Free Concerts thread/Free theatre thread?

Chat about anything
superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

Free Concerts thread/Free theatre thread?

#1 Post by superhero » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Having got the email from SFF about the free concerts, even they are saying they need to set up a database for people just interested in concerts, just in films etc.
Maybe we need a free concerts thread and free theatre thread.
I know some people who might be interested in free films might not want alerts for free classical concerts.
Just a suggestion.... ;)

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

Re: Free Concerts thread/Free theatre thread?

#2 Post by anakin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Something I was thinking too o/
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#3 Post by Beate » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm

I think if it has an SFF code, it is worth posting in the Free Films section so people can get an alert for it. If lots of people say they don't want that then we have to think again and put them somewhere else.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#4 Post by superhero » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 am

I was thinking even if we had a free concert thread people would get an alert as well, but the idea is just to separate the things because a night out watching the Hangover is quite different from going to a classical concert a King's Place (even though both can be just as fun....)

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#5 Post by superhero » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Those classical concerts are comparatively unpopular, aren't they.....

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#6 Post by Beate » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:00 pm

I think ticket sales are slow everywhere at the moment, that's why they are offering spares for free. In Greenwich they had to cancel the entire Pub in the Park Festival last weekend due to slow ticket sales. Anyway, MariaLionza and I are going so we will let you know how it was.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#7 Post by superhero » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah, I went to see Final Destination the other week in the evening at Vue West End, there were only 15people inside I think. I can imagine it's even tougher for classical concerts,as mostly they charge alot more.

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#8 Post by bevvy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Beate wrote:I think ticket sales are slow everywhere at the moment, that's why they are offering spares for free. In Greenwich they had to cancel the entire Pub in the Park Festival last weekend due to slow ticket sales. Anyway, MariaLionza and I are going so we will let you know how it was.
If you are talking about the classical concert at the Tower Festival, I was there on Tuesday for the Yeomen of The Guard - Yes, the night that it bucketed with rain almost non stop! I was lucky enough to have a tour of the crown jewels and refresments in the VIP lounge or else I would have been very fed up indeed.

If it looks like rain, don't go b*ying one of their rain capes as they give them out free if it actually rains. Look out for people giving out blue 'passports' near the Continental Airlines tent - they contain a voucher to claim a free ice cream.

Despite there being a full house there was hardly any queue for the toilets and they were the poshest portable toilets that I have ever seen - wooden flooring, a picture hanging in each cubicle and Moulton Brown handwash and hand cream - I had been expecting some awful portaloos like you get at Reading etc.

Beate

#9 Post by Beate » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Well, that's good to know! I have been told to bring a blanket as it's an outdoor event and I was trying to figure out how cold it might be but I will just go and see. What's the food like there, apparently they have a BBQ on and you can b*y picnic baskets, but they are awfully expensive.

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#10 Post by bevvy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 pm

I don't know about the food as I had the stuff provided for us in the VIP lounge. Lots of people seemed to have brought their own food in with them, thermos flasks etc and were eating it during the performance.
I was wishing that I had brought a hip flask - a drop of brandy would have helped to keep me warm inside when I was like a drowned rat.