Chat about anything
pcRock
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Croydon

Re: I won....

#171 Post by pcRock » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 pm

bevvy wrote:I just won a DVD by entering the online code from the bag of minstrels that I ate at the cinema last night!
You are supposed to have a 1 in 10 chance of winning so i was quite lucky winning the first time I tried .
Will have to resist the temptation to now go out and b*y a lot more Mars chocolate in an attempt to repeat my success.
Congratulations! I'm in favour of trying to repeat your success (any excuse is good to eat more chocolates!) :D

Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 8 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 18 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 30 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 24 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 43 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2010" club. 54 seen

tufty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 85
Preferred Cinemas: LONDON: ISLINGTON, N FINCHLEY, WEST END, COVENT GARDEN, PANTON ST, PICCADILLY,GREENWICH O2

#172 Post by tufty » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:56 pm

bevvy wrote:I just won a DVD by entering the online code from the bag of minstrels that I ate at the cinema last night!
You are supposed to have a 1 in 10 chance of winning so i was quite lucky winning the first time I tried .
Will have to resist the temptation to now go out and b*y a lot more Mars chocolate in an attempt to repeat my success.
Well done bevvy you seem to be on a winning streak, it's good to hear people's wins! o/
Member No. 42 of the "100 free films in 2011" 16 seen 84 to go.

Member No. 42 of the "100 free films in 2010" club. 51 seen.

Ms Thrifty

#173 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:32 pm

I e-mailed Mars to ask for the stats to support the "1 in 10 wins" claim, as that's not my experience. They didn't answer my question, though - just told me to keep trying. I do know it's not meant to be taken literally, but they ought to be able to provide some figures to justify their statement. All I can say is, other people must have won several of "my" DVDs by now!

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#174 Post by bevvy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote: All I can say is, other people must have won several of "my" DVDs by now!
That must represent quite a lot of chocolate .... yummmmm. I hope you will be carring on until you win. I now have no excuse. :roll:

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#175 Post by a_person » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:I e-mailed Mars to ask for the stats to support the "1 in 10 wins" claim, as that's not my experience. They didn't answer my question, though - just told me to keep trying. I do know it's not meant to be taken literally, but they ought to be able to provide some figures to justify their statement. All I can say is, other people must have won several of "my" DVDs by now!
I was wondeirng what that was too! I've gone through approximately fifty (I know it's alot, I'm always eating that's why!) of those bags - not one win on the DVDs yet though so surely that statement is incorrect unless I picked up fifty very bad bags! You're right though, they should be able to justify their statement with statistics.

Well done Bevvy (once again!) on your win. Which DVD did you choose?
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#176 Post by bevvy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 pm

a_person wrote:
I was wondeirng what that was too! I've gone through approximately fifty (I know it's alot, I'm always eating that's why!) of those bags - not one win on the DVDs yet though so surely that statement is incorrect unless I picked up fifty very bad bags! You're right though, they should be able to justify their statement with statistics.

Well done Bevvy (once again!) on your win. Which DVD did you choose?
I think whether you win or not might not be anything to do with the code on the bag, but more to do with how many people have won that hour - I know other draws work that way.

I chose Ocean's 13 by the way. I don't know if it is meant to be any good but with Mr Clooney in it, who cares! My second choice (if first not available) was I am Legend as my daughter likes anything featuring Will Smith.

Ms Thrifty

#177 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:27 pm

I have nearly always entered my code during the small hours, i.e. when I've just got up, so unless people from other time zones are also trying, I doubt that anyone else will have tried in the same hour, or very few.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#178 Post by a_person » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:I have nearly always entered my code during the small hours, i.e. when I've just got up, so unless people from other time zones are also trying, I doubt that anyone else will have tried in the same hour, or very few.
Especially the hours you're awake!!! I'm definitely fast asleep then! I normally end up doing it in the evening. If bevvy's theory is correct, everything is probably gone by then!

Bevvy - good choice, I would have done it the other day (if I ever won!).

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)

Ms Thrifty

#179 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Maybe it's a punishment for wanting to win "Music and Lyrics"? But there isn't much choice and it seems unlikely to be an issue for me, anyway, with my luck so far!

Actually, a horrible thought strikes me: you always have to start by entering your age (why? I don't exactly need reminding), so maybe they filter out the oldies and the actual code is a red herring.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#180 Post by a_person » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Yeh I was wondering why they need our DOB too - I was thinking it was the other way around, they filter out out the young ones and send to the older generation instead (to encourage them to watch stuff)!

I would have preferred two cinema tickets as a win to be honest! That promotion of collecting 8 heads will probably come again next Jan-April. I wonder if the prices will be as cheap as now though! :rolleyes:

Preferred cinema list: