Re: Pitch Perfect

#22 Post by Jayman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 pm

4 stars in Empire :)
ImageImage

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#23 Post by hopeprince » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 am

I cant even remember the amount of times I have seen this trailer before a film. I think I know it of by heart now. Hope it turns out decent tomorrow.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

Ms Thrifty

#24 Post by Ms Thrifty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 pm

I do hope this is going to be the feelgood film I felt The Sapphires wasn't, quite... I have quite high hopes of this one tonight!

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#25 Post by Yinster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Back from a pretty full Glasgow Showcase. There were empty seats but apparently 56 people got turned away cos Showcase management said it was a health and safety issue. Huh??

Well this was very enjoyable, fun and personally cheesy. Definitely didn't feel as long as last night. I loved Glee. So to see all singing and sometime dancing groups is normal for me. My toes were tapping with the music. And I didn't laugh as much or as loud since Bridesmaid. It is cheesy because [spoiler]the boy does get the girl in the end.[/spoiler] And it was fantastic to see The Breakfast Club featured in this.

8/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

havingascreen
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: edinburgh
I have tickets for: The Social Network
I haven't got tickets for: Narnia

#26 Post by havingascreen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Yinster wrote:Back from a pretty full Glasgow Showcase. There were empty seats but apparently 56 people got turned away cos Showcase management said it was a health and safety issue. Huh??

Well this was very enjoyable, fun and personally cheesy. Definitely didn't feel as long as last night. I loved Glee. So to see all singing and sometime dancing groups is normal for me. My toes were tapping with the music. And I didn't laugh as much or as loud since Bridesmaid. It is cheesy because [spoiler]the boy does get the girl in the end.[/spoiler] And it was fantastic to see The Breakfast Club featured in this.

8/10
i love the breakfast club :mrgreen:

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#27 Post by Diane65 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Cheesy and right up my street. A pleasurable 2 hours - I like musicals of any sort. 8/10

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#28 Post by Jayman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I can't believe you guys thought that was cheesy. "Cheesy" is a term usually reserved for something that's trying too hard to be something it so blatantly isn't (ie. it has entirely negative connotations).
Glee is cheesy, because Glee sucks.
ImageImage

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#29 Post by kevinknapman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Well this was definitely a tiny bit cheesy and predictable but also, perhaps surprisingly, quite enjoyable. It helps when you have a lead as charming as Anna Kendrick who manages to convince as both alt-girl and acapella group member. Her romance with Skylar Astin (Skylar?!?) plays out in a likeable manner too. There's also great support from Rebel Wilson who manages to steal almost every scene she's in. She clearly improvised a fair bit and if it doesn't always come off, it definitely keep things interesting (stick around for the end credits for one such improvisation that didn't make the film itself). John Michael Higgins and Elizabeth Banks also get quite a few laughs and bring something of a Christopher Guest vibe to their roles as contest commentators. I was also very amused by the appearance of an older singing group whose members I won't spoil as it came as a surprise to me. Though for those that don't mind - [spoiler]Har Mar Superstar, Donald 'Scrubs' Faison, Jason 'The Daily Show' Jones and Joe Lo Truglio[/spoiler]

Maybe we're used to gross out comic moments in mainstream comedies but the few moments included here never felt too out of place. So there are a couple of particularly unpleasant but amusing vomiting scenes (one also ends with a character doing a 'snow angel' in the resulting mess) that balance the more mainstream corny moments effectively. There are also a couple of surprisingly dark lines from a character who speaks in whispers (occasionally just about heard by the audience if not the other characters) [spoiler]'I set fire to things to feel joy' and 'I ate my twin in the womb' being two particularly fine examples[/spoiler]

On the whole I enjoyed this a lot and there are plenty of genuine laugh-out-loud moments that make it definitely worth a look. It doesn't always work and some of the naff moments are incredibly naff, but I had a good deal of fun with it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that this is the second time (I think) that Anna Kendrick has been in a film that begins with an amusing variation on the Universal logo music (the other being Scott Pilgrim Vs The World).

Oh I was also completely baffled by the quote on the poster which describes it as 'Bridesmaids meets Ted'. Bridesmaids I understand but Ted? That makes absolutely no sense to me. 'Bridesmaids meets Glee' might be too obvious but at least it's accurate
Last edited by kevinknapman on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#30 Post by Diane65 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Jayman wrote:I can't believe you guys thought that was cheesy. "Cheesy" is a term usually reserved for something that's trying too hard to be something it so blatantly isn't (ie. it has entirely negative connotations).
Glee is cheesy, because Glee sucks.
I probably use it in the wrong context - I was using it in the sense that it was very obvious what was going to happen and a lot of over smiley people plus I like things like this as they put a smile on my face and I like cheesy.