IT Help, Please

Chat about anything
Ms Thrifty

IT Help, Please

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:33 pm

I wasn't sure where to ask this and it isn't strictly about this site, but... a few days ago, Windows Update offered me IE8, which I duly downloaded and installed, as it said it would save my settings. However, ever since, all my windows persist in opening in the smaller size, rather than full-screen, as before, and as I would like. I know I can use the "maximize" button, or drag them to fit the screen, but it is a pain to have to do it each time and there must be a way to make it my default setting. Could someone please explain, simply, how to do it? I have already asked several colleagues who are usually reliable for IT help, but none of their suggestions has worked. Thank you!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Re: IT Help, Please

#2 Post by AYBG » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Hmm
I don't use IE, but I would've thought it'd open your browser at whatever size it was when you last closed it...
Top 50 Poster!

phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 3002
Preferred Cinemas: Central London - Cineworld Haymarket/Shaftsbury Avenue Odeon Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Panton Street/Tottenham Court Road/Marble Arch, Vue West End/Islington Empire Leicester Square, Prince Charles Cinema, Apollo Piccadilly Circus, BFI

#3 Post by phunkygal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 pm

easy solution use firefox or chrome!

do you mean all your windows or just your IE ones are opening minimised?

solution should be to close all other windows, open one IE8 and drag (dont use the maximise button) it to full size and then close using file, exit (dont use the x button)

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

#4 Post by Cortone » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 pm

I don't know whether this is for all sites, but my work has told us not to download this as it is incompatible with the software we use (including discussions boards).

Download firefox and it should bypass the problem to allow you to find out (via google) how to uninstall. You'll probably not miss IE anyway if you do this. Sadly - my preferred google chrome is not working with my work software since the last update to my work software.

And as for browser defaults - they all differ, between each other and with upgrades. If I book tickets under my name and my family members' names (which they go to!), they all print out in different sizes and even 'shades' because of the default settings of the browser. I've never bothered to investigate what and why...

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#5 Post by steve9872 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow, everyone says use a different browser. I don't!

Try this, open a single browser window, set it to the size/position you want. and then close it.
NB. Outlook uses the same window settings so make certain it is closed when you do this or you will waste your time!
When you reopen IE it should be at your new window size/position that you set previously.
NB. some sites resize your window for you and all subsequent windows will be that size - its a really unfriendly way of authoring a site.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

Ms Thrifty

#6 Post by Ms Thrifty » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I've drawn a blank, though, as the answer to AYBG's view is "unfortunately it doesn't"; I'm not going to change my browser because I'd rather stick to the devil I know (I am already regretting not sticking with IE7) and I've already tried what Steve suggested and that doesn't work, either. It's very mysterious and annoying! Furthermore, I am now endlessly plagued by a dialogue box asking me to explore IE8, but when I look, I don't even understand the terms used on the very first page - it's complete gobbledegook.

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

#7 Post by AYBG » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 am

Have you made sure you're closing IE completely, not just one window?

Edit: found this...
1. Close all Internet Explorer windows except for one.
2. Right-click on any link in the page and select "Open in New Window."
3. Close the first browser window using the [X] in the upper right corner in the title bar.
4. Resize the window manually by dragging the sides to fill the screen. Note: Do NOT click the Maximize button, you have to do it manually.
5. Hold down the Ctrl key and click the [X] in the upper right corner in the title bar.
Top 50 Poster!

phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London - Cineworld Haymarket/Shaftsbury Avenue Odeon Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Panton Street/Tottenham Court Road/Marble Arch, Vue West End/Islington Empire Leicester Square, Prince Charles Cinema, Apollo Piccadilly Circus, BFI

#8 Post by phunkygal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Ok ive been having a wierd problem on one of my pcs and have done some searches but cant seem to see anyone with this issue

When I open tabs from my bookmarks instead of opening the link some pages (but only some most are fine) open askjeeves search pages instead. I have never installed or used any sort of askjeeves toolbar but when i went to control panel add/remove it was there (I have a sneaky supsiosion some firefox addon included it without letting you choose not to) so I removed it.. but its still doing these stupid searches

its not just a firefox thing and it also managed to somehow set askjeeves as the homepage on IE i just noticed

any ideas?

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#9 Post by steve9872 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Just reset your homepage
Tools - Internet Options
and just set as many home pages as you want. (IE7 and up)

If it doesn't work then use this utility to find out what is actually running.
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US ... s/download
Be very sure about any programs you remove with this as it can easily wreck your system if you remove an essential program.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en

#10 Post by phunkygal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:44 pm

its not when im opening the home page its when im opening bookmarks or going to sites - it doesnt open the page im going to but searches ask instead, that program hasnt found anything else with ask to remove