FMUK Comic Book Fans!

Chat about anything
sheryzak

Re: FMUK Comic Book Fans!

#41 Post by sheryzak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Agreed. Apart from Chris Nolan's Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I've never been too impressed with the live action films. The animated features I really enjoy actually, but they're not as fun to watch after reading the comics, I guess because as TheyCallMeMrGlass said they can't bring as much to the story as the comics for obvious reasons. I did really enjoy watching Under the Red Hood though sometime back. Maybe it's because I haven't yet read the comic-book storyline that it was based on, but I thought it was brilliant.

the-mental-one

#42 Post by the-mental-one » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Dark Knight Returns is probably my favourite Batman arc so I'll be interested in seeing what they do with it, as with many things the animated movies are so often superior to the live action :P

There's a Garth Ennis graphic novel that's funny and a one shot that I believe people should read as it pretty much takes the michael out of the superhero comics, it's called 'The Pro' http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/e/garth-ennis/pro.htm just not something to read if you're easily offended.

the-mental-one

#43 Post by the-mental-one » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Sorry for the double post but for those comic book fans in or around london 30th April / 1st May there is a free event from Sci-Fi London hosted by the BFI. For more details see the website

http://www.sci-fi-london.com/festival/2 ... -fi-london

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#44 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 pm

I dont know where the hell to post this but I certainly dont want to create a new thread for it.

Its a new BATMAN trailer! But the stage version, lol. Its not a musical. This looks really interesting, so I am going to b*y tickets for it. Yes, I know I am a sucker for good marketing but so what, the world revolves around it...cue the moans and groans of blasphemy...at least you cant get more blasphemous than Joel Schumaker, surely?

Its a world tour, and shows are going to be in several parts of UK including the O2. The story will be about Dick Grayson becoming Robin. Prices are only between £20-45 per ticket which is very reasonable imo (its ok, I dont think Beate would come in this thread so I dont think she will hear me say that...dont grass on me now!)

Official website: http://www.batmanlive.com/home.php

I hope they actually do move and not stay still on the stage, though.... :blink:
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#45 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Tue May 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Just b*ght my tickets for a Saturday 11am show on 3rd September. Tickets have been selling since November, there werent many highest price "Gotham City" tickets left for any show which are £45+£4.50 booking fee. So if any of you are not vomitting and are actually interested, book your tickets soon ;)
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#46 Post by funthing29 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I would like to see this but the tickets are just too pricey.

There is actually a sky deal for this where you can get a backstage pass and a sky goodie bag.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#47 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm

I received my Batman Year One Blu Ray yesterday (imported from states). Watched it. Superb. Very closely adapted from the comic book...in fact quite literally. I was anxious to know how Batman will sound in this one (I get anxious every time Kevin Conroy isnt doing it!) but I was pleasantly surprised. In fact for this interpreation of Batman, Kevin Conray would have been distractive. Instead we have a raw vengeful rasping Batman (in fact, very Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry tone which is refreshing)...fits perfectly.

The dialogue is superb and animation in the style of a Japanese Anime. This is very much a Watchmen/Sin City style narration where the characters narrate their thoughts, like a classic Philip Marlowe noir film. There is minimal soundtrack, its very quiet but very powerful. This is a gritty, very gritty take on Batman as you would expect from an adaption of a Frank Miller graphic novel.

Gordon is just luietenant here but boy does he kick ass in this film. This is very much his film as well as Batman's (probably more so than Batman/Bruce Wayne's). He is super cool here. You really feel for Gordon's and Bruce/Batmans' plights here as they both attempt and struggle to setting their own paths in bringing justice to this overwhelming sin city. They are both very vulnerable, making mistakes and false steps. The movie holds nothing back from the graphic novel including visiting the prostitution district, even the insinuation of under age prostitution. Although there is actually no adult content, there is hardcore violence and is sexually suggestive.

There is dark humour in this film, through the self dry wit in Gordon's and Batman's narrative thoughts. But Selina/Catwomen also appears too in a more comic relief set up. She actually served no purpose to the main storyline but it was cool to have her in the film nevertheless.

I love this film. I love all of the DC animated features (I think this is their 23rd feature since Batman Mask of the Phantasm, if I counted right). Even the weaker movies are far superior to most hollywood adaptions but this might well be their finest work to date BUT it wont be their most successful because this is one for the hardcore fans methinks. This is defintely a niche movie but odds are, if you are in this thread, YOU will love it.

On the Blu ray, there are several excellent extras including a DC showcase a new 15min short of Catwoman that ties in with the main feature. Very cool. It even included 2 catwoman episodes from the classic Batman: The animated Series but I have all those box sets already.

DC animation have 3 films in the pipeline:

Justice League: Doom
Superman Versus The Elite
The Dark Knight Returns (YES!)

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#48 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:39 pm

The Death and Return of Superman. Hilarious rant with a number special guest stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSY ... r_embedded

Nazerino
Air Force One
Air Force One

#49 Post by Nazerino » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Does anyone know when Justice League tickets are coming out? thanks

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#50 Post by raj101 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 pm

am both dreading and anticpating the standalone batman movie if its based on arkham asylum the graphic novel. That was some freakish work of art.

But it would need the right director for sure, and thats why I dread what it might turn out as.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?