TV Series: Discuss, Review, Anticipate, and Wotnot

Chat about anything
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: TV Finales - Lost, Ashes to Ashes, Fringe, Flash Forward

#11 Post by kevinknapman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm

destresserai wrote:For Lost - that they were all dead anyway and were in a form of pergatory waiting for acceptance into their eternal life. They needed to prove whether they deserved heaven or hell.

Must admit though that all the time travel, The Others and The other Others made me doubt myself at times.
I saw the show on Monday and I don't actually agree with this theory. As far as I'm concerned they never died in the plane crash and everything that happened on the island actually happened. The island wasn't purgatory.

[spoiler]The only part of the entire 6 seasons set in purgatory or Limbo was the scenes in the last season that seemed to be an alternate reality with Sawyer a cop and Jack with a kid. This quote from Jack's dad in the final scenes actually backs it up I think:

"The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people," Christian explained. "That's why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them and they needed you."
You see. "The most important part of your life" which suggests they were alive when they were on the island. Still I think people are going to be arguing about this for a while yet.[/spoiler]

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#12 Post by destresserai » Tue May 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I agree with you somewhat in that the flashforwards that took place in LA were not real life - my idea was that they had to let go of their old lives and what they expected their lives to have been. The "most important part of your life" might not necessarily mean their life of earth! I guess it is up to the viewer to determine what life they feel was important in their eyes. For me it was establishing links with people that they wanted to spend eternity with.

At work we have four people who watched it including me and we are all pretty much split 50/50 with our idea - two with my theory and two with yours! There were still too many questions unanswered to have a definite but surely that was the fun of it all!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

kevinknapman

#13 Post by kevinknapman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Hmm. Interesting theory. Still not convinced though. In fact both JJ Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof have consistently debunked the theory that the island is purgatory. They could have been lying of course but I don't think so.

kevinknapman

#14 Post by kevinknapman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I can't wait to see the season finale of 'Fringe'. This season has been fantastic. Sadly Sky have postponed the showing of the penultimate episode so they can show the Lost Finale again. So I'll have to wait until next week to see that.

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#15 Post by destresserai » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 pm

kevinknapman wrote:Hmm. Interesting theory. Still not convinced though. In fact both JJ Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof have consistently debunked the theory that the island is purgatory. They could have been lying of course but I don't think so.
I have heard them make those comments - so maybe not purgatory in the normal understanding maybe just stuck between life and death would be a better description.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#16 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 am

destresserai wrote:
kevinknapman wrote:Hmm. Interesting theory. Still not convinced though. In fact both JJ Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof have consistently debunked the theory that the island is purgatory. They could have been lying of course but I don't think so.
Spoiler

I have heard them make those comments - so maybe not purgatory in the normal understanding maybe just stuck between life and death would be a better description.
Well tbh, I think its pretty established that only the flash "sideways" was the purgatory, everything else was as it happened. Christian Shepheard pretty much explained it to Jack. The whole flash "sideways" was an in between life and afterlife, and is not in any time as such. The island exists, and is (as we know it) protected forever by a "caretaker". Hurley being the latest. When everyone eventually dies, whether it was in the past, present or future, they enter the inbetween world that acts as some sort of trial or opportunity to repent their mistakes, or find some sort of peace/closure that made them incomplete at the point of their deaths. For some it was the Islanders who were "Lost" without each other and here (after they die) they had a chance to find each other again and find out who they really were by nature faced with different scenarios in life. Some were ready to move on, some were'nt, such as Ana Lucia and Ben. What I like about this interpretation of afterlife is that, no one is judged. Instead, they are given opportunities to make choices again faced with different scenarios than they had when they were alive. This defined ultimately who they were and whether they were ready to move on. I really like that concept.

But as much as I loved the ending, I have to say, there was a hell of a lot of anomalies from this series which simply dont make any sense! But I'll watch the series again and make up my own links even if the writers didnt have clue, lol. because one thing for sure, I will never get bored of watching these great characters that were acted superbly and entertainingly.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#17 Post by destresserai » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am

I think that no matter what theory you believe they all come back to the same thing the characters needing to find their peace before moving on. The intricates of it allows the viewer their own interpretion of the events but ultimately arriving at the same place i.e. that they have reached the point where they can move on to their afterlife.

Throughout all the series I have always found that if I re-watched an episode I took a slightly different slant on things or noticed actions and words that I had missed. Hopefully this will be the same with the finale and I have left it on the sky planner to watch again in a month or so to see how I interpret again at that time.

As always, this programme has created good dialogue which is far better than a lot of the dumb down tv we are subjected to these days.

Albert Einstein

lovesitx
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Sheffield

#18 Post by lovesitx » Wed May 26, 2010 12:09 pm

With all the hype around Lost I've decided to watch it from the start, I've only ever seen bits of it before it moved to Sky but this time round I am loving it so much more than I did before, can't believe what I've been missing out on all these years.

I don't want FF to end, recently its gotten really good, not sure where they would have taken it in S2, they obviously had some sort of idea though and I wish we just got to see it, I hope the finale is decent enough for some questions to be answered and I guess I'm kind of going miss Mark and co on a Monday night.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#19 Post by The Sparrow » Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 pm

lovesitx wrote:With all the hype around Lost I've decided to watch it from the start, I've only ever seen bits of it before it moved to Sky but this time round I am loving it so much more than I did before, can't believe what I've been missing out on all these years.

I don't want FF to end, recently its gotten really good, not sure where they would have taken it in S2, they obviously had some sort of idea though and I wish we just got to see it, I hope the finale is decent enough for some questions to be answered and I guess I'm kind of going miss Mark and co on a Monday night.
When the idea was pitched, the writers had a five year arc laid out for the show.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#20 Post by raj101 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 pm

anyone going to the Lost marathon.

lol i might just.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?