First Day of the Rest of Your Life

Discuss movies (including free films)
jmd1983

Re: First Day of the Rest of your Life

#21 Post by jmd1983 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Same here, going to Apollo at Piccadilly Circus next week. Sounds great so am quite excited about seeing it.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#22 Post by superhero » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:39 pm

No it wasn't a theatre before it became the Apollo, it was part of the UCI Plaza along with Tescos. Thats where they use to do some preview screenings. I don't know if before the UCI Plaza it might have been a theatre though. The Apollo is a very nice cinema though, it's got very lovely seats.
TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:Everyone seems to have enjoyed this film. Look forward to seeing it after grabbing a pair of tickets for a screening at the Apollo in Piccadilly Circus. I thought I knew and been to all of the cinemas in West End but never heard of this one. Was it a theatre before because I recall an Apollo theatre?

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#23 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:35 pm

And it's very close to the tube station.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#24 Post by superhero » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 pm

I bored my friend last week, dragging him to watch Cold Souls, do you think it's okay to drag him along to watch this next Monday? or will he never go to a free screening again? hehe..

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#25 Post by Beate » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:06 pm

It's much better than Cold Souls imho, but it's a subtitled French indie nevertheless. If he doesn't mind that he will be fine, but if he usually is into action films he will hate this one.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#26 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:15 pm

superhero wrote:No it wasn't a theatre before it became the Apollo, it was part of the UCI Plaza along with Tescos. Thats where they use to do some preview screenings. I don't know if before the UCI Plaza it might have been a theatre though. The Apollo is a very nice cinema though, it's got very lovely seats.
Well now I'm doubly looking forward to it, a nice new cinema to discover too!
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Hey drop that choc chip Brownie...
I said drop the brownie...now! Good, now drop by the Weight Watchers thread
and have fun getting healthier and fitter :D

tilly
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Beckenham,croydon grants, central london,streatham, Wimbledon, shepherds bush,

#27 Post by tilly » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Saw the film today and actually it was better than I thought. My boyfriend was not that keen as he thought french films weren't that good but he left saying how great and funny the film was. One to recommend.
Member 64 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 25 seen 75 to go
Member 64 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 27 seen 73 to go
Member 66 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 24 seen 76 to go

Cinema preferences: beckenham, croydon grants, central London
streatham, Wimbledon, O2
and at as a last resort wandsworth and shepherds bush

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#28 Post by anakin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Was supposed to see this again tonight but have to go elsewhere now. Not a happy bunny. Was looking forward to seeing it again (and to the nice cinema for a change). Not posted in Wanted as already seen it so it doesn't seem fair. Sigh...
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

jem&theholograms
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Brixton Rizy, Covent Garden, West India Quay, Clapham Picturehouse

#29 Post by jem&theholograms » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Good reviews, am looking forward to seeing this at the weekend.

Have to say the Apollo is a very nice cinema, roomy and comfy, is a nice orange wed treat on occasion. Don't think its as well known though as the few times I've been it's been almost empty, which just adds to the feeling of being in a private luxury cinema.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#30 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Just saw this evenings screening and really enjoyed the film. It was a cleverly structured drama sprinkled with a lot of humour that successfully gave me a sense that life is too short to waste, so make the most of it. I'd give this 8.5/10.

The Appolo is indeed a lovely venue with very pleasing aesthetics in its decor and lighting. I think this cinema is probably the 2nd most luxurios, with Notting Hill cinema being number 1.

I was also given a test screening preview ticket by a publicist in the cinema for a British film that has no title yet! Apparantly, the film is in the tone of films like The Full Monty, Julie & Juliet, Billy Elliott, Calendar Girls. The preview is for Thursday evening at the same cinema so I'm looking forward to another comfy screening again :)
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Hey drop that choc chip Brownie...
I said drop the brownie...now! Good, now drop by the Weight Watchers thread
and have fun getting healthier and fitter :D