Pitch Perfect

Discuss movies (including free films)
Jayman
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

Re: Pitch Perfect

#31 Post by Jayman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Hehehe, okidoky. I can't argue with the cheesiness of the plot - it was straightforward and downright predictable. In that sense, I guess it works. :)
The delivery though was more parody-like.
ImageImage

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#32 Post by Yinster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Jayman wrote:I can't believe you guys thought that was cheesy. "Cheesy" is a term usually reserved for something that's trying too hard to be something it so blatantly isn't (ie. it has entirely negative connotations).
thanks for the lesson in cheesiness. Just remember though "Cheesiness is subjective. What seems cheesy to me, may be a legitimate and attractive hairstyle to you. What seems cheesy to me, may cause you to weep and hug your girlfriend tight" - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheesy

So personally for me I still thought the film was slightly cheesy. ;) I like cheese though :D
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

Jayman
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#33 Post by Jayman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Good point. And I guess we are allowed to like cheesy products too. I thought Intouchables was cheesy in its manner of going through the motions other movies had already defined, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.
ImageImage

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#34 Post by McG » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Saw in Glasgow with Yinster + OH . . . couldn't get seats for teddybear1 + OH to sit with us :tears:
I thought this film was like an extended episode of Glee! I did love the music/singing. Visually there were some very attractive peolpe to look at though I'm not sure whether they were the ones singing! :rolleyes: The story ( :roll: ) was very predictable but that's what people want from this type of film . . . a beginning, a middle and an end with no complications! It was a pleasant way to spend an evening and would be good if you are feeling a bit down! Nothing taxing for the brain . . . and we all have days that's what we need! :p
Marks 7/10

sunny hucknall

#35 Post by sunny hucknall » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Have seen a lot of anna kendrick recently (pitch perfect, end of watch, what to expect when you are expecting & 50/50) and she has been the best thing in each of them.

First saw her in scott pilgrim & was good in that too.

Takes actor this good to shine in some poor movies (pith perfect / what to expect).

As for this film...,meh, some good songs & dodgy stereotyping....6/10, better than TDKR.

Ms Thrifty

#36 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:13 am

I so wanted to like this and agree it reminded me of Bridesmaids (never seen Glee, but Joyful Noise, perhaps?), but for me it fell slightly short, as did The Sapphires. Actually, both the latter and this seemed amazingly similar to me and seeing them both within a short time probably didn't help.

I felt the story was both rushed and jumpy, and as it was the music which appealed most to me in theory, it was frustrating never to hear the whole of any song but only snippets or medleys. I'm also a bit puzzled by Anna Kendrick's popularity as - and I know one woman saying this about another might raise eyebrows - I find her weird appearance is a distraction: she has that double chin, prominent teeth, etc, and really doesn't look like normal Hollywood leading lady material, especially compared to some of the other female members of the cast, who looked totally textbook and almost too perfect. But maybe that's the point of Anna Kendrick? In fact there seemed to be a strange dichotomy in this film, both regarding the male and female cast, between the impossibly perfect and the slightly-too-imperfect, and there were so many close-up shots which really focused on this. So another 7 or 7.5 from me.

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#37 Post by funthing29 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 am

Ms Thrifty wrote:I'm also a bit puzzled by Anna Kendrick's popularity as - and I know one woman saying this about another might raise eyebrows - I find her weird appearance is a distraction: she has that double chin, prominent teeth, etc, and really doesn't look like normal Hollywood leading lady material, especially compared to some of the other female members of the cast, who looked totally textbook and almost too perfect. But maybe that's the point of Anna Kendrick?
I'm sure that has helped fuel her as a breakout star. While attractive, she looks more girl-next-door rather than pin-up, which helps set her apart from other actresses.

I really wasn't in the mood for a heavy tearjerker like The Hunt so opted for this, knowing it would be light and fun. Yes, it was predictable and had all the usual cliches and stereotypical characters, but it was still incredibly entertaining. Nice doses of comedy with some great acapella performances make this highly enjoyable, and definitely more intelligent than Glee. 8/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

Ms Thrifty

#38 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 am

Another odd thing for me was seeing Elizabeth Banks again - albeit in a supporting role here - so soon after People Like Us. How is it that you don't see actors for ages, then suddenly they seem never to be off the screen? Must be the release dates as I'm sure films which coincide or follow each other weren't made in that order.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#39 Post by canadian_turtle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 am

Well I, unsurprisingly, loved it. I'm a big fan of musicals and musical film/TV anyway (yes, this includes Glee) so this is right up my alley. And I'm personally very fond of Anna Kendrick in any film she's in (she was the only thing I even liked about Twilight) though I agree she looks a bit awkward, but maybe that adds to the appeal?

Rebel Wilson was brilliant too, stealing many a scene and Skylar Astin looked like a young Zachary Levi (yum). The storyline was pretty straight forward and predictable but with plenty of hilariousness along the way, the mash-ups were fab, and I loved that these groups were all acapella, it made the film different from so many others in the genre. Though I do think it's very Similar to Glee, and not even a much smarter version at that. Glee definitely has some cringe-worthy moments/episodes, but there's some good stuff there too. Some scenes were even very similar to the TV-show (showers/vomiting), only a little more extreme, because this is for a slightly older audience.

Kinda disappointed they didn't show the new semester's auditions during/after the end credits after the abrupt cut-off of Beca's sentence in the final scene, but maybe they'll put some on the DVD/Bluray. Did not realise Brittany Snow was in it until the end credits by the way, the hair colour threw me off.

Would've enjoyed the film even more with a different audience (had someone very loud and over the top right in front of us that made it impossible to hear anything the quiet girl in the movie said, some of which was hilarious according to a few reviews above, and someone behind me continuously coughing and sneezing and kicking my seat each time they did so). Still, aca-fantastic! 9/10
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Spring
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Any London
I have tickets for: 21 Jump Street @ Shepherds Bush
I haven't got tickets for: Happy to receive for all :)

#40 Post by Spring » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 am

canadian_turtle wrote: Still, aca-fantastic! 9/10
Oh yes you did...o/
Spring