[BLOG] Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Discuss movies (including free films)
saleha78
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Madagascar 3

#1 Post by saleha78 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Cant see a topic for this already so thought I'd start one!

Anyone went to see it at Empire today? Kids and hubby and I all loved it! Only thing was the 3d glasses, they were too big for my two little ones! So they had them off throughout most of the film which was a shame.

Staff were all really friendly, kids got huge round whirly lollipops when we first went it (one of which I finished by myself :D ) and had pics taken, got balloons and there was painting too but we didn't have enough time to get that done. There were packs of sweet popcorn and water bottles waiting for us on/by our seats.

The film, I'd give it a 9/10, the first one is still my favourite.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

#2 Post by canadian_turtle » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Saw this at the Empire this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a multimedia screening (I assumed this to be a "regular" screening as part of the FDA showcase). There were no free cakes or drinks, alas, but there were people dressed up as characters, a green screen to get your photo takes (which of course I did) and balloons for all the children of the world. Well, not quite, but there were plenty.

I really enjoyed the film! I didn't think it was as amazing as the first one but it was definitely better than the second (which wasn't half-bad in itself). The story wasn't quite as realistic (for as far as talking animals are realistic...) as in the original film and I am not a huge fan of circus themed stories to begin with but there were so many hilarious bits that had me in stitches that it all didn't matter too much. Of course King Julian, Mort (who we didn't see enough of but had a BRILLIANT opening scene) and the psychotic penguins were the best (aren't they always) but the new circus additions were quite fun to. Particularly the sea lion. The VERY colourful circus climax scene was completely ott but still pretty amazing and fantastic to look at.

9.5/10
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

#3 Post by Beate » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:14 pm

I didn't like this as much compared to the first one or any other animation I have seen recently, and while it was certainly funny, it wasn't funny enough for me. There were two girls next to me who found everything absolutely hilarious, and the more they hooted, the less funny I found it.

I think that, like Ice Age 4, this sequel, while having a few nice ideas, is scraping the barrel somewhat. You can't think about the plot too much ("Why did the baddie have to be French? How did they get to New York from Europe so quickly and on which transport system? Last time I looked there wasn't a train going over the ocean... Why could the bear not speak? etc) but it's nice entertainment for a Sunday morning.

Was sorely missing the usual breakfast this morning but did get a green screen picture taken and a nice poster at the end.

Btw, has anyone seen that the 3D glasses have an inscription on the side saying "anti-theft tag installed"? They clearly don't work....

7.5/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#4 Post by funthing29 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Not the strongest story but quite fun and some truly hilarious moments.

In comparison to other recent children's films, I thought this was definitely better than Ice Age 4 but not as good as ParaNorman.

8/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#5 Post by Jayman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm

I didn't see this, but I just thought I'd say that I thought Madagascar 2 was miles better than the first one. Whereas the first one was clearly developed with kids in mind, the second one played out like a proper adult spoof with pop-culture refrences and nods galore to seminal movies of the past (like Airplane!, Lion King and Planet of the Apes). Here's hoping the third one continues this winning formula :)
ImageImage

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#6 Post by Sunny Saver » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:34 pm

As usual, I hadn't seen the first or second films, so have no idea what happened in 1 or 2...

Anyway, I loved it, thought it was really colourful and fun and liked the 3D for once.

OH wasn't that keen, but he never really likes kid's films apart from Harry Potter and Narnia. Mum and aunty liked it too.

We went for lunch afterwards and gave our balloon to a little boy sitting on the next table. He was really happy. It was soooo sweet, he even took it to the loo with him. I think his mum might have been fed up though, as he wanted to play with it rather than the activity books she b*ght him. Maybe I should have given him one of the Madagascar ones instead.

9/10

claire
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: westfieldlondon /shepherds bush / hammersmith/ wandsworth/whitleys/ west end / wimbledon

#7 Post by claire » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Managed to see this today at the empire as well with 3 of my nephews.
We got lollypops popcorn and water. :D
I got my picture done with all the characters there. (my nephews refused)
Great fun.

Film was really good. We were all glued to it start to finish.
Loved the penguins and the sealion too. Great addition.
As others have said not as good as first one But still enjoyable

Great fun day out.
3D. Was really good for a change!! Worked quite well.
9/10 for me.

Beate wrote: How did they get to New York from Europe so quickly and on which transport system? Last time I looked there wasn't a train going over the ocean...
[spoiler]I think I remember they traveled to USA byN boat.
The four main characters in dingy attached behind as they lied to others about being from the circus.[/spoiler]
Member 58 of the "100 free films in 2013" club
64seen 36 to go

member No.58 of the "100 free films in 2012" club
57 seen
Member No. 64 of the "100 free films in 2011" club.

Snowwhite
The Third Man
The Third Man

#8 Post by Snowwhite » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:11 pm

also saw this today and it was nice to have all the activites and the popcorn and water was a nice surprise too.

having not seeing 1 or 2 so did not have much high hopes for it but it was okay and the kids seemed to enjoy it but they did say that the second was the best. did love the penguins though

8/10

jeanelle
Se7en
Se7en

#9 Post by jeanelle » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:11 pm

I have had a wonderful day (see Anna Karenina) and I absolutely LOVED this! Beautiful animation, playful 3D, loads of things going on, funny, exciting, clever! I want to see Captain Dubois in a spin-off. I want to see this film again. Terrific!

And this in spite of a cold cinema and a small person giving a running commentary just behind my left ear.
Preferred Cinemas :
Richmond, Kingston, West End, Wimbledon, Shepherds Bush, Clapham, Westfield, Fulham

jojojoanne
Se7en
Se7en

#10 Post by jojojoanne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Beate wrote:Btw, has anyone seen that the 3D glasses have an inscription on the side saying "anti-theft tag installed"? They clearly don't work....

7.5/10
:bwl: