Have any good free screening stories?

Ask questions, give feedback, discuss the site in general, etc
Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

Re: Have any good free screening stories?

#11 Post by Yinster » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:Selfish of me but I'm thinking that if these free screenings receive that much publicity suddenly, either we'll never be able to get tix in future or the promoters will give up running them!
I don't think promoters will ever get rid of preview screenings. They serve a purpose for the film production team to see how a film will do before general release. Also companies like SKY and virgins use them to reward their customers. On the other side cinema chains love them as it doesn't cost them anything to show the preview, money comes in for them from the kiosk and hiring of the screen and if it is 3D they get the money refunded from the 3D glasses giving out.

However I too don't think it is a great idea for someone especially someone who sees a lot of free films in the year being on TV. The problem arises when the ask how do you manage to see so many films without p*ying? How much do you reveal to them about how you obtain tickets? Cos really that is what the show is about. And don't forget it is not just the general public who will be seeing this. It is the companies and promoters too.

The selfish side of me says it will be harder to get tickets for myself if even more people know. I was talking to a friend at work who uses SKY rewards and he says it's harder than ever to get tickets cos SKY advertising their rewards more often.

I think a wee part of me also feels so many people out there likes being spoon fed and given it to them on a plate. We have over a thousand members on this board and there are plenty more in other boards and the majority of them only registered so they can get those precious codes when they are released. Something for Nothing sounds good but I think it's nice if you put a wee bit of effort to get your freebie.

Then another part of me thinks if anyone really wants to know how to see films for free then simply do a google search. It is what I did. Do you reckon Channel 4 would be happy with that answer?
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#12 Post by asamaic » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 pm

I think financial education etc is great, the more people that reaches, the better.

But with things like free screenings, the more you tell, the same number of people benefit. Spreading the message doesn't increase the number of freebies on offer. Sky, after all, are not going to extend the super screen. ;)

Mr Lewis just doesn't get that and I suspect neither does this film company. I'm just not convinced this is a good concept for a show.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

#13 Post by AYBG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Yinster wrote:Then another part of me thinks if anyone really wants to know how to see films for free then simply do a google search. It is what I did. Do you reckon Channel 4 would be happy with that answer?
Aye, I'll be asking them to not refer to FMUK directly anyway - I wouldn't be able to handle the bandwidth for one thing!

But I'm not liking this sentiment against people knowing about talkers. Tut-tut! Be egalitarian. I don't see why "promoters will give up running them" when the whole point is to get bums on seats! In some alternate world where this led to a massive increase in people seeking free previews - which is not going to happen with what I suspect is a one-off daytime show - logically wouldn't that mean more screenings?
Top 50 Poster!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

#14 Post by AYBG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:03 pm

rawr_xoxo wrote:I'd definitely be up for it :D

One of my fave screening moments was when I had 4 tickets a for kung fu panda 2 and literally 10 minutes before we were going in, the two friends who hadn't arrived yet, text to say they weren't coming, naturally not wanting the tickets to go to waste, I saw a pair of teenage girls looking at film times and seeing what started the soonest so they didn't have to go home yet.
I grabbed them, said come with me, explained the tickets and they were shocked and continued to get their money out to p*y for them!
They seemed completely taken aback when I said no they're free!
Loved seeing their reaction more than anything, never got a thank you off them though :(
Heh, I've been tempted to do that, never had the guts though!
If you PM me with your email and phone, I could pass on to the researcher? Not sure how likely it is it'd lead to a telly appearance heheh, might just be a quick call from the research team - especially if you want it to be just that of course.
Likewise, if anyone else wants to chip in with their free screening experience(s), I'm sure they'd love to hear them! As would I, naturally :) Brilliant that, from the sounds of it, lots of great friendships established :)
Top 50 Poster!

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#15 Post by asamaic » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 pm

AYBG wrote: But I'm not liking this sentiment against people knowing about talkers. Tut-tut! Be egalitarian. I don't see why "promoters will give up running them" when the whole point is to get bums on seats! In some alternate world where this led to a massive increase in people seeking free previews - which is not going to happen with what I suspect is a one-off daytime show - logically wouldn't that mean more screenings?
I don't think promoters will give up running previews, but I don't think they'll increase the number either. Like I said, I think the same number of people will get tickets, it's just fewer of them will be FMUKers. Which is of course entirely selfish of us, but I've seen MSE ruin countless deals by giving them too much publicity.

I do like the idea of a screening stories thread though. I spotted this lovely one in December:
mariatingstad wrote:So I didn't really win this, but I randomly got it and it was amazing.

On Thursday I went to see the Red Carpet of the Les Miserables premiere, because I like red carpets and hopefully meeting some of the cast.
After a while of waiting, the starts were about half way down the carpet (I was by the end), a security guard came over to my section and started handing out something. I thought it was a flyer, so I went up to him and he gave me his last one. After looking at it for about a minute I realized that it was a ticket. After some screaming and shock I got out of the barricades and entered the red carpet, walking past Hugh Jackman and Amanda Bynes. And then I saw the movie. In the same room as the entire cast and crew. It was the most surreal thing that has ever happened to me.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

#16 Post by AYBG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 pm

We are starting to put together the programme now and plan our filming. We’re really keen to talk to one of the ‘champion’ preview-goers, perhaps who hasn’t pa*d for a cinema ticket in years and attends very regular screenings. Can you help?
rawr, you clearly fit the bill in terms of the quantity you see! You still need to pm me :)
Anyone else interested who can provide those sorts of answers? :D
Top 50 Poster!