (yes, both mixed in the packets) Propercorn and Tesco's sweet and salted popcorn on the seats, and since the screening room was half full, everyone left with more packs after the film, taking them off the empty seats! There were a couple of unopened multipacks left on the table which a couple of quick thinking persons took as well! :D

Enjoyed the film, it was pretty predictable but fast paced. Nice to see Bruce Willis, but his part was so small, I was hoping there would be a dramatic turn and he would jump into action, but he really made no effect on the film, whether he was in it or not. 7/10.

2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2

#45 Post by prettyxcool » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 am

Went to the second screening of The Attitude Gay Film Festival. This time more couples were there, i.e. not of the same sex :D so more of a mix of ladies and gentlemen as opposed to the first screening last week. Given more Katy's Popchips (those bags are really hard to get into though), and saw the Fat Cat ad again, which still provided a giggle. The film was Priscilla Queen of the Desert. It felt a little dated, but Guy Pearce was hilarious as the very pretty drag queen and Terence Stamp was really good as the tranny. They actually looked pretty attractive with make up :D A road trip with a difference. 8/10

2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#46 Post by Sunny Saver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

prettyxcool wrote:Where to post this?

Went to Fire with Fire at the Covent Garden Hotel (thanks to Sunny Saver) - not been there before and it is a very nice place indeed. It was a private screening before the film is released to DVD. There were water and strangely sweet and salty (yes, both mixed in the packets) Propercorn and Tesco's sweet and salted popcorn on the seats, and since the screening room was half full, everyone left with more packs after the film, taking them off the empty seats! There were a couple of unopened multipacks left on the table which a couple of quick thinking persons took as well! :D

Enjoyed the film, it was pretty predictable but fast paced. Nice to see Bruce Willis, but his part was so small, I was hoping there would be a dramatic turn and he would jump into action, but he really made no effect on the film, whether he was in it or not. 7/10.

Save me some then :mrgreen:.

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en

#47 Post by Sunny Saver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en

#48 Post by Sunny Saver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

yogi
Se7en
Se7en

#49 Post by yogi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

I was at a mini Lebowski Fest last night at the Dancehouse in Manchester. Not free unfortunately, but a great night of cocktails and taking it easy!

I was a bit wary, but there was a great atmosphere, a respectful crowd when appropriate and howls of laughter the rest of the time.

As you can some people (neither of these are me I must add) really got into the spirit....

Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2021" club 2 down 98 to go
(Hopefully I can beat last years 12! Unlikely to beat 2013’s 91)

2021: A Quiet Place 2 8.5/10
2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8.5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2

#50 Post by prettyxcool » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:20 am

I do love foreign films, so jumped at a chance to see some, when I got invited to see a couple of films at the China Image Film Festival to promote China films, at the Odeon Panton Street, last week.

Finding Mr Right was a box office hit in China, a romantic comedy about a pregnant material girl who comes to Seattle to have her baby. She watches a lot of American films, not least Sleepless in Seattle, and develops a blossoming romance with her driver, once a famous doctor in China, and predictably there is an almost identical scene on the Empire State building. Charming, funny and heartwarming. 8/10

Unfortunately, the second film, Pretty Maid, a drama, did not have English subtitles and at the Q&A afterwards, the organisers and director apologised as they had the wrong copy of the film! A lot of people who do not speak Mandarin walked out, but I and an English guy persevere as we were with Mandarin speaking friends. It is such a shame as the main purpose of this international festival was to introduce Europe to China films. The theme of the film was also very topical, with a daughter employing a maid from a village in Southern China to care for her elderly Professor father in Beijing while she goes to another city to work, with the ensuing mutual misunderstandings between the father and the carer. The father is reluctant to be cared for, and the carer is desperate to take the job as she needs it to educate her daughter in Beijing. It was beautifully film, and the performances looked pretty good, but sadly without subtitles I kept nodding off and had a nice snooze instead!

2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen