The Woman in Black

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Re: The Woman in Black

#101 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 am

moggers wrote:How cool!!! I'm glad she is nice, loved her shoes.I've read the book so interested to see the film, shame there doesn't seem to be a UK wide preview at the moment.... I might have to p*y to see it *gulp*
I don't think it is as good as the book or the play, but go and see it once to compare!

The most frightening thing about it is how terrible Daniel Radcliffe is as a leading actor. :bwl:
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/re ... z1kZ2P4Oey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/re ... actor.html

and I was wondering this too!
[spoiler]"Why is the dead woman in black so determined to wreak havoc not only on the family she resents, but also on all the local inhabitants’ children and, indeed, any grown-up who visits the house?"[/spoiler]
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#102 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm

PXC i've done that, so frustrating isnt it. I try to write my posts in Word so its auto saved but sometimes I am too lazy and write the post and then lose the damn thing, happens so many times to me but I guess someone up there is sparing all of you from reading my boring posts!

So we can review the film now? I wrote this unsent post when we saw the early preview 2 months ago or so, so I am just copying it :) :

At the Q&A, the director and screenplay writer talked about how they wanted to get to the root of telling a scary story in a the traditional British sense like the old Hammer productions...

....pity then they didn't make that film. For those of you (myself included) who was looking forward to a film that takes us back to the basics of supernatural story telling that has been lost since the vintage days of Hammer Horror (this is actually a Hammer production), you'll be half dissapointed. I say half because, they actually do take it back to basics part way but unfortunately, they overkill the suspense with your standard cliched BOO moments which becomes incredibly tedious and laughable. It actually saddens me to say it. This film had the potential to really bring back proper supernatural storytelling to its glorious British roots.

Having said that, there were clearly a large part of the audience who kept jumping out their seats a few times and at the end of the movie, everyone applauded pretty enthusiastically. If you want cliched ridden shocks and Boos, like say Insidious, then I recommend this film to you.

The core of the Woman in Black story remains but they made some bad choices with the narrative structure. I expected large modifications, as required for film adaptations, and I expected it to be different to the original 70s film too. But bizarrely, what they did was give the story away in advance from the beginning. In fact it begins totally off the wrong foot. I cant understand why they did that. Takes away much of the suspence from there on. As for the scary moments, they went for overkill. There isnt any CGI, thank god, at least give them credit for that. But my god was it cliched and VERY repetitive I just had to laugh. I can be easily spooked. Sixth sense, The Others and many old classics spook me. But here, I only jumped once. It was a big jump, I have to admit. But even then it was cheap (crank up the volume type)

But despite my above scathing remarks, this is not a bad movie, its an ok movie because it does some things right. There is a chilling atmosphere, its just the damn cheap scares that spoil it. The cinematagrophy is splendid and colour tones are perfect.

Dan Radcliffe plays his part well, and I am very glad to see him in a non Potter movie (he even says so himself during the Sattelite link q&a). I really admire the boy, he has come a long way with his acting and his drive will make him become a stellar actor (well I hope, he deserves it). Its clear how much he has learnt and improved in the Potter movies. But he's not there yet, he doesnt have a wide enough range. And unfortunately as I watch the film for the first 20 minutes, its clear he that he is learning the role as he goes along. However, (and I know films are not shot in on screen sequence) it seems Radcliffe gains more confidence in his role later on and he turns out to be quite commanding and I enjoyed that.

Its just very dissapointing, given that the opportunities was there for it be a great one. I have seen the play twice and the original British film. The play is 10 ten times scarier. The original film scarred me for life but this film was just your standard Friday scare night at the cinema where you might throw your popcorn in the air a couple of times.

6/10
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Hey drop that choc chip Brownie...
I said drop the brownie...now! Good, now drop by the Weight Watchers thread
and have fun getting healthier and fitter :D

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 404
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Braehead, Odeon Quay, Cineworld Glasgow.

#103 Post by moggers » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm

I didn't know there was another film Mr Glass, I'd love to see the play as the book is very good.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#104 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:16 pm

moggers wrote:I didn't know there was another film Mr Glass, I'd love to see the play as the book is very good.
Its this one. I didnt realise it was made in 1989 though, and not 70s as I first thought. Geez, my memory is so bad I cant even get the decade right! Its actually a made for TV movie so unfortunately it doesnt seem to be available for anywhere which is a shame as its a superior film. Like the play, its all about atmosphere and absolutely no special effects.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098672/
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Hey drop that choc chip Brownie...
I said drop the brownie...now! Good, now drop by the Weight Watchers thread
and have fun getting healthier and fitter :D

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#105 Post by moggers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:55 pm

I probably did see it back then! Just can't remember it. My mum and I would have watched it :)

soonforgotten
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: any London ones except Wandsworth & Enfield
I have tickets for: The Iron Lady, War Horse & a several vouchers

#106 Post by soonforgotten » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Finally got around to putting my review of this together. It's been a busy/stressful 5 days or so.

Even though this didn't do much for me personally, I can definitely see it being successful and working for the younger or more skittish crowd. I'm just too hardened.

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/2012/01/30 ... -in-black/
102 Different free films seen in 2010 plus 2 repeat viewings and a few tv show screenings... not too shabby. Thanks to everyone for their contributions here.

100 Free Films in 2011 Member #6: 181/100
My top 10 films of 2011

100 Free Films in 2012 Member #6: 210/100

Why not visit my film blog?

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#107 Post by hopeprince » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Had a wonderful time at Bafta's Preview. We got free popcorn and water. I got to meet the director who was very nice and polite.

This movie was the scariest movie I've seen in a long time but then again but then again I don't watch that many. Great acting and direction. Radcliffe was very believable in this role. The tension and fear build slowly during the entire movie to a fantastic ending. I have to say I kept jumping in my seat after a few scary moments, I think I closed my eyes at every little sound I heard and the creepy atmosphere never gives you a break from feeling like everything is haunted. Really enjoyed it 8/10
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#108 Post by hopeprince » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Saw this again on Saturday and have to say that its not as good second time round. It was a fun introduction from Daniel Radcliffe and the director. There were also a woman dresses up in a black cape walking around in Screen 1 throughout the adverts.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#109 Post by moggers » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I went to see this last night with my mum. I thought the screening was going to be rubbish as there was a high percentage of teens in the crowd but they all fell silent once the movie started. I really enjoyed it, it was loosely based on the book but the house, village and main characters were what I had imagined. As a ghost story it was in the old hammer tradition and I enjoyed the ending. I thought Daniel did not a bad job, he was suitably tortured looking and jumpy. Such a nice change to have a ghost story than the usual blood and gore horror films. 8/10 from me.

aruif

#110 Post by aruif » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Having never read the book nor seen the play I didn't know the story. I liked the trailer so wanted to see the film. I also wanted to see how Dan Rad was in it too to be honest. It took me a while to believe him as this new character. Yes, he looked different, but it was still difficult. I wondered if he said at least in one take, "i'm harry potter" when he introduced himself on the train hehehehehe. The thought of that did make me want to giggle at the time.

I thought it was pretty scary in all fairness and at times wondered if a 12a was really appropriate. I guess kids are used to being scared shitless these days. God i sound old!

Really enjoyed it and thought it was really well shot, especially the opening scene. The thing that freaked me the most was one of the little girls looks like my best friend's little girl so I didn't like that bit much!