The Kings of Summer

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

The Kings of Summer

#1 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Should this be in miscellaneous screenings or a new thread?

Well the Roxy Bar & Screen's location in Borough High Street was ever so discreet and so was the Sainsbury's it was supposed to be next door to, that I walked past it and only knew I did, when I could see Borough Station, and knew I had gone too far coming from London Bridge. They should have pointed out the landmark building next to it which was a white building with three blue figures climbing up it, unless of course, it is not always there.

Anyone once inside, lots of comfy settees in two rows laid in a semi circle in front of a massive screen, and then tables and chairs behind. FMUKers seem to know the drill so were early to grabbed the comfy settees! I was worried about the view being obscured when you sank into those comfy settees, but I had a totally unrestricted view and I really do like it as screening room, except the noise from the bar at the back, unfortunately, can be heard.

Enjoyed this coming of age film, funny, emotional, the characters are all so natural. The oddball Biaggio is very funny. Great supporting adult cast too. An easy going, fun film, with great scenery. 8/10

When we were introduced to the film we were told that there will be a double bill so to hang around after the film, but we were not told what the film would be, although after the film during the 15 minutes break, Beate did find out. It was son of Rambow. Unfortunately, I had to be elsewhere so could not stay. I would have liked to, as the seating was so comfy and the place was so cosy.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: The Kings of Summer

#2 Post by Beate » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, even after PXC told me all about the three blue figures and the Sainsburys right next to it, I couldn't find it for the longest time. In my desperation I asked a few people sitting outside a black building where the Roxy was - turns out we had found it!

Contrary to PXC I found the leather sofas very uncomfortable and developed back pain after a while. Might have had something to do with the awkward angle we were sitting at as well. The noise from the bar was annoying too - I can't understand why they didn't have a quieter area for this.

I liked the film well enough, it's always a pleasure to see Gabriel Basso from The Big C (and was that the Mum from Diary of a Wimpy Kid?), and the Biaggio character was deliciously weird, but all in all it seemed like we'd seen it all before. I wasn't surprised it was twinned with Son of Rambow, another coming-of-age film - but Son of Rambow is more original.

We couldn't stay though, I was tired and very hungry and couldn't face that sofa any longer. Plus, I had to get back to The Big C (more Gabriel Basso). It was nice to see a bunch of FMUKers, albeit fleetingly.

7/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

Re: The Kings of Summer

#3 Post by funthing29 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

I liked this. Nice little story with quirky characters and some truly funny moments. Offerman stole the show but I would expect no less from Ron Swanson in Parks & Rec. 7.5/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)