Chat about anything
anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

Re: Weight Watchers

#3041 Post by anakin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 pm

OMG! Diane! Making chappatis?!?! Even I don't do that. Well done for giving it a go and I can't wait to hear how you get on. I have expert tuition (mum!) when I do it and they're still not perfect, so don't expect them to be perfect first time. Shape is something that comes with practice, as is thinness... Watching my mum make them vs me making them... well you can tell who can make them blindfolded! Am super impressed that you're making them though. If you fancy learning anything else, my mum teaches Indian Cookery, so you can give her a call. Chappatis do not usually make it into the early lessons ;)

Hope you enjoy the soup (and you MsT, and anyone else who tries it!). I like it because it's a good plend between East and West. I would think you could use yoghurt or creme fraiche is you don't fancy the double cream...?

Also just want to say well done to everyone for doing so well. I think we could build a spare FMUKer with all the weight being lost! So good to see people improving their lifestyles (not just losing weight)!

And, Preston, you're so brave picking on Diane and MsT. They're both rather fierce...
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#3042 Post by Diane65 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm

anakin wrote:And, Preston, you're so brave picking on Diane and MsT. They're both rather fierce...
Exactly now he will be really scared. :blink:

Just had my chapatis with my soup, the soup was delicious and the chapatis were quite nice and didn't take long to make literally a few minutes. I used 3 parts chapati flour to 1 part water with a pinch of salt and just mixed it by hand in a tupperware container and then just pulled off pieces about the size of half an egg kneaded it then rolled it out like when you're making a pizza base and then dry fried it for about 45 seconds on either side and had it with my soup. My second one was better than the first, I think that I should have let the mixture rest for about 20 minutes before I started rolling and rolled it out thinner like the thinness of a crepe rather than a pastry (mince pie thinness) and I think with practice like making bread you just get used to the correct consistency. I still have chapati mixed remaining in my tupperware container so that will be good for a couple of days. I asked a patient how to make them and she was delighted to tell me, it was her idea re mixing it in a container then its easily stored. I know that you can make them with ghee but the lady suggested it was healthier without. Anakin the soup is lovely just as it is without the cream but as you say the yoghurt or creme fraiche would enhance it.

Have fun at the fringe festival Biggins.

Thanks MrG re the nutrition information and I should write down all the veg I have rather than just saying salad sandwich.
I will have to plan my next goals when I get to my target weight I think that will be more difficult as I'm so used to this regime now but there comes to a stage that if you lose too much weight you can start to look ill rather than healthy - one of the GP's at work has suggested that I should stop losing weight now, he's a lovely man and a friend so said it out of kindness (but it did make me take on board what he's saying) when I said that I just had 4lbs to go he was happy.

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#3043 Post by anakin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm

That's really good Diane! You know it's worked when a GP tells you to stop! Well done on being so focussed and getting there, but glad you're thinking about how to maintain it now, rather than keep going. Do you feel different?

Mega impressed with the chappatis you made! They are definitely simple to make once you get the hang of it, and absolutely healthier without ghee - don't think anyone in my family uses it anymore. I like them really thin, but then that's what I'm used to. We make a much heavier thicker bread type thing we call rotlo (we call chappatis rotli). If your patient is Gujarati, she can tell you about them, but I'm not that keen on them. Chappatis vary so much according to region in thickness and even taste. We even curry chappatis!

Anyway, more chappati facts in my little head if you want them... :shifty:
Last edited by anakin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.

#3044 Post by Diane65 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks anakin and I would love to hear any more tips that you have.

Menu of the day:
Porridge and a black coffee (300 calories)
6 Jacobs savours, pate and cucumber (I forgot to take my crackers to work yesterday hence yesterdays lunch today) 2 apricots and a kiwi (300 calories)
Chicken korma http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/531 ... cken-korma as I still have ginger, garlic and fresh coriander with 2 chapatis and melon (280 calories)
Today's menu is distinctly lacking in vegetables so I need to think of something with 3 portions of vegetables to have as a side dish with my curry for less than 300 calories - I want something light to balance out the korma and chapatis.
Edit: small portion of tandoori chicken made with greek yoghurt and a large salad with raita once again made with the greek yogurt cucumber and mint. I will be having this as a starter mainly to boost my veg for the day.
Exercise of the day:
A 4 mile walk plus one coat of emulsion on the ceiling - as I'm now working late (until 6.15pm) I can't make the cinema so will have to watch Bourne Legacy on Sunday morning.

What are everyone else's plans for the day? Good luck whatever you are doing o/

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#3045 Post by anakin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 am

Careful what you wish for - I have many tips to drive you crazy. I would say, though, that if you have left over ginger, you can freeze it. When you want to use it, just grate it from frozen. You could freeze the ginger too, but probably best to prepare that first then freeeze it, as well as the coriander - will be limp when it cooks as you might imagine, but the flavour is still there. Also handy when the 'Indian urge' strikes you!

Menu sounds lovely! Looking forward to hearing the rest.

Preston1990
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference - Metrocentre Gateshead, Silverlink, Newcastle, Tyneside Cinema, Boldon.
I have tickets for: What to Expect When You are Expecting.

#3046 Post by Preston1990 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:57 am

Wow - Talk about being "driven"!

How does Diane manage to fit so much into her days? - She’s always on the go, I get tired out just reading about her exploits! It really is so impressive! She's a hard worker and no mistake!! o/

And….I'd just like to echo all of the "Well Done!" messages for her incredible weight-loss achievement and journey to improved fitness as she arrives at the enviable point where she just needs to consider maintaining it. What an incredible three to four months it has been! Well done, Diane - you are a real star and your daily progress and menu posts have been truly inspirational! Thanks for sharing them with us.

I’m impressed with the recent flurry of Indian culinary endeavour on the thread. Anakin, I'm mentally taking notes of all of your fab tips. Thanks for sharing them. o/

I don’t suppose anybody has a really good recipe for onion bhajis, do they? (Anakin, perhaps ;) ?). I love them and I’ve tried making them myself in the past using recipes from various books but they’ve never turned out anywhere near as good as those that you get from Indian restaurants or takeaways. I’d love to know what “secret” ingredients go into the batter mix or what sort of oil “real” ones get cooked in.

MrG – Many thanks for posting details about the charity donations Samsung make. That sounds like a really good deal for the charity and I’d love to take part. Unfortunately, my mobile is just a very basic one. It makes phone calls and that’s about it – I even struggle to use it for texts. Some of my biking pals have smartphones, with all that whizzy satnav and gp stuff on though, so I’ll be sure to pass the info on to them. Rest assured if I ever get myself a suitable phone – I’ll set it up so that my biking miles start earning money for the charity. What a brill idea!!

My bike ride yesterday was only 17 miles, as we had limited time – which was kind of disappointing. However, it stayed dry whilst we were out - thanks for your concern Biggins o/ - then the heavens opened about half an hour after we had finished. Three of us are looking to do in excess of 50 miles tomorrow. That should be achieveable if I can persuade them not to stop at every cafe that we encounter on the way ;). We are scratching our heads to see if we can agree a suitable route, that mostly keeps us away from heavy or fast moving traffic.

Today’s Meals:

It’s not often that you reach my age and come across a variety of some common fruit which you’ve never seen, or even heard of, before. Ladies and Gentlemen – can I introduce you to the YELLOW raspberry (Driscoll’s Estrella). Well maybe you are all aware of it and I’ve just led a sheltered life, but it was a new one on me,

1) Two Weetabix, semi skimmed milk, handful of blueberries, strawberries and Yellow raspberries.

2) Chicken Salad: Grilled chicken breast with balsamic glaze. Assorted leaves, tomatoes, pasta, red/green/yellow peppers, green and black olives, sweetcorn, celery, red onion.

3) Pad Thai: Chicken breast, rice noodles, vegetables and egg in a lightly spiced peanut sauce.

4) Earl Grey Tea, with lemon. Toast with Marmite.

Have Fun - be good everyone! :D

It's weigh-day for both Diane and I tomorrow! Best of luck, Slim! ;) o/ :cross:

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2

#3047 Post by Diane65 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Thank you so so much Preston for all your kind words, I do enjoy my DIY/ decorating so its like a hobby not a chore plus I like trying new dishes as I love my food. I must admit that since I have lost weight I have got so much energy, I had enough before. You too are one driven young man - I love the JUST 17 miles bike ride :roll: that is amazing! o/

I am speaking from the heart when I say I couldn't have done it without all your support from the first week when I only lost 1lb and I was disappointed but as it was pointed out I am a woman hence my weight will fluctuate and have all encouraged me so much for the last 4 months, so a huge thank you to you all. You are all truly inspiring and have certainly helped me on my way.o/

Big thank you to Yogi who took my picture in the first place with my big fat smiling face that was a huge wake up call and hence started this journey. 8O o/ (he had taken a group photo not just one of me to show my fat face :giggle: )

I have taken on board what MrG said about different coloured and types of veg so I have b*ght some carrots, sweetcorn and broccoli so I will be looking through Biggin's recipes for ideas with traditional cooking. Please may I have the recipe for Pad Thai, plus looking forward to the bhaji recipe too and I will try the yellow raspberries.

Anakin thanks for the coriander and ginger tips I didn't know that you could freeze them so I can stop my mission to find how many things you can make and do with ginger and coriander. I had a dessert once made with ginger but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was - I know it was light like an ice cream or a yoghurt and made with fresh ginger not crystallised. If anyone knows of it please post the recipe.

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#3048 Post by valda » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 pm

I finally managed to get to the gym yesterday. Started off by falling off the treadmill - when it wasn't even switched on :red: I did a 15 min Swiss Ball class and a 45 min combat class o/
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#3049 Post by anakin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Aw, all these speeches are making me well up! Happy days!

Will ask mum for a recipe, but to answer your question Preston, I'm pretty sure we use veg or sunflower oil to fry stuff. (I use the term we loosely.) The batter is made of chickpea (gram) flour. The versions we make would be a batter made of the flour, water, chilli powder, salt... not sure, there might be spices. Shame on me for not knowing! And mum puts in coriander I think. We don't make the huge ones that you get in restaurants, but no reason you couldn't do that. You'd need a deep fat fryer or a big pan of oil, though I suppose you could shallow fry in a couple of cm's of oil....

I presume these would be treat day bitings... :shifty:

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#3050 Post by anakin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Ooh, I used to love Swiss Ball classes, Valda! Ignore the treadmill... ;)