Chronicle

Discuss movies (including free films)
tilly
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Beckenham,croydon grants, central london,streatham, Wimbledon, shepherds bush,

Re: Chronicle

#11 Post by tilly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I heard they kept everyone in for 10 minutes. There was no escape as wanted to capture people's views on camera :blink:
Member 64 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 25 seen 75 to go
Member 64 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 27 seen 73 to go
Member 66 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 24 seen 76 to go

Cinema preferences: beckenham, croydon grants, central London
streatham, Wimbledon, O2
and at as a last resort wandsworth and shepherds bush

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#12 Post by hopeprince » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Saw this at Framestore, they do have really comfy seats. I really enjoyed the film and would love to see it again just for the details I missed at the fighting scenes. One of those films were you wish you can rewind a bit. The bad thing about the context of only seeing what the characters are filming is that you didn't know some parts of the story like how this they got out of the cave and what happen in between Andrew throwing his dad and when Steve came to get him. Although they maybe want you to use your (the viewers) imagination but I somehow wanted to know what the screenwriter thought that happened. Definitely left me guessing, I want to see this again and most of all I want a superpower. 
Really enjoyed it 8/10

Escaped the camera, I don't think the guy behind me did.
Last edited by hopeprince on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#13 Post by Celini » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I think Chronicle had quite a lot of potential if they (director/writer) had developed a bit more their characters. They almost got there with Andrew, but completely missed the point (I think) when they decided to make him go crazy and blow up half of the city!

I thought they should have played on his pain and his troubled family situation; for me the best part/shot of the movie was [spoiler]Andrew lying on the floor playing with and then killing the spider![/spoiler] Why didn't they exploit that?
Starting from there, the movie could have turned into a dark psychological drama/thriller! Rather than using [spoiler]his powers to get money and wrap his mum in her blanket he could have eased her pain more effectively and hmmm... killed her![/spoiler] (sorry!)

I got quite bored when the fight scenes started and I am overall rather disappointed!
7/10

(Framestore indeed handled pretty poorly the situation; they should have ask people interested in being interviewed to stay in the room when the rest of us sneaked out!)

Edit: Oh, and the bit when he [spoiler]pulls the bully's teeth[/spoiler] was good too! I really think they should have exploited this side of him better and transformed him in some kind of bad-ass Magneto!
Last edited by Celini on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

sikmansam
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford Vue, Stratford Picturehouse, West india Quay Cineworld, Greenwich O2, Greenwich Odeon, Vue Islington, Whiteleys Odeon, Shepherds Bush Vue, Wimbledon Odeon

#14 Post by sikmansam » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Really enjoyed this, thought it was incredibly well made and an excellent premise. Also, really hilarious at times and i found the young cast (except for Andrew at the end) had brilliant chemistry. It's real let down is the finale which could have been much better. Nevertheless, really recommend this!
Also, had to wait for about 5-10 minutes before i could leave due to some recording process and the guy nearly succeeded in keeping me behind!

8/10, review coming soon

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#15 Post by Beate » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh we escaped alright as we had aisle seats and prettyxcool kept shoving us until we were out, LOL. Got our phones back really easily, empty loo as well, lovely. God knows why they thought they needed big burly security guys confiscating mobiles and sitting there with night vision goggles.

i thought this was a pretty naff mish-mash of a film. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as Trollhunter but this "we're filming everything" amateur style was a bit unnerving - and the ending pretty laughable.

So basically there are three guys who through a freak of nature get super powers and at first use them for harmless pranks on people. Two of them are well-balanced nice guys but the third is a damaged soul with a dying mother and an abusive father, so naturally the power goes to his head and everything turns pear-shaped pretty quickly. You could have made something with that story but in the end they just went for the cheap "smash everything to pieces" thrills.

Thankfully it was short.

5/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 6 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2018" clubs. 817 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#16 Post by funthing29 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm

LOL, hopeprince, it was Framestore, not Farmstore.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#17 Post by hopeprince » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

funthing29 wrote:LOL, hopeprince, it was Framestore, not Farmstore.
:p It's this stupid correction thing, hate it.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

weliveandbreathewords
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any Birmingham

#18 Post by weliveandbreathewords » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Im liking the fact that the reviews are quite positive so far, thought this had a lot of potential when I heard about it last year, really looking forward to seeing it :)
Think theyll be any more free screening before the release?
Shadowhunters: Looking better in black than the widows of our enemies since 1234.
I am, after all, what you made me.
Formerly known as rawr_xoxo
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 35 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 34 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 120 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 111 SEEN.
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 77 SEEN.

I will be seeing:

TheOnes
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Hatfield, Enfield, Lee Valley, Watford, Leicester Square/Central London, Greenwhich or anywhere within the catchment area of those.

#19 Post by TheOnes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:01 pm

I really loved this movie. As a VFX artist it was great to actually be in Framestore (one of the leader's of London and my target eventually) and probably enjoyed being in the dailies screening room more than i should've, but i digress.

This was one of the most visually stunning found footage movies out there (probably because when something was happening, you could actually see it). It was a unique character study about what would you and wouldnt you do under specific circumstances. We were given fun, messing about, desperation, revenge, humiliation and how naturally each one of those situations lead to the next one.

A found footage movie is hardly original in any context, nor is the superhero genre. What really made this feel unique and a breath of fresh air is the characters and how they just popped and are aware of alot of situations. For example, the fact that all three of them are best buds now and hang out after not really hanging out at all previously kinda seemed like rushed character development but it is eventually called upon and opens up some fantastic character dilemma's for Andrew as he just gives in to his power.

It was also really clever how they shifted perspective as it really removes the stigma of not letting the audience out of the moment. Sometimes its good for horror but if it was just Andrew moping to his camera it would get stale really fast, shifting perspective's and camera's to other characters actually helped his downfall have alot more weight as he thinks of himself as a loner yet he genuinely had people who cared about him, and we see that. Removing a ton of bias and adding great development. Also it really made the movie feel incredibly cinematic as it manages to pull off some clever camera angles that makes key scenes visually pop, while keeping it within the "found footage" narrative and assisting the story in the meanwhile.

8.5/10
Preferred cinemas (in order of choice): Hatfield, Enfield, Lee Valley, Watford, Leicester Square/Central London, Greenwhich or anywhere within the catchment area of those.

- So What if Jesus turned Water into Wine? I once turned an entire Student Loan into Vodka. Your move Jesus

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#20 Post by valda » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Found the venue eventually after walking the whole length of the street on the other side of the road- number were in the 70's that side :evil: Actually the Venue and Celini found me in retrospect.

So, a nice little screening room and a good little film, just what one needs to start the week. I'm still not sure about these lost footage films. didn't like Cloverfield and hated Blair Witch, but this was much better and explored the genre in a different fashion.

I loved the beginning and how the boys ended up becoming friends and bonding over their powers, whilst how far they could take them. But as others have said, the ending let it down. I would rather have watched Andrew getting darker and darker than the sudden meltdown and the events that followed it.

8/10

The whole fiasco trying to get out was ridiculous. If you want to film people, let everyone know in advance,then those not interested can go, leaving the rest to film at their leisure :roll: I don't mind having forms to fill in, but I do not want to be filmed!
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks