First Day of the Rest of Your Life

Discuss movies (including free films)
MariaLionza

Re: First Day of the Rest of your Life

#41 Post by MariaLionza » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm

opas wrote:The Apollo is a great cinema - hope they have more screenings there in the future.

Thought the film was great. I agree with a lot of what has already been said. I think I could have watched a mini-series on that family - it was just normal family drama but told in a way that holds your attention. 8.5/10

I recognised the actor who played Raph aka magic fingers and it was bugging me as to where I have seen him before. Has anyone seen that French Canadian film CRAZY? I think I saw it last year on TV and he plays the lead in that. I recommend that film too.
That's where I saw him! I couldn't remember but for the whole film I had him on the tip of my tongue(so to speak)

Ms Thrifty

#42 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:25 am

Oh dear, I saw that film and didn't recall the actor! But that's good in a way, or it might have distracted me.

jpeg
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: London, preferably Central London

#43 Post by jpeg » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:22 am

I also went to see this film at the Apollo Theatre...what a lovely and comfortable cinema!

I adored the film! Will have to get it on DVD when its out....I love how French movies usually think about the little things in life. Makes for a quirky and interesting movie! Also the family in the movie was such a pretty family to look at! :p

Funny, Quirky and Entertaining

9/10

jem&theholograms
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Brixton Rizy, Covent Garden, West India Quay, Clapham Picturehouse

#44 Post by jem&theholograms » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Again, agree with the comments already made, really enjoyed this one and have already recommended it to a couple of people.

I also spotted Moira on the screen at the bar, so it wasn't just imagined but liked the subtlety. Was definitely worth all the bus diversions on Sun morning.

Thanks for mentioning CRAZY, couldn't place him either but knew he was familiar!

sparklysparkles

#45 Post by sparklysparkles » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Really enjoyed this (plus it was technically "studying", so all the better!)
Was at the Odeon at Glasgow - tiny screen, maybe 40% full.
Agree with the quirkiness, prettiness, and interestingness :) It was tastefully underdone (like a French steak!) which left enough to the imagination... I would imagine a much longer version if it had been made in the US, or even UK!
Anyone else notice how the elder son was smoking at the end?
10/10

lilian1977

#46 Post by lilian1977 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm

Absolutely wonderful film, I adored it.

cheekyweelassie - I think you're right about Moira. I didn't spot her but my OH did straight away.

How gorgeous is Pio Marmai (Albert)? Definite new crush to rival Romain Duris, Daniel Bruhl and Gael Garcia Bernal!

Definitely b*ying it when it gets a UK release, was tempted to get it from FNAC.fr but I think I'll wait.

10/10