Ask questions, give feedback, discuss the site in general, etc
AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Social media login!

#1 Post by AYBG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am

I'm very excited about this...

new users can register with just one click via facebook, twitter, google, wordpress or windows live!

If you log out and go to the front-site, you'll be able to see it!

However, because this means usernames might be people's real names, which some may find undesirable, I'm going to allow users to change their own usernames via the User Control Panel.
Now kids, don't go crazy with this. We don't want people to get confused because you've changed your name a million times in a week!

What I'm looking into right now is a way for existing users to link their accounts to social networks, such that logging in would be as simple as a click too.

*Oh, just in case anyone's wondering, the usual way of registering is still available.
Top 50 Poster!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

Re: Social media login!

#2 Post by AYBG » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Just received confirmation that the next version of the plugin will allow existing users to connect their accounts to social networks - exciting!

Also getting new social media registrations emailed with their password shouldn't be too complicated, from what I'm told :-)

Edit: making progress with this... emails are sent to the majority of social media registrations. Another file edit should do the trick and then the system will be working perfectly.
Top 50 Poster!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

Re: Social media login!

#3 Post by AYBG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Announcing social link for existing members!

You can now link your profile to your facebook, twitter, google, windows live, wordpress or steam account :)

Subsequently you'll be able to log in with one click via the front-site, yay

To enable this:

1) While logged in, go to http://www.fmuk.org.uk/wp-admin/profile.php
2) Scroll to the bottom where it says "Connect your account to one or more social networks" with the social network icons
3) Click the social network you want to connect with
4) If you're not signed on to it, you'll need to log in
5) Accept permissions and submit

To test it out, log out and visit the front site. Click the social network icon you chose. If you did everything right, it'll log you into your existing account rather than registering another :)
Top 50 Poster!