The Descendants

Discuss movies (including free films)
Flabber
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Cinemas in order of preference: All central London, North Finchley, Holloway, Enfield

Re: The Descendants

#41 Post by Flabber » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:18 pm

angelina_ballerina wrote: Did anyone else notice that despite the rather dramatic screenplay and events, you never felt unhappy or close to tears?
Didn't this was worth all the hype. I'm not sure if someone else mentioned on here but seen better performances from George.
Don't get me wrong, he's quite good but a shoe-in for an Oscar i think not.

With regards to the lack of tear-jerker moments, i think that's maybe the charm of the film. Despite the story line and sub-plot, you can appreciate from afar...

6/10
Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#42 Post by raj101 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote: PS In one part of the film a school girl comes into the picture (at the hospital) for about 3 minutes and wowed me with the most atrocious child acting I've seen for a while. Did anyone else felt the same? Am I cruel? I know its just a child, I feel guilty being too harsh...but man she was really bad! I couldnt help laugh and the audience did too but I wonder if they were laughing at the situation and not the bad acting?
she was rather bad. It was well worth a child Razzie.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#43 Post by McG » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I saw this tonight using a voucher as no free previews had been in Glasgow area. I wanted to see this before the Baftas and the Oscars as I've heard some talk of George for an award. I have to say I was a little disappointed in the film. The story was too drawn out and the film was too long. The young people in the film were impressive and definitely some names to watch for in the future. I don't think George's performance was particularly great. There just wasn't anything to challenge his acting skills. I did like the Tourist Board scenery and sea views, particularly inviting given the temperature here just now.Tthe film could have been better but would probably watch again if on tv.
Marks 5/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#44 Post by hopeprince » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Saw this last Wednesday so a review is really over due.
This is a alright film with a lot of stuff going on but never really wowed me in the way that I expected it to. The acting was great but he script I would say was not as good as it could. One of the things the filmed focused on was the relationship between George Cloony's character and his daughters but not much bonding or work was put into repairing the relationship. They kind of just made up and had that cosy moment in the end. :confused: 6/10
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#45 Post by Beate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:13 pm

I have finished reading the book now that I got free with the Telegraph and it was an utter bore. Not really funny either so they must have changed the script for the film. There were two scenes in the book that I think might be awkward if put in the film:
1. Scottie wearing a "Mrs Clooney" T-shirt and
2. Clooney's character discussing overpaid actors and annoying award shows :giggle:
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Bibby

#46 Post by Bibby » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 am

I saw this film last week and although I enjoyed it overall, I'm not sure it warranted all the hype it's had - including the Globe best actor... (I do like George Clooney but wasn't his best performance/film) - and the scene where he was running... not quite sure if it was funny or a bit awkward. Okay sad/humourous storyline - though some parts were a little draggy in the middle.

I'd say overall worth watching.

Flabber
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Cinemas in order of preference: All central London, North Finchley, Holloway, Enfield

#47 Post by Flabber » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 am

Bibby wrote:- and the scene where he was running... not quite sure if it was funny or a bit awkward.
That was a bit weird wasn't it...
:blink:
Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus

weirdfilms33
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Anything in central or South London

#48 Post by weirdfilms33 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Finally got round to seeing this at HMVCurzon - surprised to see the topic so far back in Film Discussion (as well as the somewhat lukewarm opinions). I loved it. My sister had told me beforehand that it was quite slow but I never felt like it was dragging on. I found it a really well-constructed drama with some great location shooting and fabulous performances all round. I can see why some people may not have liked it as it's not consistently laugh-out-loud funny (perhaps the trailer is misleading) but I've seen some much slower stuff in my time (see Theodoros Angelopoulos, Andrei Tarkovsky) and this was just wonderful. I doubt it will win any Oscars but it's motivated me to see some more Payne movies.

8/10
Go ahead, make my day - by visiting my blog: http://jacobthehobnob.wordpress.com/

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. I saw 32, which is rather delightful.. I beat Mr. Glass on free films but he narrowly inched me out on total films seen.

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. I saw 20, interestingly enough. My more realistic target was to see more free films than TheyCallMeMrGlass. I lost.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#49 Post by superhero » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:04 am

I think the film is a slow burner, it's not going to win you over straight away, but I think if people watch it again, they might appreciate it more.

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#50 Post by Celini » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 am

superhero wrote:I think the film is a slow burner, it's not going to win you over straight away, but I think if people watch it again, they might appreciate it more.
spot on! This is what happened with me o/
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100