mobile site

Ask questions, give feedback, discuss the site in general, etc
topcat

mobile site

#1 Post by topcat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:47 am

Hi all,

Would it be possible to make the site more mobile friendly?

I currently view the site through opera mini on my Blackberry which is good but doesn't fit to the screen without zooming.

This can be do by changing change the code in style.php

file..

Would just like to add this is a brilliant site , thanks to the creator and admin team

What do you think?

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

Re: mobile site

#2 Post by steve9872 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:00 pm

There are 3 styles available to chose from. Go to user control panel/board preferences/My board style and see if any of the others are any better.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#3 Post by a_person » Fri May 04, 2012 3:34 pm

I am afraid I completely disagree with a mobile site and I sure hope there isn't one and if there is the desktop site always takes precedence (which it won't, since m.fmuk.org.uk/forum would :roll:) . I absolutely HATE mobile sites. I use an iPhone so yes my screen is alot bigger than yours Topcat but I have always found mobile sites to be very limited and would HATE to see that happen for FMUK. And alot of the times the function doesn't work.

I can understand why you would want a mobile site since most of the time you'll be viewing the Free Films board so will be easy for you but people like myself (eg. tilly) who also post regularly from the iPhone and also moderate parts of the forum on the iPhone will find that a desktop version preferred since it's much easier to use and post.
Last edited by a_person on Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#4 Post by valda » Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

and breathe :D
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#5 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri May 04, 2012 3:58 pm

a_person wrote:I am afraid I completely disagree with a mobile site and I sure hope there isn't one and if there is the desktop site always takes precedence (which it won't, since m.fmuk.org.uk/forum would :roll:) . I absolutely HATE mobile sites. I use an iPhone so yes my screen is alot bigger than yours Topcat but I have always found mobile sites to be very limited and would HATE to see that happen for FMUK. And alot of the times the function doesn't work.

I can understand why you would want a mobile site since most of the time you'll be viewing the Free Films board so will be easy for you but people like myself (eg. tilly) who also post regularly from the iPhone and also moderate parts of the forum on the iPhone will find that a desktop version referred since it's much easier to use and post.
Wouldn't a mobile site be an additional option to the desktop one? You'd still be able to access and use the desktop one from your phone as normal :)
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#6 Post by a_person » Sun May 06, 2012 12:48 pm

canadian_turtle wrote: Wouldn't a mobile site be an additional option to the desktop one? You'd still be able to access and use the desktop one from your phone as normal :)
Yes and no, depends on how AYBG would implement it (if he did). You can have a choice of either having only a mobile site or both. If a mobile site exists, it automatically redirects to the mobile site when you type in the address as you would if you were at a desktop (changing from "www." to "m.") and then you have to go looking for the desktop version and then convert it over (so when you're outside and running on edge, that can be a f**king pain). This is where my issue lies. I don't come on here JUST for free codes which is why a desktop site is preferred. Why should I have to do the extra click to get to the desktop site because I might want to post elsewhere? If I'm outside, that can take a fair amount of time whilst I wait for it to load. Prettyxcool and denichka have a Blackberry (and my second mobile is a Blackberry) - they have never mentioned it affecting them and their screens are small too whereas most mobiles these days have fairly large screens anyway so doesn't really affect them....

My experience with mobile sites are that they have a fair few bugs on them which takes a while to sort out and alot of the time you get an error message that some parts don't/won't work on the mobile. I have used mobile version of forums on the iPhone before and I have hated it. Desktop version for me all the time.

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#7 Post by Beate » Sun May 06, 2012 12:58 pm

If you knew how old my mobile, computer, TV and printer are (Mr G can testify to this), then you'd know there is no danger of me implementing a mobile site anytime soon.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#8 Post by a_person » Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Cor blimey! And here I was complaining about my iPhone being slow to ft29 the other day... I wonder what I would have done if it were your phone I had! :shifty:

It has text functionality! That's a start! :p

Preferred cinema list:

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#9 Post by McG » Sun May 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Beate wrote:If you knew how old my mobile, computer, TV and printer are (Mr G can testify to this), then you'd know there is no danger of me implementing a mobile site anytime soon.
:drawer: :rofl2:
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#10 Post by canadian_turtle » Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm

a_person wrote:
canadian_turtle wrote: Wouldn't a mobile site be an additional option to the desktop one? You'd still be able to access and use the desktop one from your phone as normal :)
Yes and no, depends on how AYBG would implement it (if he did). You can have a choice of either having only a mobile site or both. If a mobile site exists, it automatically redirects to the mobile site when you type in the address as you would if you were at a desktop (changing from "www." to "m.") and then you have to go looking for the desktop version and then convert it over (so when you're outside and running on edge, that can be a f**king pain). This is where my issue lies. I don't come on here JUST for free codes which is why a desktop site is preferred. Why should I have to do the extra click to get to the desktop site because I might want to post elsewhere? If I'm outside, that can take a fair amount of time whilst I wait for it to load. Prettyxcool and denichka have a Blackberry (and my second mobile is a Blackberry) - they have never mentioned it affecting them and their screens are small too whereas most mobiles these days have fairly large screens anyway so doesn't really affect them....

My experience with mobile sites are that they have a fair few bugs on them which takes a while to sort out and alot of the time you get an error message that some parts don't/won't work on the mobile. I have used mobile version of forums on the iPhone before and I have hated it. Desktop version for me all the time.
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. I really thought it was as simple as enabling a plugin for the site and the user themselves can choose whether they want to continue with the desktop version or switch over. But if it's going to be a forced switch for mobile users I am with you all the way - I love my desktop version and personally don't want it to be changed either.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)