Eating In The Cinema

Chat about anything
Ms Thrifty

Eating In The Cinema

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:02 am

Inspired, once again, by Andrews (thank you, Andrews!), who yesterday unwittingly prompted a discussion about chcolate-coated popcorn, I am driven to ask: am I the only one who doesn't do this? I admit that if I am going to an early performance which coincides with lunchtime, or to an early evening preview, I take a cheese roll and surreptitiously nibble that, but I don't consume anything noisy/messy/smelly and certainly nothing sold in cinemas - hence my caution about eating my own food, as you're not supposed to, despite the fact that it is far less likely to annoy others and is healthier than anything on sale. I am absolutely not against fun food (my term for junk), as shown by my Maltesers habit; I just don't eat that sort of thing in the cinema. My friend who sometimes attends previews with me does like to eat in the cinema and complains that she feels constrained not to because I don't!

Come on then, apart from chocolate-coated popcorn, what's your must-have?

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Re: Eating In The Cinema

#2 Post by a_person » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 am

Sweets!!! Especially candy king sweets!!! And those long strawberry laces!!! Yummmmmyyyy!! It's delicious!!!!! And the strawberry pieces, jelly babies, beans!!!! All of it!!!!

Definitely maltesers, minstrels or anything like that!!! Sometimes some crisps.... Definitely a big cup of coke or fanta!

I'm not really into nachos or hot dogs. They always put me off and I really dislike it when my friends eat them next to me!! Their crunching barrs some of my listening!! :p It also makes the place quite smelly.

Anything sweet and unhealthy always does well for me when watching TV!!!
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 404
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Braehead, Odeon Quay, Cineworld Glasgow.

#3 Post by moggers » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:16 am

As long as I have a drink I'm fine but DD and Mr Moggers have to get popcorn.
We once had two women eat salad bowls beside us at a preview... Nutters :p

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#4 Post by andrews » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 am

I tend not to b*y any food in the cinema at all, and really only take something with me if I am likely to miss a meal. I often drive straight from work to the free screenings at 6.30pm, and am reluctant to drive and eat at the same time, so usually eat a sandwich before the film begins.
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

BettyBoop

#5 Post by BettyBoop » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:17 am

Am also in the same situation as Andrews and often go to the 6.30pm screenings straight from work, If we are at boldon I tend to dash in and grab some peanuts or a bar of chocolate in Asda next door if I am missing a meal. But, if we have had time to eat before we go then a drink is a must for me. Also, I try to eat everything before the film starts because my pet hate is noisy eaters and BAG RUSTLERS!!! I also hate missing the film by going to the toilet....so a toilet trip just before the film starts is a must for me, even if it is just Psychological!

Oh and Andrew did kindly bring me chocolate covered popcorn to one screening to let me taste them....and they were delicious!! yummy yummy

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#6 Post by destresserai » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 am

Well I fine with just a drink but my daughter is adamant that she cannot enjoy a film without toffee popcorn (b*ght from Sainsburys and not the cinema). My Mum insists on a small tub of Ben & Jerrys (from the cinema).

I think I have already said on the site how amazed I was when a couple in front of me sat an ate a KFC bucket of chicken!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

rainey_y2k

#7 Post by rainey_y2k » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:49 am

destresserai wrote:Well I fine with just a drink but my daughter is adamant that she cannot enjoy a film without toffee popcorn (b*ght from Sainsburys and not the cinema). My Mum insists on a small tub of Ben & Jerrys (from the cinema).

I think I have already said on the site how amazed I was when a couple in front of me sat an ate a KFC bucket of chicken!

hahahah! great stuff! this made my dull morning at work a little more amusing reading this post!

how can people eat a bucket of chicken in the cinema?!

haha

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#8 Post by anakin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 am

destresserai wrote:I think I have already said on the site how amazed I was when a couple in front of me sat an ate a KFC bucket of chicken!
:popcorn:
Ewww! That must have stunk... and how did they washtheir hands after - bet they wiped them down on their clothes.
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#9 Post by destresserai » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 am

I think the worse thing was that they didn't turn round and offer me a piece - I was absolutely dribbling from the smell. They must have heard my stomach grumbling in the front seats!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

Ms Thrifty

#10 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 am

anakin wrote:
destresserai wrote:I think I have already said on the site how amazed I was when a couple in front of me sat an ate a KFC bucket of chicken!
:popcorn:
Ewww! That must have stunk... and how did they washtheir hands after - bet they wiped them down on their clothes.
On the seats, don't you mean?!