Discuss movies (including free films)
phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 3002
Preferred Cinemas: Central London - Cineworld Haymarket/Shaftsbury Avenue Odeon Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Panton Street/Tottenham Court Road/Marble Arch, Vue West End/Islington Empire Leicester Square, Prince Charles Cinema, Apollo Piccadilly Circus, BFI

Re: Avatar

#51 Post by phunkygal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm

most of the sites its on are crashing due to so much traffic

try
http://www.avatar-movie.co.uk/

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

#52 Post by AYBG » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Can't see a trailer there but Cinematical is providing this working link for the trailer:
http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn. ... fault.aspx

I've got to say, the Na'vi don't look as good as I hoped. It's just too obvious that they're CG.

Oh well, still looking forward to tomorrow, and I hope that by December they'll have made the creatures fit their environment...
Top 50 Poster!

owichmann
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld and Odeon Milton Keynes

#53 Post by owichmann » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 am

Just been to the 10am showing of the preview of Avatar at the BFI Imax. The footage looks amazing in IMAX 3-D with a couple of stand out scenes. Production design looks outstanding in the both the "human" and Pandora environments, all captured by Cameraons's fluid cameras. The details in the Pandora scenes are quite incredible and it can almost be said that there is too much going on and could cause brain/eye overload over the course of 2 plus hours. Nonetheless, I think this will make for unmissable cinema and will surely ushur in a new era in motion picture design and technology.
Comments from the sell-out audience were that it was too "cartoony" in look, though I thought the look worked well overall.
The screening was introduced by the director of the BFI and also an exec from 20th Century-Fox who told us that this was the first screening in Europe as well as being ahead of the Yanks!
Films 2010: It's Complicated, The Boys Are Back, The Lovely Bones, The Princess and the Frog, The Wolfman, The Blind Side, Date Night, Death at a Furneral, Heartbreaker, The Karate Kid, The Rebound, The A Team, Knight and Day, Going the Distance, The Last Exorcism, The Switch, The Runaways, Tamara Drewe, The Kid, The Town, Made in Dagenham, Life as We Know It, The Social Network, Let Me In, Tron Legacy preview, Unstppable, The American.
Films 2011:The Next 3 Days, Morning Glory, The Dilemma, Tangld 3-D, The Fighter, Rabbit Hole, Chalet Girl x 2, West is West, I am Number 4, Lord of the Dance 3-D, Hall Pass, Paul, Everywhere & Nowhere, Water For Elephants, Hop, Mother's Day, Horrible Bosses, Mr Popper's Penguin, Super 8 x 2, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Footloose, Real Steel, The Help, Captain America, Machine Gun Preacher, Moneyball.
Films 2012: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Lady.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#54 Post by superhero » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:11 am

Nice, I am going to the BFI tonight at 7.45. looking forward to it, even though I am no fan of CGI

alpa

#55 Post by alpa » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:59 am

I prefer real actors too ... Harry Potter was fantastic in 3D at the Imax.....

Coraline not so much :S

Although there was a trailer for a 3D Christmas movie which had Jim Carey which was an animation. This actually looked really good.

pnimio

#56 Post by pnimio » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:02 pm

UK cinemas get a taste of Avatar
UK cinema-goers are being given a taste of James Cameron's new science-fiction epic Avatar at free previews taking place around the country.
They are being shown 15 minutes of the futuristic fantasy, which uses motion-capture animation, CGI and live action, and will be shown in stereoscopic 3D.

One of the day's first sneak previews was held at the BFI Imax in London, home to the UK's biggest cinema screen.

A trailer from the film, released on 18 December, is now available online.

In a filmed introduction, Cameron tells audiences all the excerpts come from the first half of his movie.

Avatar is the 55-year-old's first full-length feature since 1997's Titanic, which won the Canadian filmmaker a best director Oscar.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8214078.stm

owichmann
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld and Odeon Milton Keynes

#57 Post by owichmann » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks for the link!
Films 2010: It's Complicated, The Boys Are Back, The Lovely Bones, The Princess and the Frog, The Wolfman, The Blind Side, Date Night, Death at a Furneral, Heartbreaker, The Karate Kid, The Rebound, The A Team, Knight and Day, Going the Distance, The Last Exorcism, The Switch, The Runaways, Tamara Drewe, The Kid, The Town, Made in Dagenham, Life as We Know It, The Social Network, Let Me In, Tron Legacy preview, Unstppable, The American.
Films 2011:The Next 3 Days, Morning Glory, The Dilemma, Tangld 3-D, The Fighter, Rabbit Hole, Chalet Girl x 2, West is West, I am Number 4, Lord of the Dance 3-D, Hall Pass, Paul, Everywhere & Nowhere, Water For Elephants, Hop, Mother's Day, Horrible Bosses, Mr Popper's Penguin, Super 8 x 2, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Footloose, Real Steel, The Help, Captain America, Machine Gun Preacher, Moneyball.
Films 2012: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Lady.

chief100

#58 Post by chief100 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm

I was one of the lucky ones to see the 16 minute preview at the Imax Southbank.
I will get straight to the point this film is like nothing I have ever scene at the cinema and will change the way we see, and set the standard of the blockbuster film forever.
For those who have seen the short trailer on the internet, THIS, dose not do the film any justice. (and it’s a real shame people are saying negative things on film websites so far). This film is ment to be show at large scale in 3-D to give it's true potential, not a small PC monitor or even hook up on a in house projector. The 7 or so sequences really do go show the amount of detail that went into making the film, the insects buzzing around, gun shells falling to the ground not forgetting the glorious colours in the jungle. I would give a 9/10 for the whole experience, which is high for myself how is usually quite conservative about reviews. Can’t wait for December the 18th and then everyone else and myself get the chance to see this blockbuster special!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

#59 Post by AYBG » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 pm

As I hoped, the Na'vi looked much better in 3D than in the trailer. A close up of the main Avatar's foot looked very real. The 3D as a whole was good, but sometimes it felt more like a moving pop-up book, with maybe a dozen layers, than real-life 3D. This ruined one shot, where our hero hangs onto the edge of the cliff and we see the ground below him. The problem was the ground looked completely 2D and you couldn't tell how far away it was supposed to be. Compare this to what Hitchcock did in Vertigo and you have a strong argument that not everything that works in normal films will work in 3D. They'll have to go through trial-and-error, and Avatar being the first of its kind it's bound to have some errors left in it.
Nevertheless from what I could tell in the short clips the story looks good and I was impressed with the writing in the scene where the female mourns the loss of the animals she killed to save our hero, and he just doesn't understand why.
I fear that the film won't have learnt the lesson from Jackson's King Kong (random dinosaur stampedes etc) but I think it might be a great film. Just not the Best Thing Ever.
Top 50 Poster!

r4ven
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 39
Preferred Cinemas: Central London

#60 Post by r4ven » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 pm

Have to say I thought the preview was amazing. I agree it needs to be seen on the big screen and the internet trailer doesn't give any hint of the story unlike the 16 min preview. Didn't really like Jake as a character though, I suspect "becuase he has a big heart" however, we will all love him by the end of the film. The best scene for me was definately the ultra violet light landscape - is that how pandora looks at night time? This is almostly certainly going to be a cult hit a la star trek, they will no doubt make a franchise out of it also.

Well, as I much as I hate to admit it, this boastful marketing ploy has already worked it's magic on me and I can't wait to see the full film in december.