Mary Poppins Returns

Discuss movies (including free films)
stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

#11 Post by stuartboy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Brilliant! Kept thinking I could hear the original songs. Thought Emily Blunt was channeling a definite Miss Jean Brodie though - I could hear an Edinburgh/Scottish accent creeping in.
Did feel Michael Banks was miscast. He looked like a 12 year old wearing a false moustache. In fact he just looked like the original Michael...in a false moustache.
So good to see Dick Van Dyke appear too.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#12 Post by asamaic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:50 am

I actually saw this the other day.

I was very underwhelmed. I thought the film was respectful to the original and I appreciated the DvD cameo, but I doubt this will become a classic! I liked the character of Jane Banks - she seemed very much her mother's daughter with the campaigning and sartorial choices. Michael wasn't what I expected, but I guess he served a plot purpose.

Watchable family friendly film. I do wish that the plot hadn't been so obvious from the very beginning. I know it's a U, but even so!

PS I also thought EB sounded Scottish at times. Maybe she spent her time away from the Banks family nannying in Edinburgh! ;)
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#13 Post by raj101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

the musical side of it was well put together, and the cast were good too, cant really complain. Story felt a bit forced... singing songs about being happy-go-lucky on the eve of your house being repossessed is a bit "mentally ill" if you ask me.

. Good to see they werent afraid to use modern SFX in this old style movie.

3.5 stars. but if you hate musicals, why would you be even watching it?

Spoiler
Show
Did they CGI DvD's dance skit? There is no way he did what he did, hes 93! Someones telling porkies.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

Bobalina8895

#14 Post by Bobalina8895 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:21 pm

I absolutely loved this film. It’s magical throughout whilst still having a very dark storyline. Admittedly the sense of loss from the children can be a bit much at times, but I think that makes it all the more magical when the kids are able to break away from reality in their magical worlds of imagination. I wish a had Mary Poppins for a Nanny when growing up!