Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#5081 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 am

cliveas wrote:
canadian_turtle wrote:Saw new musical Loserville at the Garrick Theatre today, which was such fun! Very geeky, colourful and with a cartoonish style (lots of use of cardboard props which looked really cool as well as exaggerated seams on clothes to give that cartoon look). There was some really nifty ways they used the props too to show the actor's names and change the set.

While supposedly set in the 70s (though not obvious from clothes and hair styles) the music is 90s pop, great for those who grew up in that era (like me) to reminiscence. Very catchy and overall sung well. In fact, the acting, dancing and singing was (albeit a bit over the top sometimes to fit the show's style) really decent and it's just one of those shows that makes you feel all happy after watching it.

In all, highly recommended! 9/10

During previews day seats (front row which didn't really have restricted view, just be warned you're in the "spit zone" of a few of the actors) are only £10 each.
I'm glad it's good - as I seem to find myself seeing it twice this week!
Lucky you, enjoy! o/
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#5082 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 am

FREE rehearsed reading of The Boys In The Band at Greenwich Theatre on Sun 28 October 2012

Patrick Wilde, writer of the award-winning Get Real directs a free rehearsed reading of this gay classic especially for Greenwich Theatre.

The Boys In The Band changed the landscape of gay theatre forever. It seems remarkable that in an industry so influenced, some would say dominated, by gay people, it was once virtually impossible to write and perform openly gay stories. Mart Crowley’s, extraordinary black comedy about a group of New York gay men trying to make sense of their lot first hit Broadway barely a year before the Stonewall Riots. Just as those rebellious nights in New York kick-started the gay liberation movement, The Boys In The Band, the play, made it possible to write an un-coded play about gay people, and it’s film version, blew open the celluloid closet door.

The performance will be followed by a Q and A on the history and future of gay theatre writing. Joining Patrick on the panel will be Matt Ian Kelly (Lightning Strikes, However Do You want Me), John Stanley (Proud) and other gay writers.

Performance time: 7.30pm
Ticket prices: Free - reserve your tickets on 020 8858 7755

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road

Rainey
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#5083 Post by Rainey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Booking has opened for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory for next summer at Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.

https://www.facebook.com/CharlieandtheC ... 7500918527
Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

jojojoanne
Se7en
Se7en

#5084 Post by jojojoanne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Saw 'Driving Miss Daisy' at Croydon tonight. I thought it was a very good performance. Only three actors. Don Warrington (from tv's Rising Damp) and Gwen Taylor (tv's Duty Free) and another actor I didn't recognise, but he's been in a few things. Don Warrington's performance was the best. I have never seen the film (got it on video somewhere - yes, VIDEO!!!). Thanks to asamaic for the Code.

ClareBarr
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#5085 Post by ClareBarr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 am

I was there too jojojoanne, my friends & I thought it was fab too :)

Ms Thrifty

#5086 Post by Ms Thrifty » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 am

Gutted I had to miss this (domestic clash) but glad to hear it was good and hoping for more tix this week.

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#5087 Post by cliveas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:27 pm

I also saw 'Driving Miss Daisy' last night.

I had picked up my ticket quite early but received a very poor seat allocation. However for some strange reason many of the very best seats were empty (strange as the all the stalls appear to be priced the same). So when people seemed to have stopped coming in I moved to one of the best seats in the house.

It started around 20 minutes late after some technical problems. The strength of this production is all in the play itself, the very simple story not failing to be touching even when I was familiar with it already. The set was very basic indeed and the acting and direction in my opinion were solid but unexceptional. An enjoyable evening but not especially memorable.

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#5088 Post by Jayman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 am

Watched Les Misérables tonight. Not free...well not for me anyway (treated my visiting folks to a night at the theatre).
Solid production, stunning sets and great performances. Needless to say, I hated it.

I have this disability, you see. When music plays, my mind wanders off to Mars.
So to watch a 2.5 hour production in which literally every line of 17th century-accented dialogue had been delivered through song, well, you can just guess how well I was able to follow it. To be completely honest, I kinda dozed off several times during the first 90 minutes....yeah, I suck.

I studied a detailed synopsis during the interval and thankfully managed to enjoy the last hour which seemed to be a lot more action driven.

Overall, am really looking forward to the movie. It is undeniably an extraordinary story with some truly epic potential.
ImageImage

kingofswords

#5089 Post by kingofswords » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 am

is crazy horse smart dress?

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#5090 Post by canadian_turtle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 am

Saw Dreamboats and Petticoats last night which has transferred to the West End. The voices of the cast were mostly not extra ordinary (the two leads were good though) but the songs are very catchy and the atmosphere in the theatre was very energetic making it still a fab experience. And since it was their first show in the new theatre (with I assume mostly a new cast since the transfer) I can cut them some slack too.

8.5/10

Jayman wrote:Watched Les Misérables tonight. Not free...well not for me anyway (treated my visiting folks to a night at the theatre).
Solid production, stunning sets and great performances. Needless to say, I hated it.

I have this disability, you see. When music plays, my mind wanders off to Mars.
So to watch a 2.5 hour production in which literally every line of 17th century-accented dialogue had been delivered through song, well, you can just guess how well I was able to follow it. To be completely honest, I kinda dozed off several times during the first 90 minutes....yeah, I suck.

I studied a detailed synopsis during the interval and thankfully managed to enjoy the last hour which seemed to be a lot more action driven.

Overall, am really looking forward to the movie. It is undeniably an extraordinary story with some truly epic potential.
I saw the show myself earlier this year and while for different reasons than you listed I also thought it wasn't that great. It's also waaaay too long >.< My (short) review: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 65#p196665