Odeon Screen Unseen

Chat about anything
fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Re: Odeon Screen Unseen

#31 Post by fraz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

kevinknapman wrote:
It does matter. Odeon would need to get permission from every local authority for each cinema in order to show an uncertificated film (festivals have to do the same thing).
This seems like a lot of hassle to go through for a film screening.
Yeah, that does seem a lot of hassle... looks like another curveball then, the last time the internet couldn't call it, it was Hidden Figures.
D-Fens wrote:The Big Sick makes perfect sense screening wise but the clues don't fit so well.

The clues fit American Made perfectly but the screening doesn't make sense.

So I'm guessing it's Dunkirk as it sits somewhere between the two.

Answers at a stretch 1) Odds of air crash 2) Nautical distance 4) Harry bag Styles 3) Don't know, a different actor? Styles fits again with Neo being The One/Direction
I agree the Big Sick makes sense, especially as that's also the next Cineworld Unlimited screening but the clues aren't doing it. Would they really show something as big as Dunkirk?? Kudos to whoever writes the clues 8-)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#32 Post by elski » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

They did show The Revenant as a screen unseen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#33 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 am

Turned out to be The Big Sick after all. I think all the clues were red herrings tbh.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#34 Post by D-Fens » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 pm

At what point does the concept become a bit of a scam? If it didn't exist this would be a free Odeon preview as Cineworld and Picturehouse have kind of done? And if the clues point more towards a different movie you're getting people through the door under false pretence?

Particularly when they're really straining with the anwers this time -

0.6 in a million

Emily is played by Zoe Kazan, who's middle name is Swicord, which according to the 2000 census in the US, was a last name found in around 0.6 people per 1 million of the population.

From 39 to 86

Kumail's first film's Metascore is 39, whereas The Big Sick is 86 (currently)

Neo in another life

Kumail played a character called Keanu in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

Bag of the Girls

Kumail's name when translated into Urdu and back to English is 'Camille' who is a French songer/actress who's first album was called 'Le Sac des Filles' which translates as The Bag of the Girls.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#35 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

D-Fens wrote:At what point does the concept become a bit of a scam? If it didn't exist this would be a free Odeon preview as Cineworld and Picturehouse have kind of done? And if the clues point more towards a different movie you're getting people through the door under false pretence?

Particularly when they're really straining with the anwers this time -

0.6 in a million

Emily is played by Zoe Kazan, who's middle name is Swicord, which according to the 2000 census in the US, was a last name found in around 0.6 people per 1 million of the population.

From 39 to 86

Kumail's first film's Metascore is 39, whereas The Big Sick is 86 (currently)

Neo in another life

Kumail played a character called Keanu in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

Bag of the Girls

Kumail's name when translated into Urdu and back to English is 'Camille' who is a French songer/actress who's first album was called 'Le Sac des Filles' which translates as The Bag of the Girls.
How is it a scam?
It's an unknown film with obscure clues. Bravo to whoever thought of them.

When do Cineworld and Picturehouse allow people into films for free? Both have membership schemes as do Odeon so all three allow members see previews for free. All three have previews in partnership with media partners. Other than that what free entry?
Free Films Seen 2016

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#36 Post by fraz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

It's quite an art to give clues which people are able to tie into a film with relative ease but for it then to turn out to be something completely different.

It would be a shame if Odeon made SU limitless members only. A fiver for non members is pretty good when you can usually tell what film it is, this being an exception. Its meant to be part of the fun though. I've seen some really good films at SU which I probably would have missed otherwise.. Manchester By The Sea, Hidden Figures, plus lots I would have pa*d full price to see too.. Midnight Special, Baby Driver, Split, Get Out etc..
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#37 Post by D-Fens » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 pm

I didn't say "this is a scam" because I don't know their intention but if the method is to purposely put out clues that fit other specific movies then why do it that harder way and draw people in rightfully thinking it could be something else.

It could be kept a mystery with no clues or less generic clue wording because nobody was reaching 3 of those answers.

Swicord is obscure, nobody is going back 2 censuses to research it's popularity but Googling "0.6 in a million" gives a page 2 hit of air crash odds, coincidence? Googling Swicord gets you nowhere, even if you somehow went down that route.

A Harry or Medellin bag gets mulitple page 1 Google hits. A massive case of group think? Or were we all supposed to be mistranslating a name using 2 languages to arrive at another generic name and remembering a French artist and album in a 3rd language.

4 of the last 5 Screen Unseen have also been free SFF previews.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#38 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 pm

D-Fens wrote:I didn't say "this is a scam" because I don't know their intention but if the method is to purposely put out clues that fit other specific movies then why do it that harder way and draw people in rightfully thinking it could be something else.

It could be kept a mystery with no clues or less generic clue wording because nobody was reaching 3 of those answers.

Swicord is obscure, nobody is going back 2 censuses to research it's popularity but Googling "0.6 in a million" gives a page 2 hit of air crash odds, coincidence? Googling Swicord gets you nowhere, even if you somehow went down that route.

A Harry or Medellin bag gets mulitple page 1 Google hits. A massive case of group think? Or were we all supposed to be mistranslating a name using 2 languages to arrive at another generic name and remembering a French artist and album in a 3rd language.

4 of the last 5 Screen Unseen have also been free SFF previews.
Why mention the word "scam" then Kenneth? Whoever set these clues is very clever, possibly a quizzer or a crossword compiler. No matter how obscure, all the clues are legitimate. I enjoyed being unsure for once as to not knowing which film . It's all part of the fun and gets people involved and garners a lot of interest which is no bad thing.
As for free previews, the first SU was a freebie the next day. It's not unusual. However, as we all know freebies are dwindling, not everyone who goes to SU knows about free previews and they show at far fewer cinemas whereas SU seems to show at the majority of Odeon sites. With such a reduced price, it draws crowds if people who probably wouldn't go to the cinema.

I honestly don't understand your problem. You had several options; stay and watch the film, walk when the BBFC card appeared or don't go because there's a chance it won't be the film you're expecting.

Bring on the next Screen Unseen I say!
Free Films Seen 2016

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#39 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:04 pm

fraz wrote:It's quite an art to give clues which people are able to tie into a film with relative ease but for it then to turn out to be something completely different.

It would be a shame if Odeon made SU limitless members only. A fiver for non members is pretty good when you can usually tell what film it is, this being an exception. Its meant to be part of the fun though. I've seen some really good films at SU which I probably would have missed otherwise.. Manchester By The Sea, Hidden Figures, plus lots I would have pa*d full price to see too.. Midnight Special, Baby Driver, Split, Get Out etc..
I totally agree Fraz. I doubt Odeon will make SU for members only. It's one of the best ideas they've had imo.

I love seeing the reaction when the BBFC card comes on. They're a lot of fun and are very popular.
Free Films Seen 2016

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#40 Post by steve9872 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 pm

If you walk in the first 10 minutes they give you a refund so you're not forced to sit and watch something you don't want to see.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)