Discuss movies (including free films)
jcolombi
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Leamington

Celeste & Jesse Forever

#1 Post by jcolombi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Seen as there is a preview of this tomorrow it seems appropriate to start up a thread/topic!
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

A pony walks into the bar and whispers, "I'll have a beer, please." The barkeeper asks, "Why are you whispering?".
"I'm a little hoarse."

Ms Thrifty

Re: Celeste & Jesse Forever

#2 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 am

I've seen this (at the LFF) and found it very hard to get a perspective upon. In parts it resembled a typical rom-com but of course, given the context in which I saw it (full auditorium, enthusiastic audience), I almost felt at a disadvantage in making up my own mind compared to my usual experience (sparsely-attended performances with no clue as to the reactions of others, if indeed there are even any present). I also struggled with the fact that I liked Rashida Jones but found Andy Samberg immensely irritating (though he was probably meant to be) and reminiscent of so many other characters in similar roles. So maybe a 6.5 from me.
Last edited by Ms Thrifty on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#3 Post by EthanRunt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 am

Was really looking forward to it, love Rashida, love Andy, figured it'd be a smart take-down of rom-coms. Ultimately it's a smug, lifeless, trying to be hip load of crap with badly written characters, unfunny jokes and a failure to get any heart out.
Last edited by EthanRunt on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ms Thrifty

#4 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, EthanRunt - now corrected. I wouldn't damn this to quite the extent you have but clearly I was in two minds about it. I think if people like romcoms and go without expecting too much, they will have a pleasant, undemanding experience.

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#5 Post by Celini » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm

A strong contender to enter my bottom 10 of the year. As I was watching, I could not find anything positive about it.
The phallic joke was not funny the first time, not funny the second time and rather upsetting the third time.
I don't understand how they could have gotten it so wrong, I think I'd blame the script as the acting was alright ( although the lack of chemistry between the leads made their love story pretty unbelievable!)
4/10
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#6 Post by valda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Well this wasn't for me, I could tell from the opening Montage I wouldn't like it. 2 couples walked out pretty quickly and I followed after about 45 mins. Couldn't stand any of the characters, the music the story............. Non of the characters came across as real and I couldn't be bothered to stay any longer - especially with the bag rustler sitting behind Jeancomp.

Lots of Fmukkers there and that was the only good thing.
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

scooby
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by scooby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Totally agree, would have left but stayed assuming the characters would become more likeable, believable it did not work on so many levels I am still cringing

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#8 Post by biggins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Two people walked out and another two followed their lead. The man fell in his haste to get out and landed in a heap at the bottom of the aisle but got up unhurt.

This was a load of rubbish and the worst film of the year for me. Not funny and couldn't care less about any of the characters. Stayed until the end to see if it got better - but it didn't! 2/10
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

jcolombi
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Leamington

#9 Post by jcolombi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm

I actually enjoyed this one. Although I didn't laugh much throughout the film, I thought it was enjoyable and the story was good. I thought the acting was average. Overall not a bad movie, not the best film all year but not the worst.

6/10
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

A pony walks into the bar and whispers, "I'll have a beer, please." The barkeeper asks, "Why are you whispering?".
"I'm a little hoarse."

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#10 Post by funthing29 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm

It's not anything to write home about but it's certainly not the worst film I've seen this year nor the dullest (Haywire anyone?). It just felt quite cold and pretentious. 4.5/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)