D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: Lockdown

#31 Post by D-Fens » Wed May 06, 2020 1:06 am

stuartboy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 pm
Unless they also had 4 times as many free screenings?
Yep, all services are going to have lower capacity so they'll have to increase the frequency to meet demand.

When cinemas around the world have reopened they've shown older movies though because nothing is ready to go at short notice without a marketing campaign so I don't think that demand will be high.
stuartboy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm
sitting in a large room for 2+ hours when someone sneezes? Surely that cloud of potential germs can travel more than 2m with ease.
It's weird how we've stopped talking about the actual virus and in my experience started to ignore guidelines. It's like people think time has changed it's potency but you're right any situation with a carrier is still just as dangerous.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#32 Post by prettyxcool » Fri May 08, 2020 10:50 am

Sorry, a bit late. Only just found out. Today from 10am.

Hobbitathon by Andy Serkis

https://www.gofundme.com/f/TheHobbitathonCovid19Appeal

Shouldn't do this on VE Day though!
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#33 Post by stuartboy » Wed May 13, 2020 8:46 am

Historic Edinburgh cinema planning a Mid-July re-opening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-52622161
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#34 Post by stuartboy » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am

So, despite the lack of cinema, previews and film in general I still religiously check into this site several times a day. I guess I was hoping to find a place where, in these scary and uncertain times, it would be a place for us to chat and share and generally keep each other's spirits up when otherwise we might be feeling low, lonely, worried or even scared. Somewhere familiar where we could reassure one another. Somewhere we could expect to find hope. Somewhere we could cheer up others or be cheered ourselves. How wrong I was. Apart from Jayman's RIPs and a couple of theatre broadcasts it's dead on here. Dead as the proverbial parrot. I guess everyone is too busy sitting on their couches, looking out of their windows, Zooming one another, colouring in or joining the dots. This could and should have been a source of support and reassurance for many. Instead it's not. I'm going to stop looking in and being disappointed. Better off looking out of the window.....
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#35 Post by biggins » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

I thought you would be working SB and that would keep you busy.
I go for a walk early morning before it gets too busy with being in the older age group. Only go to the local shop twice a week again early morning. Haven't seen family or friends for weeks but keep in touch with video chats and phone calls.
Spend a bit of time on Facebook where some of the posts are very funny and humour keeps your spirits up.
Watching with baited breath to see how things will change in England with restrictions !lifting a little there but although not a Nicola Sturgeon fan I agree with her still too many deaths to relax here in Scotland.
Keep safe everyone.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#36 Post by Diane65 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm

I am so sorry Stuartboy as I am guilty of not posting much lately and offering moral support so I really do take your point. Hope you are okay.

Hope that you are okay Biggins and glad that you are getting your daily exercise.

I must admit the first 4 weeks I felt physically wrung out by what I was seeing in work. I was literally going to work and coming home eating and going to bed sometimes in bed by 7pm and didn't really want to speak to anyone or even go for a walk. So once again humble apologies for not being here in these tough times but I will get my act together and do my bit.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#37 Post by Beate » Thu May 14, 2020 8:34 pm

I am so sorry you feel abandoned, stuartboy. There is a dedicated Coronavirus thread and I told everyone on 17th March to drop in and chat whenever they liked, but I guess I can't force people to use this site as their meeting point.

I actually feel quite busy at the moment, despite not working. Shopping, online or in person, seems to take for ages, I cook and bake more, and the washing up is relentless. Adding to that, I have tons of books to read and 72 episodes of Death in Paradise to watch on the iPlayer, which is actually full of great stuff at the moment. I've started growing some vegetables on my windowsills, and I talk more to my mother than I ever have.

I don't go out much, just once a week to get my click & collect from Asda, but I b*y flowers everytime, and I take pictures of nature and sunsets because they are beautiful.

I also chat to the boyfriend a lot who as it happens lives in Germany and we are apart now for God knows how long, as borders, airlines and quarantines are against us. I last saw him in March, he should have been here for Easter, but it was cancelled. As was his London conference in May and any plans for June etc. I probably won't get to eat any fresh white asparagus at all this year, and I don't mean that as a euphemism - it is asparagus season right now till end of June. In March I went to the post office and b*ght 12 stamps so I can send him a weekly morale boosting postcard. They've been arriving later and later as the postal systems struggle with the situation. One took two weeks!

I haven't seen any friends but speak to them via phone and WhatsApp. Bevvy and her OH had to lock themselves away as they are both on the government's shielding list, but she still managed to send me a birthday gift via Amazon. :)

A good friend's mother died, and they could only have 5 people at the funeral. Yet still she called me to give me gardening advice. :))

I spend way too much time on twitter, which for me is a mixture of politics, cute hedgehogs and AITA posts (check them out if you have never heard of them!) I have been winning a few books on twitter which I was ridiculously excited to receive, as I'm struggling with e-books, truth be told. I'm reading them, but under protest.

So yes, we all have our crosses to bear and our ways of making them bearable. I don't actually mind spending so much time at home on my sofa, and I have a balcony, but I hate the loss of control over my life and having to adapt to a new reality, plus not seeing my loved ones in person. We should have had this lockdown sooner, and we should be told to wear face masks. I have two cotton ones that I got sent from Germany, which is better than nothing!

P.S. Word to the wise, when you're composing a lengthy post, don't change windows half way through, you'll lose the post!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#38 Post by prettyxcool » Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 pm

I too am sorry you felt let down by this site, stuartboy.

I started my lockdown a week earlier than the official lockdown, and been working from home (I literally moved everything on my desk home to do so), so am just as busy. For me, nothing much has changed, albeit I stay at home as required, and everything is done virtually. I have only been out food shopping, three times in the last 9 weeks! Doing big shops to go out as little as possible. I did not use online shopping, as I wanted to leave slots for people who are unable to go out. I only ventured out for a walk, 3 times so far too, because I do not feel safe going out around where I live as too many people are out and about, doing their walks, and shopping, it seems too crowded to feel safe for me.

All the events I normally attend for work has been switched to webinars and Zoom. I watch live masterclasses and tutorials on baking and cooking on instagram. I do my yoga classes from my yoga teacher live on instagram too. I have regular Zoom catch up with family and friends. There are countless free shows, plays, ballets, musicals on youtube (I have posted some on the boards here, if no one has beat me to it!) . I also catch up on iPlayer, Netflix and NowTV. I have done wine tastings, and pub quizzes on Zoom too. I Iisten to podcasts to give my eyes a rest from all this watching from one screen to another.

I use social media a lot, keeping in touch with friends on instagram, twitter and WhatsApp groups and Facebook messenger groups, and on emails. And when I have a spare minute, I do try and pop on here to post some humour and light relief posts, but wary to do so, as I don't want to come across as flippant during such scary times. I try to do happy things for my mental wellbeing, and continue to do what I enjoy, and have fun, but again, I don't want to come across as uncaring . I watch a lot of comedy and am thoroughly enjoying the Celebrity Bake Off, Graham Norton and Joe Lycett's Got Your Back.

On top of which my daily cooking and cleaning!

I agree with Beate about the facemasks. I have family and friends in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Latvia, and none of these countries were lockdown. They all automatically wore masks, closed their borders, closed public buildings, social distancing, they test your temperature entering any shops, restaurants, banks etc, better safe than sorry, and hand sanitised before entering too.

In those countries, they believe facemasks are useful to stop you spreading if you cough, and avoid catching anything if someone who is a carrier and don't know it.

I can't believe UK didn't test anyone entering at our borders. Precautions they could have taken earlier, not react once the horse has bolted.
Last edited by prettyxcool on Fri May 15, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#39 Post by Beate » Fri May 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Oh PXC, you should never feel guilty about posting happy or funny stuff! I have sent and received tons of Corona jokes via WhatsApp, most as pics or videos, so can't really post them here, but I think humour is important now more than ever!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#40 Post by Diane65 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 pm

I can feel your pain Beate. White asparagus is heaven.

I totally understand PXC re being sensitive re humour at this time but it really does help to keep us all positive.

I was off work last week as supposed to be in Paris so I decided to fake it instead. I started off by painting my nails red and wearing French perfume to get in the French spirit. We did a French menu for the week every single meal had to be French, we watched French films every evening as in like Moulin Rouge etc and I read 3 light hearted books based in France. It was actually really good fun but as I am not good at just being and liking being on a mission I made up my wheelie bin covers, t cut my daughter's car, and did some sewing plus lots of baking for VE days to share with my neighbours (I didn't handle anything with my hands out of the oven used tongs etc ANTT style so I could leave on their doorsteps) and we had a virtual afternoon tea by Whatsapp). As I was on annual leave I was in a totally different mindset so treated it as a holiday.

How is everyone else getting on?