[BLOG] Taken 2

Discuss movies (including free films)
Spring
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London
I have tickets for: 21 Jump Street @ Shepherds Bush
I haven't got tickets for: Happy to receive for all :)

Re: Taken 2

#41 Post by Spring » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 am

asamaic wrote:
I hadn't seen the first film, but worked out the previous plot from the flashbacks. Was really cheesy and, dare I say it, fun - but I'm not sure that an action film with that much violence is meant to be fun? There was loads of laughter at certain points, but I don't think the director actually intended for those moments to be funny!

The phones queue was horrendous - first time I've had to check a phone in and ooh, never again. I'm leaving all electronic devices at the office next time!

Don't really know how to rate this - I did laugh, I'm glad I went, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily recommend it to anyone and I think I was supposed to be more gripped/scared than entertained. Odd one.

[spoiler]I thought the ex-wife/mother of his child was meant to die in 30 minutes without medical intervention - felt like she was a prisoner for a lot longer than that. Hmm.[/spoiler]
Asamaic you covered all the bases, I completly agree with you. My friend really enjoyed it :confused: perhaps because he's a boy!
Spring

andrew.falconer
The Third Man
The Third Man

#42 Post by andrew.falconer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:21 am

This really wound me up about one of the "big" scenes

[spoiler]Did anyone think the car chase was a bit silly considering the daughter learnt how to drive an automatic in america, but suddenly she was an expert at driving a manual/stick shift car like a rally driver? Really annoyed me[/spoiler]

Avisute

#43 Post by Avisute » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 am

Beate wrote:
drizzy5oh wrote:Firstly, apologies I stole at least 4 bottles of lager :roll: sorry!

I quite liked it - it very much poked fun at the first film. The humour was excellent, loved the scenes with Liam Neeson, his daughter and her boyfriend and how he found his address at the start!

I like the whole thing with Liam Neeson remembering the directions/landmarks with the hood over his head.

Loved the whole thing where he explained to his daughter about the map, the circles, the grenades etc!

All in all, just as good as the first. Great movie. 8/10.
Yeah, you definitely had too much to drink.
Boom! :bwl: :bwl:

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#44 Post by ladams888 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

Saw this last night at the Odeon Leicester Square. It was a great comedy. Oh, you say it was a thriller? Oh well - bad thriller, brilliant comedy! The script was appalling, the acting was either completely wooden or completely OTT. The story was contrived, full of plot-holes and just plain stupid. How many times did Liam Neeson say "Faster, Kim"? I lost count. I would not recommend it to anyone - even to watch at home on DVD. 2/10

Well organized screening, especially given the size of the cinema. The beer was very welcome too. There was a great atmosphere inside the auditorium. More screenings should offer free beer!

andrew.falconer
The Third Man
The Third Man

#45 Post by andrew.falconer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 am

ladams888 wrote: More screenings should offer free beer!
Here here! Although I wish I had consumed a lot more...I might have then have enjoyed the film a bit. I was seething for a good hour or so afterwards at just how bad it was!

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#46 Post by Beate » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 am

Yes but free drink before the film makes for a very interrupted screening, with everyone to the toilet all the time. It might be a ploy though to make you like the film more. It seemed to have worked with drizzy5oh!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Flabber
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Cinemas in order of preference: All central London, North Finchley, Holloway, Enfield

#47 Post by Flabber » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 am

Jayman wrote:Did anybody else get a stiffy when the music from Drive started playing? (or the HTC One X ad) ?
Well spotted … didn’t’ realise until it was mentioned. Think I need to watch Drive again, that was a great movie.
Jayman wrote:No? How about the tune from the Internet Explorer 9 ad?
Thank you… was up all night trying to figure out which ad the music came from. :wall:
andrew.falconer wrote:This really wound me up about one of the "big" scenes
[spoiler]Did anyone think the car chase was a bit silly considering the daughter learnt how to drive an automatic in america, but suddenly she was an expert at driving a manual/stick shift car like a rally driver? Really annoyed me[/spoiler]
[spoiler]As soon as she started driving like an expert stunt driver (Drive reference again, ba-boom), I started wondering the same… they mostly drive automatics in the US don’t they?[/spoiler]
Is this even worthy of a rating?
An overly generous 4/10, this from someone who enjoyed Taken. :confused:
Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#48 Post by funthing29 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 am

A poor follow up to Taken. Ridiculous in every sense of the word: dumb script, awful dialogue, thin plot and the set up was too slow at the beginning.

Neeson deserves better than this.

4/10
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#49 Post by canadian_turtle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:12 am

I pretty much agree with everything said above, it was terribly terribly bad and nothing compared to the awesome first movie. Poor script, poor acting (they were overdoing every single emotion), etc. However, despite how all that I did enjoy it. Possibly mostly due to the unintentional hilarity of it all. And how ubershort it was (or felt at least).

I personally thought the best bits were in the first half of the film when Kim was trying to find her father (though lol at her throwing the last two grenades at random without even looking if there was anyone near) and the brief scenes they were together (no matter how unrealistic it all was, it's just a film after all).

One thing I didn't understand though:

[spoiler]Neeson's character all cleverly counted and listened while blindfolded to see where they were going and then repeated this to find his ex-wife, but was this even relevant to where she was staying? I thought he counted the miles and turns to wherever it was they were being held together (and where he escaped from with Kim's help) but as soon as he and Kim were together they bundled up his ex-wife into a car and drove off (to an I assume unknown destination). Kind of convenient they came back to the exact same place after he'd left?[/spoiler]
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Hsd24
Air Force One
Air Force One

#50 Post by Hsd24 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Disappointing sequel. Taken 1 was wayy better.

5/10