Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#31 Post by Celini » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am

raj000 wrote:what are the best seats in Old Vic.. is it the stalls (or) dress circle?
I saw "A you like it" there last week; the view is excellent from the dress circle (apart from few seats behind posts, but I dont think they sell those tickets). The advantage is you see perfectly well the rear part of the stage.
Our seats were D14 and D15, right in the central axis! loved them!
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

opas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 157
Preferred Cinemas: Central London (All West End), East London (WIQ, Stratford), North London (Islington), South East London (Greenwich, Surrey Quays), Cineworld Ilford and West London (Shepherds Bush, Whiteleys)

#32 Post by opas » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Was lucky enough to see The Tempest at the Old Vic last night. We were given very good seats in the stalls, row M. Fantastic, couldn't believe our luck. Good performance which I enjoyed. I will agree about the acoustics being a bit off in places, sometimes I found it difficult to hear and other times it was perfect. Very strange. But in terms of view we were in a good spot. Not too close to the stage where you have to crank your neck, or fear getting splashed by the water thrown by the actors, but I could see their faces and the wider stage very clearly.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned it but I think the actor who played Ariel also played Dexter's brother (in TV show Dexter) so that was a nice surprise. Did anyone else notice?

Oh and Southwark wasn't looking as rough as I remember it! I haven't been along The Cut /Waterloo (apart from running through to the IMAX) for years but it has been tidied up well. It was a nice summer afternoon so I was probably seeing it at its best but I just remember that area as not being very pleasant. Looks like its undergone some regeneration/gentrification. Interesting to see how areas in London change over time.
Member No. 16 of the "100 free films in 2016" club
3 seen / 97 to go

41 films seen in 2015, 55 films seen in 2013, 72 free films seen in 2012
60 free films seen in 2011, 57 free films seen in 2010
51 free films seen in 2009, 47 free films seen in 2008

5rannoch
Phase IV
Phase IV

#33 Post by 5rannoch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Many thanks to prettyxcool for agreeing to share your photos of the Rod Stewart concert and Beate for sending me the link. The photos are really excellent and certainly capture the atmosphere. I particularly like the ones at the very, very end as they enabled me to catch up with what I missed by having to leave early to catch the train home.
Member No. 5 of the "100 free films in 2011" club - 52 seen - reached my 50 target!!!

Member No. 5 of the "100 free films in 2012" club - 17 seen - realistically aiming for 55

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2013" club - 9 seen - aiming for 35

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2014" club - 6 seen - aiming for 25

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2015" club - 8 seen - aiming for 25

pcRock
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Croydon

#34 Post by pcRock » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

opas wrote:Was lucky enough to see The Tempest at the Old Vic last night. We were given very good seats in the stalls, row M. Fantastic, couldn't believe our luck. Good performance which I enjoyed. I will agree about the acoustics being a bit off in places, sometimes I found it difficult to hear and other times it was perfect. Very strange. But in terms of view we were in a good spot. Not too close to the stage where you have to crank your neck, or fear getting splashed by the water thrown by the actors, but I could see their faces and the wider stage very clearly.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned it but I think the actor who played Ariel also played Dexter's brother (in TV show Dexter) so that was a nice surprise. Did anyone else notice?
Yes, it is that actor. Well spoted. o/

On Friday we went to see As You Like It and on Saturday The Tempest. We also got really good seats on Saturday in the stalls, row K. On Friday the seats that were allocated to us were not that great (antepenultimate row in the stalls). We enjoyed As You Like It much more than The Tempest, to be honest.

Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 8 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 18 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 30 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 24 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 43 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2010" club. 54 seen

mandyk
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: North or central London

#35 Post by mandyk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Has anyone seen Hair? Is it worth the ticket price, or do you think there might be a free offer one day?!?

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#36 Post by superhero » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 am

I doubt they would do free tickets for Hair, it's finishing soon anyway and I haven't seen SFF do free tickets for a West End musical yet.

destresserai
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 581
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston, Epsom, Wandsworth, Croydon Grants

#37 Post by destresserai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:55 am

superhero wrote:I doubt they would do free tickets for Hair, it's finishing soon anyway and I haven't seen SFF do free tickets for a West End musical yet.

I agree - very unlikely to get freebies for this - even The Audience Club rarely do tickets for the "big" musicals.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Albert Einstein

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#38 Post by Celini » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:31 pm

I strongly encourage the Londoners to see the 2 Sam Mendes productions at the Old Vic... As you like it and The Tempest! I think they will run for 2 more weeks and there is free tickets almost every day!

Even if I did not understand everything (well, I am not a native speaker...), I truly enjoyed them; the cast is excellent (Thomas Sadoski is excellent and pretty cute as well!) plus the Old Vic is definitely worth it!

mandyk
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: North or central London

#39 Post by mandyk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:47 pm

How do you get the free tickets? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I registered with several sites like ShowFilmFirst and don't get many emails from them. I haven't seen any about these shows, so any advice would be really welcome, thank you!

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2

#40 Post by Celini » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Keep an eye on this thread Free Theatre/Concert Thread
Last edited by Celini on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.