Allsinging
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 1076
Preferred Cinemas: York and Castleford
I haven't got tickets for: anything

Re: Weight Watchers

#31 Post by Allsinging » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:03 pm

andrews wrote:Spurred on by my friend BettyBoop, and fellow FMUKers out there, the diet started in earnest yesterday. I have kept making excuses - too busy, too tired, too weak...but it's no good at all. I find that I am stronger at home, but willpower evaporates at work, where I am always on the go, and there are always cakes, biscuits, chocolates around. It's always someone's birthday.
However, those WW recipe books are on the living room floor. I've browsed through them, and planned this week's meals. I've been to Tesco - their profits are going to take a fall this week.
So, I'm ready.
Now the next thing is exercise. When am I going to fit this into my busy lifestyle? Nordic Walking is just not viable - might have to b*y an exercise bike. Or get those aerobics DVDs out and dust them. Or the Wi-Fit, if I can work out how to use the thing. (Oh no, :cry: no excuses for not exercising.)
I got a cross trainer for my birthday.. Its brilliant.. and compact too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Confidence-Fitn ... =8-1-spell the only issue is it leaves black marks on the flooring if you drag it.

I don't really use the cycle part but I’ve turned the handle bars around the wrong way, a great tip from a fitness instructor, more room and I use two weights instead of holding the handle bars. That way your stomach muscles clench to protect you from falling so you give that a good work out too! Also by using the weights you tone your arms, shoulders and back too.

I get up earlier to a quiet house and try to do half an hour every morning :p
Good news everyone I've invented a device that makes you read this in your head in my voice!

Thank you FMUK for inspiring our community cinema http://www.Selbyglobe.co.uk

Member 4 of the 100 free films in 2011 club

omgholly
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Hatfield, Stevenage, Watford

#32 Post by omgholly » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the site.

I've done WW a few times and personally it doesn't work for me as it gives me a little too much freedom and I would spend all my "points" on 2 bags of crisps, a chocolate bar and a can of coke or something stupid.

I have recently been doing the Cambridge Diet http://www.cambridge-diet.com/ which is very good if, like me, you need something a little stricter. Boy is this strict! But it works if you are in the right headspace and becomes fairly easy after the first week.

I've fallen off the wagon this week but I've had a job interview and my mum is in hospital so stress and dieting don't mix well for me. I'm going to try and start up again tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some good news about mum later today. I might look into the change for life as my relationship with food isn't great - I'd imagine a lot of you are similar and comfort eat.

I lost 3 stone on CD early this year, then met my boyfriend and have reverted back to my original weight after take aways and nights out. No point dwelling on it though!

The best advise I can give, with any diet, is don't beat yourself up if you slip up or cheat. Just start the next day a fresh and try not to think about it. Sure it may have stopped you losing an extra lb that week but it's not the end of the world.

Lots of water is good too. The more you drink, the more you shrink ;) Good luck folks!! xx

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#33 Post by biggins » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi everyone
Like you all I have been there done that several times in my life.
Billy Connolly said the recipe for weight loss was easy - eat less exercise more!! Fine - but it is finding the motivation.
I joined a gym and found I didn't like the Image but I did enjoy the swimming and the areobic classes. I hurt my knee so have not been to the classes now for some time but still go swimming. The last time I lost weight I did it myself so there was no one to tell me off if I had not lost any weight that week. So I am going to do it again slowly by cutting down on the fatty content of my day's meals. Instead of hot buttered toast in the morning I'll have marmalade as you can burn off sweet things easier than fatty things. Or a plate of porridge which keeps you feeling fuller for longer and is low in calories (we Scots make it with salt not sugar). Back to grilling not frying and fruit instead of a packet of crisps when watching TV.
I also tried this last time and it helped - Take a long piece of string (very long in my case) and without cothes on use it like a measuring tape round your waist. Mark with ink where the end of the string touches. Each week as you lose even a few pounds wrap the same bit of string round and mark the spot again and you will be encouraged as you see the difference in the marks. Better than an inch tape as it shows even a small difference. If you keep doing this until you reach your target weight you will be delighted to see the difference in the markings. Keep this string and now and again try it and see if you are still the same or are starting to gain weight round your waist again - if so cut back on your calories again until you are happy.

I know all the things to do its just doing them and not talking about them that helps lose weight!!!

Don't want to frighten you but it is only 12 weeks to Xmas 8O but we could lose a stone by then. No more popcorn at the Movies - maybe raw carrots instead then we would all recognise who is a Fmuker. Fancy having a flat stomach like Bugs Bunny but not so keen on having the teeth and the long ears. :rolleyes:
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

AnneJ

#34 Post by AnneJ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 am

I have quite a lot of weight to lose aswell :oops: I joined Weight watchers 2 weeks ago, so far I've lost 4lbs and I'm going to the meeting tonight to get weighed. I b*ght the monthly pass as I think this will force me to go. So far I've found it relatively easy, the leader is really nice and gave us loads of tips to help us. She gave me a target to lose a stone by Christmas, the thing I'm struggling with so far is going out with friends and not drinking!! Its no fun when everyone else is getting drunk!! :tears:

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#35 Post by anakin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

Just read this entire thread and think I'm going to stop whinging and stop eating the rubbish that I have been for the last two months. I can be quite restrained but we had arranged to meet so many friends post wedding that I just went crazy eating out lots (and lots) and not eating my mum's healthy home cooked food has definitely not helped - hubby and I will quite happily eat pizza if we're too lazy to cook. That all ends today. My main problem is fitness, rather than weight loss, and toning up a bit, but I think you guys are fabulous for taking the steps to make a change. I will be here cheering you on!

Am also thinking in investing in a cross trainer (thanks for the link Allsinging - it's so cheap, considering!) given that I know I won't go to a gym and hate exercise in general - I can do this in front of the telly. Will run this past hubby tonight - have no doubt he'll be encouraging! Plus we can both use it. I quite like Pilates but can't find a local class that is not crazy expensive...

Anyway, best of luck to all the fmuk-ers... although with the encouragement you are getting / will get here, you won't need it! x

PS AnneJ, I'm not a drinker and believe me you get used to your friends all being a bit tipsy... it's not as bad as it seems at the moment ;) I quite like reminding people the funny things they said / did - it's had the positive effect of some of my friends drinking less...
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

BettyBoop

#36 Post by BettyBoop » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm

AnneJ wrote:I have quite a lot of weight to lose aswell :oops: I joined Weight watchers 2 weeks ago, so far I've lost 4lbs and I'm going to the meeting tonight to get weighed. I b*ght the monthly pass as I think this will force me to go. So far I've found it relatively easy, the leader is really nice and gave us loads of tips to help us. She gave me a target to lose a stone by Christmas, the thing I'm struggling with so far is going out with friends and not drinking!! Its no fun when everyone else is getting drunk!! :tears:
Congratulations on losing 4lbs that means you only have 10 to lose before christmas....you can do it keep up the good work! x

Missuz Cee

#37 Post by Missuz Cee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Going to try and eat as healthy as i can today.....3 days till my first class....I feel really positive especially with all the support we have on here xx

I am so pleased I found you FMUKers! What lovely people xx

Missuz Cee

#38 Post by Missuz Cee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:20 pm

andrews wrote:However, those WW recipe books are on the living room floor. I've browsed through them, and planned this week's meals. I've been to Tesco - their profits are going to take a fall this week.
This is the kind of planning that makes you succeed! I'd love to see your menu x

AnneJ

#39 Post by AnneJ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Beate wrote:Read this, it's truly inspirational: http://www.dietgirl.org/
She managed to loose half her body weight (12.5 stone), it took her years but was probably healthier that way. She started with weight watchers but soon discovered you can do it on exercise and healthy food. Then she moved to Scotland, found love and made the blog into a book. She still blogs, has all her old entries dating back to 2001 in Archive, before and after pics, weight loss tips, recipes... give it a browse!
This blog was made into a book - The Adventures of Dietgirl, I've read it, its definitely worth reading, its really motivated me. Shes very honest about how hard she struggled to lose the weight, but how she lost it all in the end.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#40 Post by andrews » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 pm

It's gone well today - 3 boxes of chocolate biscuits at work, and I didn't have any of them. It was hard, and people admired my willpower. I've had a healthy version of chilli con carne tonight and that's it. Nothing else except water until tomorrow morning.
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage