Only God Forgives

Discuss movies (including free films)
TheBoySeggy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

Re: Only God Forgives

#21 Post by TheBoySeggy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Celini wrote:
pizzakiller wrote:Does Ryan die at the end of movie like Drive?
have we watched the same movie?

@don_datta: watch half nelson or lars and the real girl ;) (or Blue Valentine!)
I'll look them up. I was just bored - plain and simple really. I've never looked at my watch so many times.

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#22 Post by Livi92 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:44 am

Oh my, one of the most boring films I've ever seen. I went with hopes that it couldn't be as bad I'd read in reviews, but oh how wrong could I be. Even Ryan Gosling couldn't save this film for me.

1/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

SocialFlutterBy
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Renfrew Street Glasgow
I have tickets for: The Way, Win Win, Thor 3D Water For Elephants
I haven't got tickets for: Pirates Of The Caribean On Stranger Tides ;)

#23 Post by SocialFlutterBy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Really really enjoyed this, despite the rather slow pace although it's the kinda film i would rather sit at home with my feet up tbh! not really a big screen movie imo!

This film as much as i loved it, hubby hated it, and very mixed reaction from fellow cinema goers Definitely this years marmite :D

8/10
A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking. (Jerry Seinfeld)

Member No 37 of the 100 Free Films Club 2014
4 seen 96 to go (Target 50)

RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

#24 Post by RAZORBACK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Saw this earlier today & quite simply think this is easily the most visually stunning movie that I've seen year.

Although I can understand why other people hate it, this turned out to be one of the few occasions when style over substance actually worked in a film's favour. I liked that my preconceptions (based on what I'd seen in the trailers) of certain characters were turned upside down and although it wasn't quite as good as 'Drive' this is still one of the better movies that I've seen this year (it comfortably makes it into my 2013 top ten :cool: ).

Overall an 8/10 from me and I certainly look forward to catching this again...
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)

Castor Troy

#25 Post by Castor Troy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:06 am

I love that everyone has their own opinions of film, however Razorback this was by far one of the worst films I've ever seen...in my opinion :-)

pizzakiller

#26 Post by pizzakiller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

There is a lot of mixed opinions on this. I think I will watch this. Thanks for the answers, it did look as thou Ryan dies at the end of drive.

RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

#27 Post by RickyRaj » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Not as good as Drive but very watchable. Was slow, but well shot I thought. 6.5/10.
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#28 Post by funthing29 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Well I can see why some love it while others hated it. It is very much a film of the director showing off since it is clear each shot has precision in its framing, lighting, sound etc. I couldn't help but notice that without the director's embellishments, there is very little story here. Memorable and engrossing but not a film I would want to watch again. 8/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

TheDude
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#29 Post by TheDude » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Hmmm, well I thought I would enjoy this one, had been looking forward to it since they announced it, but in the end found a lot of it unbearably dull. The entire story could have been condensed into a 5 minute short. Yes, points for cinematography, the score is really good, and Kristin Scott Thomas is always fun to watch even in her limited role, but after a while I was just waiting for it all to end... 5/10.

Oh and there's me thinking I'd get a quiet afternoon screening... there were mobile phones flashing all over the place throughout the film. Even "god" doesn't forgive that! :nono:

Delirium

#30 Post by Delirium » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

It's a very different film to Drive, having more in common with his Viking drama, Valhalla Rising - not least in terms of pacing and metaphysical aspects.

I loved it, but can see it being very divisive.