Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
Jayman
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#5071 Post by Jayman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 pm

I saw the Crazy Horse show in Vegas and it was one of the worst things I've ever sat through in my life.
However, there was an interrim act which somewhat redeemed it - a brilliant Pop and Lock act by a duo called the Scott Brothers.
Those guys actually got more of a rise out of the audience than the limp cabaret dancers.

Check it out here:

Last edited by Jayman on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#5072 Post by asamaic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:26 pm

I cancelled tickets for Crazy Horse because it clashed with some other shows I had tickets for - I'm glad to hear I didn't miss out on that much.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#5073 Post by canadian_turtle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Saw new musical Loserville at the Garrick Theatre today, which was such fun! Very geeky, colourful and with a cartoonish style (lots of use of cardboard props which looked really cool as well as exaggerated seams on clothes to give that cartoon look). There was some really nifty ways they used the props too to show the actor's names and change the set.

While supposedly set in the 70s (though not obvious from clothes and hair styles) the music is 90s pop, great for those who grew up in that era (like me) to reminiscence. Very catchy and overall sung well. In fact, the acting, dancing and singing was (albeit a bit over the top sometimes to fit the show's style) really decent and it's just one of those shows that makes you feel all happy after watching it.

In all, highly recommended! 9/10

During previews day seats (front row which didn't really have restricted view, just be warned you're in the "spit zone" of a few of the actors) are only £10 each.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

jojojoanne
Se7en
Se7en

#5074 Post by jojojoanne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 pm

canadian_turtle wrote:Saw new musical Loserville at the Garrick Theatre today, which was such fun! Very geeky, colourful and with a cartoonish style (lots of use of cardboard props which looked really cool as well as exaggerated seams on clothes to give that cartoon look). There was some really nifty ways they used the props too to show the actor's names and change the set.

While supposedly set in the 70s (though not obvious from clothes and hair styles) the music is 90s pop, great for those who grew up in that era (like me) to reminiscence. Very catchy and overall sung well. In fact, the acting, dancing and singing was (albeit a bit over the top sometimes to fit the show's style) really decent and it's just one of those shows that makes you feel all happy after watching it.

During previews day seats (front row which didn't really have restricted view, just be warned you're in the "spit zone" of a few of the actors) are only £10 each.

My Sister saw this too and thought it was brilliant!!

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#5075 Post by cliveas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 am

Damned by Despair:
I can see why there was criticism of this on here.

However It is a classic story and very good story if rather clichéd to our modern eyes. Unfortunately the staging is something of a mess. The attempts to inject modernisms, Tarantino et al just don’t really work with this play unfortunately. Also and critically for me while I actually quite liked the pairing of Sebastian Armesto and Rory Keenan, the pairing of Bertie Carvel and Alex Warren seemed totally devoid of any presence or charisma whatsoever.

Songs of Migration:
This is really just a selection of African songs on a theme, mainly not in English with a little narration (in English). If I had realised that I may well not have gone.

However I am so glad that I did. There were nine singers/performers including Hugh Masekela himself supported by a five piece band. The standard of musicianship was uniformly excellent, time absolutely flew by and everyone left smiling and with a feeling that they had experienced something rather special.

Great to have seen a quality performer who had a U.S. number one and has worked with Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and U2 to name but a few, in the lovely Hackney Empire.

jcolombi
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Leamington

#5076 Post by jcolombi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:13 pm

canadian_turtle wrote:Saw new musical Loserville at the Garrick Theatre today, which was such fun! Very geeky, colourful and with a cartoonish style (lots of use of cardboard props which looked really cool as well as exaggerated seams on clothes to give that cartoon look). There was some really nifty ways they used the props too to show the actor's names and change the set.

Did they have song's from the album?
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

A pony walks into the bar and whispers, "I'll have a beer, please." The barkeeper asks, "Why are you whispering?".
"I'm a little hoarse."

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#5077 Post by cliveas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:23 pm

loveCine wrote:I went to see Sound of Migration yesterday. It was an interesting experience as altough i did not understand alot of what was being said and sang, i stayed til the end. Audience around me were loving it. HUGH MASEKELA has some nifty dance moves.
It bugged me at first that I couldn't understand as well, but then I just got into the rythms of the music. He certainly can dance - and sing - and write - and of course play!

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#5078 Post by cliveas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm glad it's good - as I seem to find myself seeing it twice this week!

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#5079 Post by asamaic » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:17 pm

cliveas wrote:Damned by Despair:
I can see why there was criticism of this on here.

However It is a classic story and very good story if rather clichéd to our modern eyes. Unfortunately the staging is something of a mess. The attempts to inject modernisms, Tarantino et al just don’t really work with this play unfortunately. Also and critically for me while I actually quite liked the pairing of Sebastian Armesto and Rory Keenan, the pairing of Bertie Carvel and Alex Warren seemed totally devoid of any presence or charisma whatsoever.
From time to time, have a look for hashtag #damnedbydespair on Twitter. The audience are very angry indeed, to point where their reactions are quite entertaining. I've never known a show to have so many walkouts!

The director's discussion is this Wednesday - I'm half wondering if Bijan Sheibani is going to get lynched by a mob with pitchforks.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#5080 Post by superhero » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:20 pm

I think they've really overdone the cabaret/burlesque stuff in the South Bank/West End recently. It does get a bit repetitive after a while.