Frankenweenie

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Frankenweenie

#21 Post by Beate » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm

:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

#22 Post by EthanRunt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm

The script is dire. Everyone speaks in exposition, one particularly grating line, as the kids are handed parental notes about a science fair, a larger kid, in where should be a joke or something interesting, says "First place is a big trophy". Why? Why is this there? In an hour and a quarter film, did you really need that line?
But that's only one of the bugbears. The animation is mediocre at best, with limited depth in the 3D, the character models are so painfully Burton-esque, they don't feel organic or anything but cynical cash-ins of the Burton style. Voice acting is wrong, O'Hara and Short play a few characters, and you notice that they are the same actors in the roles. Ryder's husky voice for a 10 year old is utterly disconcerting.
But worst of all is the moral message of the film.

A kid's best friend is killed, so with science, he reanimates the corpse.
[spoiler]The end, when you think the point is about moving on, and that memories are important, cherishing your time with these things, they decide to let the main character re-reanimate the corpse. So, what does that mean, kids, it's good to dig up dead pets and use electricity to bring them back to life? Erm, no.[/spoiler]

As a kids film, its lack of solid laughs or quality pace is weird, the moments where it gets scaryish are played in the 'shove it into the face of the kids' kind of manner, which is absolutely the wrong way for going about it. Ultimately, the film doesn't know how to handle all the age-groups of the audience, and eels like it panders at times, and then doesn't fit any audience for the majority.
A joyless experience through and through. And I saw it twice. (Once for the seat out of the cold, free 3D glasses and opportunity to get some sleep, between loud jump-scare-failed-attempt moments)

BettyBoop

#23 Post by BettyBoop » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Don't know what to say......kids loved it! I didn't x

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#24 Post by Beate » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#25 Post by Yinster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Back from Glasgow. Sat with friends, teddybear1 and OH, ploggit and McG. OH decided she didn't want to see it.

Well it was okay. Didn't need the 3D at all. Right length of film. Any longer and it would had dragged! Agree with EthanRunt. After the impact of the last scene it should have been left but no they do the opposite. Watching several scene was like deja vu. They were very similar to other films. And it is definitely not a children PG film. 12A at least.

5/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

TheDude
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#26 Post by TheDude » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Blah... I don't care what anyone says, I loved it. Just for balance, here's IGN's review, they gave it 9/10.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/21/f ... nie-review

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#27 Post by funthing29 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I thought this started really well, a touching story of a relationship between a boy and his dog, quite simple at its core. The film really lost its way in the second half. The finale became too theatrical (with too much going on) and the message got diluted. The ending doesn't sit right.

The animation wasn't mind blowing but the characters were creepy and gothic and suited the mood of the film well. The 3D was barely noticeable and only enhanced the film in a handful of scenes. I also felt some of the voicework was too obviously done by the same actors and don't see why they couldn't have expanded the cast list.

It is barely 90 minutes but it felt quite long. Not my favourite children's film, and not one I would be in a hurry to watch again, but I adored Sparky and thought the black and white visual style makes this unique from other stop motion animation. 7/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

ploggit
Phase IV
Phase IV

#28 Post by ploggit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Another Tim Burton animation for whatever audience he makes these films for. Too gruesome for wee kids, too quirky for in betweens, not funny enough for the grown-ups who want to be entertained too when they take their kids to the movies. But I enjoyed it just about enough.

I agree with yinster about the PG vs 12A - but in all truth in this 21st century certification is all over the place and whatever rules there are seem to be very flexible....

Thanks to the usual suspects for letting me join them on the back row.

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 404
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Braehead, Odeon Quay, Cineworld Glasgow.

#29 Post by moggers » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:43 pm

I really liked it, Burton doing what I think he does best. As a parent I thought the PG rating was fair, 12A live action films are far worse.

midian
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: lea valley, enfield, any in greenwich, west india quay

#30 Post by midian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 pm

i thought it was passable; some scary bits for the kids but all told a bit of a disappointment for adults. mind you i did love the science teacher's speech - but there is not enough love in me for the rest of the film to give it a high grade. i also think the ending missed an important, um, something.

[spoiler]i think victor should have died and stayed dead. i shuddered when even the dog gets the babe-dog. and wither mr whiskers if we are celebrating life above all? i was looking forward to seeing how they brought back the amazing fortune-telling cat[/spoiler]

5.5/10