TV Series: Discuss, Review, Anticipate, and Wotnot

Chat about anything
TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

TV Series: Discuss, Review, Anticipate, and Wotnot

#1 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 am

So did anyone watch the grand finale of Lost? Did anyone stay up until 5am to watch it?!?

I watched it with 3 of my friends and they hated how it ends though slightly enjoyed the episode itself. I was the only one who was satisfied with the ending. It was a very very spiritual ending but I dug it. For me the series was always about the characters and the finale gave us a more fitting closure than I could have hoped for. But I have to agree that a lot of questions remained unanswered but I think the big scope of the island mystery is pretty much answered and looking back at everything, most events fits into place, including character's actions and motivations mostly fitting together. I say mostly, as there are some ambiguities that just dont make any bloody sense but on the whole, with ending n all, this was one of the greatest TV series I have enjoyed watching. I cannot think of one episode that bored me since it began. It was the characters that ruled right to the end. Smoke monster was a magnificent terror, as smoke and Locke form. And the destiny of all the main characters role were superbly played out.

I was really happy with it but kinda felt alone that I couldnt share that feeling with my friends who were all just talking negatively about it!

Oh and the Fringe season finale rocks, this series is promising big things for the future. I just hope that series gets a fitting end when its time comes.

Flash Forward grande finale is next week, pity its cancelled as the quality of this series jumped tenfold midway and storyline has been accelerating. Hope they get to do a fairly proper ending.

And...did anyone watch Ashes to Ashes grand finale? I havent yet because to be honest I thought Life on Mars could never be bettered. But I think I will try to catch up with Ashes to Ashes now that it has been given an apparantly complete finale. But is it a good finale?

If anyone will post their thoughts please warn everyone of any potential spoilers!
Last edited by TheyCallMeMrGlass on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Re: TV Finales - Lost, Ashes to Ashes, Fringe, Flash Forward

#2 Post by AYBG » Tue May 25, 2010 2:13 pm

You see one finale for a show revolving around non-character-driven events, and you've seen them all apparently.
I laughed out loud when I heard the big reveal Lost has been leading up to all this time, and apparently Ashes to Ashes had the same ending. Fans of the former have told me their belief that the Lost ending worked in context, but a cliché is a cliché.

However, I hear the 24 finale was a real tear-jerker.
Top 50 Poster!

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#3 Post by anakin » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

Can someone tell me the finale of Lost under cover of a spoiler please? I stopped watching when it went to Sky (didn't have Sky at the time) so am somewhat behind and doubt I'll bother catching up. Did they do a [spoiler]Sunset Beach / Dallas[/spoiler]?
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

#4 Post by AYBG » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm

[spoiler]They're all dead. So, pretty much, yeah.[/spoiler]
Top 50 Poster!

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#5 Post by steve9872 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:33 pm

[spoiler]The island is real life, the alternate timeline is a version of pergatory,and to kill Locke the island had to be turned off first.[/spoiler]
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#6 Post by anakin » Tue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Oh. Fun. Not so sorry to have missed it then...

Thank AYBG and Steve!
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

mellymel

#7 Post by mellymel » Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Ashes to Ashes the ending was better than what i thought it was going to be, not watched the last episode of Lost but the first one bugged me that much how it finished i never bothered watching the rest!!!

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#8 Post by destresserai » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm

I enjoyed the finale of Lost and was pleased to see that my theory at the end of Series 1 was proved right. Although it did end how I would have liked, I did feel that there were many questions left unanswered about some of the characters but this did not distract me from the ending itself.

Ashes to Ashes was a little more disappointing for me - I enjoyed Life on Mars far better. Gene Hunt carried the story throughout but throughout its whole run I have found Alex really grating. I just never warmed to her and at times I felt it was very un-80's!. I loved Shaz though.

[spoiler]I loved Jim being the devil and the doorman at the pub being a St Peter type character[/spoiler]

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#9 Post by anakin » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

What / which was your theory Destresserai?

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#10 Post by destresserai » Tue May 25, 2010 7:48 pm

For Lost - that they were all dead anyway and were in a form of pergatory waiting for acceptance into their eternal life. They needed to prove whether they deserved heaven or hell.

Must admit though that all the time travel, The Others and The other Others made me doubt myself at times.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein