Customise!

Ask questions, give feedback, discuss the site in general, etc
AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Customise!

#1 Post by AYBG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Members can now customise many aspects of the forum!
Here, we offer every member, whether newly registered or veteran, the opportunity to personalise the board. Here's a taste of what you can do:

Choose your own style!

We have two board styles for you to choose from! Note that every page within the forum will be affected for you by your choice!

This is the default - AllanStyle-SUBSILVER:

Closely, modelled on the previous Subsilver style, it's been nicely adapted for the latest version of phpbb.

You can also choose Prosilver:

The most popular phpbb style, for those who want more colour and flash!

Both are responsive and look great on any device.

To change your style, click 'User Control Panel', click the 'Board Preferences' tab, and you'll see the drop-down menu for 'My Board Style' - pick the one that you want to try out!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

Re: Customise!

#2 Post by AYBG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Most boards offer the ability to use avatars and sigs, and we're no different!
An avatar is a small image that appears above your username throughout the forum. A signature appears under your posts.

^An avatar and a sig.

Get an avatar by going to the User Control Panel, then the 'Profile' tab, and 'Edit Avatar'. From here you can upload an avatar straight from your hard drive. Please keep avatars reasonably small - the current limit is 120x120 pixels.

Sigs can be a limited amount of text, or a reasonably-sized image - or both!
To get to your sig controls go to the UCP, then the 'Profile' tab, then 'Edit Signature'.
Here you can type text as you usually would, or use the following BBCode to insert an image:

Code: Select all

[img]url of target image[/img]
Tips for Avatar and Sig Use
  • Avatars and Sigs affect the way people think about you. No, really. It may shock you to learn that in fact, I am not actually Kermit.
  • Get creative! It's great to see a custom-made sig or avatar!
  • If I have made a sig image myself, how do I get it online?
    You can upload directly by clicking the imgur button as you compose your sig:

As noted here, it can be used throughout the site and it's bloody easy and I love it.

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

Re: Customise!

#3 Post by AYBG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:16 pm

So, as you may have guessed by now, your home for customisation is the

User Control Panel

Let's have a look at more of its functions for personalising your forum.

The UCP may look daunting at first, but once you get to know it and remember to love it occasionally (!), you'll get the most out of it, and your forum experience. There's really a tonne that you can customise to make FMUK your own.

Overview

Manage Subscriptions - throughout the board you can subscribe to threads and boards, thereby you'll be notified of new posts in said thread/board.
From this page you can check your subscriptions, see if there are new posts to view or 'unwatch' them to unsubscribe if desired.

Manage Bookmarks - you can bookmark threads for future reference without subscribing to them. The process is nearly the same. Click the wrench button at the top or bottom of a thread page, then 'Bookmark topic' instead of 'Subscribe topic'. The UCP page allows you to review your bookmarks and delete them as applicable.

Manage drafts - If you've manually saved drafts, this is where they end up. Simply click 'view draft' to pick up where you left off.

Manage Notifications - to view all past notifications

This tab lets you change the stuff people see on your profile and posts (incl. avatar and signature), as well as allowing you to change your password and registered email address.

Board Preferences

The home of customisation! Set permissions for other users and mods, as well as settings for Private Messaging, Board Style (yay!), language, timezone, etc. Plus there's posting defaults (like whether your signature should be automatically put at the end of posts or not) and display options (unless you don't want to see sigs and avatars I recommend staying away from these options).

This is also where you can adjust what you get notifications for, on the board and/or emails.

Private Messages

PMs are basically a mini-email system within the site. Use it to contact other members. You can add extra folders if you like, and assign rules. For instance, I have a rule where all PMs from Beate get sent to a specific folder.

Usergroups

Here you can see which usergroups your account is assigned to, a phpbb feature that allows for different permissions to be set according to groups. Beate and I are in the admin group. We are joined by lovely volunteers in the moderator group. For most people this will just be 'Registered Users'.

Friends and Foes

You can add 'friends', simply as a means to have easy access to add them to your PMs. 'Foes' ignores a given user's posts, but I don't know why you'd want to use that, everyone here is lovely.

Privacy Data

Displays all the data stored on the site regarding your account. We're super on-board GDPR now!

And that's it I think! There's plenty to customise so what are you waiting for!!