Ruby Sparks

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Ruby Sparks

#1 Post by Beate » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am

The next Cineworld Unlimited preview screening is Ruby Sparks, from the director of Little Miss Sunshine on Tuesday 9th October, 8.30pm.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 6 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2018" clubs. 817 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

soonforgotten
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: any London ones except Wandsworth & Enfield
I have tickets for: The Iron Lady, War Horse & a several vouchers

Re: Ruby Sparks

#2 Post by soonforgotten » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 am

A second viewing of this cemented it as one of the year's finest in my eyes. There's so much to catch and it's no less funny the second time. Just excellent stuff.

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/2012/10/08/ruby-sparks/
102 Different free films seen in 2010 plus 2 repeat viewings and a few tv show screenings... not too shabby. Thanks to everyone for their contributions here.

100 Free Films in 2011 Member #6: 181/100
My top 10 films of 2011

100 Free Films in 2012 Member #6: 210/100

Why not visit my film blog?

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#3 Post by EthanRunt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:35 am

It's... good. Often quite funny. But, not as good as others have told me. Honestly, I found the writing to become a little too simplistic towards the end, looking for an ending rather than finding something natural to the characters and story. Maybe another viewing, on Netflix instant one day, may change my mind.

The Craigster

#4 Post by The Craigster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 am

Now this is a really good little film. It made up for watching the dreadful Hit and Run.

Tunarizer

#5 Post by Tunarizer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

Saw this last night at Cineworld Birmingham. Wasnt expecting too much but found it very enjoyable and entertaining.

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#6 Post by hopeprince » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Honestly one of the best written film I've seen yet this year. It not cliche and feels incredibly honest and emotional throughout.
You feel every emotion while watching this. Definitely had a 'Be careful what you wish for' kind of feel. 9/10
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

Ms Thrifty

#7 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:13 pm

I chickened out of Beasts this morning (did cancel my tix) and saw this instead, as I'd been wanting to catch it for days. It was still free as I used my first "Sweet Sundays" voucher and was slightly better attended than I'd have expected for an early performance on a Sunday - and by civilised adults, thank goodness, apart from one crisp-cruncher. I did thoroughly enjoy it, though the two brothers looked implausibly unalike, and having tried to make sense of the denouement, I decided it was either beyond me or didn't add up. Best not to think about it but just enjoy the ride.

weliveandbreathewords
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any Birmingham

#8 Post by weliveandbreathewords » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm

I felt disappointed by this in someway, for some reason I got the impression that it was making out all woman to be 'bitches', the men were all soppy and 'normal' except for calvin being a control freak but when he tells ruby to be 'just herself', she becomes a slob on the sofa who gets moody when told she has to go out...not sure it was sending the right message, but was expecting a lot from this :/
4/10
Shadowhunters: Looking better in black than the widows of our enemies since 1234.
I am, after all, what you made me.
Formerly known as rawr_xoxo
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 35 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 34 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 120 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 111 SEEN.
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 77 SEEN.

I will be seeing:

aruif

#9 Post by aruif » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:20 pm

I really enjoyed this but after some reflection I don't think I liked him at all, mental or not that scene toward the end was a form of abuse and I didn't like it I'm not sure what I thought other than stop doing that you little prick. It was almost as depressing as it was funny.

I think I want to see it again though

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#10 Post by canadian_turtle » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Saw this with a voucher today and really enjoyed it. I was glad that the film provided more than the cute and quirky story I expected from the trailer. Yes, it was sometimes a bit hard to watch but it was a realistic approach to show how wrong it actually was what was going on and the moral temptations Calvin had to deal with. It was much needed depth that elevated the story above some kind of adult happily ever after fairytale. Though having that, I am glad that the cheesy ending went right back to the cuteness the movie started out as, because I do like those happily ever after endings ;)

There were some funny scenes in the film too, such as the one where Calvin explains to his brother what is going on.

7.5/10

rawr_xoxo wrote:when he tells ruby to be 'just herself', she becomes a slob on the sofa who gets moody when told she has to go out...4/10
I think this was directly related to the emotional ups and downs she went through when Calvin kept altering her thoughts in the scenes that came before, not the writer's perspective on women in general.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)