mupton
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#6191 Post by mupton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 pm

ahman wrote:
cliveas wrote:
ahman wrote:Would appreciate knowing how to find out about understudy rehearsals in London. Are they still being done?
Understudy performances or dress rehearsals? Both are very necessary and are undoubtedly "still being done". Public dress rehearsals would normally be advertised by the theatre whereas understudy performances would most likely be advertised possibly by the company, but mainly by the performers themselves. Unfortunately the old Facebook group for the latter is no more, presumably due to the problems with some theatres demanding fees.

Thank you. Now I know.
From what I understand the theatres have not been demanding fees. RSC traditionally charges a ticket price and these are openly advertised. From what I understand the west end theatres were just concerned that hundreds upon hundreds were turning up; hence the FB was dramatically scaled back to a core few who are in the business, and is incognito.

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#6192 Post by cliveas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:34 pm

mupton wrote:From what I understand the theatres have not been demanding fees. RSC traditionally charges a ticket price and these are openly advertised. From what I understand the west end theatres were just concerned that hundreds upon hundreds were turning up; hence the FB was dramatically scaled back to a core few who are in the business, and is incognito.
Traditionally the West End contracts included provision for (two, I think) understudy performances per run at no cost, however problems arose over the interpretation of what shows were covered by this. I went to the last performance covered by the public Facebook group. Like previous ones it was not oversubscribed as the group operated a name on the door policy, confirming places individually and then announcing that their list was full. However they had to write a long explanatory message to those of us on the list, due to the theatre in question demanding a £10 per person handling fee to cover extra staff costs. The FB group managed to negotiate this fee down to £5 per person, but were clearly very embarrassed about having to go back on their word. I had booked 3 places and ended up p*ying £15 to the theatre when collecting the tickets. I had to explain to the two people that went with me that the places were no longer completely free as I had told them based upon what had been stated when originally booking.

mupton
The Third Man
The Third Man

#6193 Post by mupton » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

cliveas wrote:
mupton wrote:From what I understand the theatres have not been demanding fees. RSC traditionally charges a ticket price and these are openly advertised. From what I understand the west end theatres were just concerned that hundreds upon hundreds were turning up; hence the FB was dramatically scaled back to a core few who are in the business, and is incognito.
Traditionally the West End contracts included provision for (two, I think) understudy performances per run at no cost, however problems arose over the interpretation of what shows were covered by this. I went to the last performance covered by the public Facebook group. Like previous ones it was not oversubscribed as the group operated a name on the door policy, confirming places individually and then announcing that their list was full. However they had to write a long explanatory message to those of us on the list, due to the theatre in question demanding a £10 per person handling fee to cover extra staff costs. The FB group managed to negotiate this fee down to £5 per person, but were clearly very embarrassed about having to go back on their word. I had booked 3 places and ended up p*ying £15 to the theatre when collecting the tickets. I had to explain to the two people that went with me that the places were no longer completely free as I had told them based upon what had been stated when originally booking.
I might be wrong, but from my recollection - which I have just checked on FB - that this was an RSC performance of HENRY IV, Pt 1 (in December 2014) and they (the RSC) always charge £10. The confusion arose because usually the understudy runs are at Stratford. That one was in London, at the Barbican. And yes, they did negotiate it down to £5 as you said. And according to the guy that runs the FB group, and still continues to do so, it was the sheer numbers - including I might add that there was concern from the theatres that notices on the FB site were being reposted on other sites.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#6194 Post by prettyxcool » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:31 pm

Saw Rainbow Magic Live - Saving Fairyland from the Panto Company this morning at Leicester Square Theatre.

Really enjoyed this lovely, entertaining, bright and humorous panto! It was good fun. A pleasant 90 minutes (including 15 minutes interval) for a Saturday morning. Lots of audience participation, all the kiddies loved it. Only one gripe from me is the villain was not wicked enough! :D
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Boo
Air Force One
Air Force One

Sunset Boulevard at London Coliseum

#6195 Post by Boo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:12 am

Good musical and beautifully staged. This production is only semi staged but is done really well. The orchestra a great too. I loved the costumes of Norma Desmond (Glenn Close).

I first saw it on press night on 4 April but couldn't really appreciate how good it was as I was in a box in the upper circle and it felt too far away from the action.

The second time I saw it, a week later, I was in the front stalls and being close to the action made it much more enjoyable. I loved the music and Glenn Close was superb, and in fact, all the cast were good.

The only thing that spoilt it was the chap next to me who thought watching his phone ring and texting, whilst disturbing everyone around by the light from his phone, was more interesting than actually watching the show!

Katsonstage

#6196 Post by Katsonstage » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:04 am

Ah, the usual idiots. I've heard lots about appalling behaviour of audience members in this particular show. Perhaps because it's attracting peeps who are non-regular theatre goers?

And the ushers at the Coli, although very nice, are pretty useless at intervening

Nazerino
Air Force One
Air Force One

Film Gala 2016

#6197 Post by Nazerino » Sun May 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Enjoyed last night's Film Gala in Royal Albert Hall. One tweeter said the composer looked like Michael McIntyre and another said the pianist looked like Claudio Ranieri which even led the host to Google the Tinkerman. Really enjoyed all iconic tracks including those by Hans Zimmer and John Williams.

Nazerino
Air Force One
Air Force One

#6198 Post by Nazerino » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Look forward to watching Independence Day Live orchestra later this September.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#6199 Post by raj101 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Stone free, aptly named festival, it was free for me!

Therapy? - still loud and abrasive even though they must be ancient now

Blackberry Smoke - silky guitar RnB

Apocalyptica - great live, they really got into their act even if their music isn't all that a bit carbon copy for obvious reasons.

The Darkness -suitably loud from the band itself but highly annoying vocal style from the frontman, got unbearable after a couple of songs. He needs to develop a wider range instead of sounding like a castrated chimp 95% of the time.

more to follow, generally a pretty damn good day out.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#6200 Post by raj101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:07 am

Day 2 was totally different, an all seated "event" with a full orchestra to boot, but a mixed bag on offer.

Pink Floyd Symphonic - nice.
Steve Hackett - not my thing but people seemed pleased and his set was well presented
Marillion - appalling to be honest! (except when they did classic songs)
Rick Wakeman - not actually a band, more a full blown musical about Arthur! (the mythic King not Dudley Moore) Epic but it got very repetitive.

Some of us filmfirsters were given seats on the arena floor today, as well as floor access on Day 1. There were some excellent bands playing in the foyer of the 02, outside the 02 and free entry into the Indigo's bands too. All in all something for everyone, even if wasn't all my thing.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?