Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
CtheG84
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#6311 Post by CtheG84 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Sherry wrote:Yes! It's been great. The main problem has actually been figuring out which ones to go to. I loved The Three Musketeers - shows at St. Paul's church seems to be generally well done, interactive, and fun. I also went to One Last Look, which was very intense in a good way.

Keep it up. Glad your enjoying - always struggle with what to attend as theres too much choice.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#6312 Post by raj101 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:41 pm

I was lucky enough to get free tickets to the Go Organic Festival, thinking it was a bog standard food festival. However its a hybrid music/food, interesting idea but it doesnt quite pull off either with aplomb. The music stage feels so divorced form the food side of it, the bands were at best B class, and the food wasnt really interesting, naff burgers and stuff. To illustrate the point, the staff were all walking off in the breaks to get lunch outside the event.

Could do with beefing up for next year, but still I appreciate the free tickets particularly since there was loads to do elsewhere in London yesterday too for free (NFL rally plus gig, South Bank Centre show, Folk festival and even a free movie at St James Market, Afropunk.... far from a wasted day).
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

Sherry
Air Force One
Air Force One

#6313 Post by Sherry » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:34 pm

I actually went to the same event today and found it pretty fun. The festival did seem a bit confused at what it was (was it for families, music, organic produce, food demos?), but I enjoyed the samples of organic produce, b*ght a couple of reasonably priced items, and got some interesting ideas for using whey powder. I think with kids, it would have been really fun (petting zoo, kid activities, etc). It was a bit smaller than I thought it would be, but overall not bad. I unfortunately didn't get free tickets, was kicking myself for not waiting when I saw the free tickets come up.

I also went to some events that I got free tickets for at the Unlimited festival (Southbank Centrr) and was very impressed by the shows I saw - the dyre sister and Inner Vision were ethereal musical performances, and This Is Not A Safe Space was very funny. After I went to those shows, I was actually a bit disappointed I couldn't see more events from the Unlimited Festival because of conflicts. They seemed to do a very good job finding meaningful and creative artists with disabilities. The breathing chamber at the Southbank Centre lobby area was also cool to look at while waiting for rooms to open for the shows.

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#6314 Post by cliveas » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 am

raj101 wrote:interesting idea but it doesnt quite pull off either with aplomb. The music stage feels so divorced form the food side of it, the bands were at best B class, and the food wasnt really interesting, naff burgers and stuff.
Must have missed you then Raj.

A bit harsh I thought. I agree that the music side needs beefing up and the area where the stage is located is poor (was expecting grass). I thought The Magic Numbers in particular were rather good though. And if you got a naff burger then you went to the wrong place. The stall for the organic farm in Leicestershire had long queues but that was for a reason. Best burger I've had for a long time!

I didn't bother with the talks and demonstrations or the funfair so can't comment on those but where it really delivered was with the exhibitors. A huge variety of samples and freebies available and significant discounts on items as well thanks to the bypassing of the retailers. I b*ght one item which retails at £4.50 for £2 and others much cheaper than normal as well, as did my friends. And having sampled everything first of course. The mini zoo was popular as well.

Overall not at all bad for a first time I thought. If they learn from where they did go wrong then the event has potential for it's second year onwards I would have said.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#6315 Post by raj101 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:06 pm

saw Funny Girl at the cinema last night. Casting was a bit weird heightwise - never realised Sheridan Smith was so small! Darius Campbell was playing her hubbie, hes so tall, so that and Sheridans weight gain amplified the difference a lot! Good show apart from the mismatched size, I am not sure Fanny Brice was actually that small.

Saw Soldier On at The Other Palace. Funny and original show, the individual talents are very good, though the story felt a bit random and the end felt a bit forced but it was mostly light hearted so it didnt matter. Fun.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?