Alita: Battle Angel

Discuss movies (including free films)
Jacket

Re: Alita: Battle Angel

#11 Post by Jacket » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:40 am

Bit late but...

I expected a YA teen movie like Hunger games etc, but was pleasantly surprised by the way the story developed (not familiar with the source material).

If they went for a 15 age rating it could have been great

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#12 Post by prettyxcool » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 am

Saw this in Screen X at Wandsworth, supposed to be immersive cinema with screens on either side, so it feels like you are inside the film. This happened only a few times when they were looking over the city, so you can get a good panorama view, when you look side to side, but otherwise, did not see the point of it or enhance my enjoyment, as all the action is straight ahead anyway. Also when the sides lit up with the film, the cinema is not in darkness and this distracted me from the film a bit. I do not think it is cut out to be what it is, perhaps not for this film, I do not know! I did not get pulled in, but it did look amazing, the panoramic view.

The blurb says:

ScreenX is the world's first multi-projection theatre technology that provides moviegoers with a 270-degree panoramic viewing experience by expanding the screen onto the side walls of the auditorium. It crafts a fully immersive experience that pulls you into the world of your favourite films like nothing before.

Anyway, back to the film. I did enjoy it, the graphics were amazing and an interesting story, with the very appealing big eyed Alita played by Rosa Salazar, being salvaged from a scrap heap, with a loss of memory, and tries to piece together her identity (hmm, very familiar with flashbacks storyline - definitely done before ;) ). Her saviour, Dr Dyson Ido, played by Christoph Waltz is not as gentle as he makes out to be either. However, it does feel like one big video game! Perhaps, I would have enjoyed it more in 3D IMAX.

Another post-apocalyptic world in the future. Why are our futures so bleak, no story otherwise!

At the end, it definitely feels like there will be an Alita 2!

7/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

gb2019
Air Force One
Air Force One

#13 Post by gb2019 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 am

Wife loved this.
Great visuals somewhat disappointed with the plot which felt a bit all over the place.
Certainly an either you'll love it or not film.

ROBO
Air Force One
Air Force One

#14 Post by ROBO » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Absolutely loved this film.

Saw it at the Wimbledon IMAX in 3D which was awesome.

Alita sure kicked ass. The love story, the good, the bad and the ugly. All great.

Give this film 9/10 o/