Project X

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Project X

#31 Post by Beate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:45 pm

ejwrank wrote:I thought it was awful and I doubt I will see anything worse this year.
Not quite sure why you went to see this, I could see I wouldn't enjoy it and so wouldn't you!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 6 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2018" clubs. 817 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#32 Post by anakin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I think that's part of why I can't decide how I feel about it. It was super funny in places, totally cringeworthy in others, but I did think it was a bit OTT in places. But that kind of made it. I think I did like it, but wonder how I'll feel about it when I eventually have kids. There were heaps of moments when my jaw hung open (quite a lot of the film actually) wondering why someone didn't stop it... But it was funny! I'm sitting on the fence a little with 7/10. My way of balancing the funny and the mindless. My mum would have chopped my head off. Or worse. Not that I was ever anything like that!

Also, the Sky man was THE MOST ANNOYING MAN EVER. He was inside, trying to 'help' us find seats, but he was useless, blocking my way to seats we found ourselves. Please can they stay outside from now on!!!

PS I think I saw PXC in the distance on my way out. Apologies for not saying hello - it was a wonder I didn't sneeze all the way through the film - but I didn't want to spread my germs any more.
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#33 Post by anakin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 pm

lbaxx wrote:I'd say this was the same type of film as Ferris Bueller, but this was not the innocent type of film Ferris Bueller was (certainly not for under 18's)
Ha! Ferris is an angel in comparison!
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

baty
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: cardiff vue, odeon, cineworld, swansea odeon, vue, bridgend

#34 Post by baty » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Well there were a couple of walk outs about 12 mins in - not me as I stuck it out till the end. I cringed, remembered lots of headlines regarding young people dying over xtc and was just 'gobsmacked'. Hated the 'friends' they were very unlikable. The bizzare hand held cam shots made me dizzy, & disoriented.
No!! I did not like this film.
Am never allowing the G kids to be alone in my house - alive
0/10 because the heating was switched off, so I wasn't even warm.
No. 39 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen 93 to go personal goal, 25 for films this year

My films 216 23, 2015 29 2014 26, 2013 47, 2012 58, 2011 43, 2010 54 2009 32

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#35 Post by hopeprince » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Waste of time. 1/10 and that's because of the good company.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

Jayman
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#36 Post by Jayman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm

elski wrote:the bits they showed [spoiler]made him to be the coolest thing ever. Plus they never even said if he had a prison sentence[/spoiler]Just shows what a state society is in when people do just think it's funny and think this doesn't filter through and have repercussions on what people think is acceptable behaviour.
[spoiler]His annoying friend did hint a few scenes earlier that they would probably need to serve time, as advised by his lawyer uncle. I guess mentioning it again at the end would have been redundant. I personally don't think movie-makers have a responsibility to hide suggestive ideas from the viewer (especially when the movie has an 18 certificate).If a party like this with 1,500 drunken, drugged-up teenagers were to end up with all of them roaming the streets, depicting a full-blown riot would be pretty accurate in my eyes. And if the kid who started the whole thing were to look upon the destruction with pride and glory, then that too would be accurate. Make no mistake, when the London riots took place, the kids doing the looting were all pretty chuffed about the whole thing. However, I do agree with you that the way in which the "footage" was assembled did make it seem like the kind of epic anarchy all kids should aspire to. And like yourself, I would have preferred clearer emphasis on the punishment dealt out to them but I guess the makers didn't want to end off on a sour note.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Jayman on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

anakin
Se7en
Se7en

#37 Post by anakin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 pm

[spoiler]Surely no one watching could think they were going to get off lightly - they set a street on fire / burned houses down (although technically that was the gnome man) etc etc etc etc. No one in their right mind could think that if they were to replicate the film, they'd get away with it?! I think the issue goes deeper than just a film... but I won't start that conversation here...[/spoiler]

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#38 Post by elski » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm not saying it would influence them to go out and copy it just give them more pride in what they've already done. As I said in my first post they can use this as justification and they'll feel smug/proud at having gotten away with it and how cool they are that this sort of thing appears in films. If the riots hadn't happened last summer then it wouldn't have made me as uneasy but we now know today's youth is perfectly capable of going out and doing these things without the aid of a film. But to me the film is making it more acceptable and going by people's reactions at how they liked the film it seems to be true.
Last edited by elski on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

Jayman
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#39 Post by Jayman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 pm

This is hilarious! I went over to IMDB to check out the reviews posted over there and found not one but TWO reviews comparing "Project X" to a Bollywood movie called "3 Idiots". No surprise that it's likely the same critic posting under 2 different accounts. I've seen the cliche-ridden, seizure-inducing "3 Idiots" and apart from there being 3 lead characters in both movies, I can't fathom how anyone could possibly draw a comparison between the two. Check 'em out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636826/reviews
ImageImage

brettie
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Portsmouth, southampton, eastleigh, fareham
I have tickets for: nada

#40 Post by brettie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm

it was based on Aussie party, which was a street party of 500 people by a lad called Corey worthington
ImageImage
Member no.Image of the "100 free films in 2014" club,1 seen
Member no.15 of the "100 free films in 2013" club, 17 seen
Member no.15 of the "100 free films in 2012" club, 24 seen