McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

Re: Les Misérables

#31 Post by McG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 am

Roll on 11th for me!
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

jeanelle
Se7en
Se7en

#32 Post by jeanelle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:38 am

So lucky to get to see this in IMAX, comfortable seats, unrestricted view, excellent sound. This was epic and spectacular with (obviously!) wonderful music and we really enjoyed it. Don't know how they all managed to sing when being drenched with water and mud!
Preferred Cinemas :
Richmond, Kingston, West End, Wimbledon, Shepherds Bush, Clapham, Westfield, Fulham

toliver182

#33 Post by toliver182 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am

This was amazing! Saw it at the IMAX at swiss cottage, The director Tom Hooper and Eddie Redmayne were there and did a Q&A after the showing.

carla_pt
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield Strattford City

#34 Post by carla_pt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Been to the screening yesterday at Swiss Cottage. Amazing movie and the IMAX screen was superb. Seats could be more comfortable though.

Snowwhite
The Third Man
The Third Man

#35 Post by Snowwhite » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 pm

seeing this in imax was so nice, great view and sound. really enjoyed this yesterday and thought everyone gace stunning performances, was really surprised of how well they were able to sing, would never have expected it from some of them.
loved sacha Baron Cohen character and Helena Bonham Carter so funny which i thought was a nice touch to film otherwise it would have been too serious

9/10 - was a great film to start the year off

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#36 Post by valda » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Well what can I say? I'm a massive fan of the show, so was a bit apprehensive about the whole thing, until the trailers started appearing.

The Imax in Swiss Cottage is fab, very big, spacious and quite comfortable, but for such a long film, it was getting a bit painful on the back. A bit of a kerfuffle trying to get in and seated. The ushers startedd panicking and making us all sit on the sides, which didn't really worry me as the screen is so good.

When the film started I was blown away by the proportions of everything, its a massive production, huge cast, and everyone singing live, all the time. ( they had an earwig in the ear so they could hear a piano).

The cast were brilliant all in all. Quite a few of the original cast members were in cameo's, and lots of West End performers were in the ensemble, to give it an even better sound.

right I may get a bit spoilery here.

I thought most of the singing was brilliant, especially as apart from 2 of them, the cast were not singers. Russell Crowe can sing, but he was struggling with the upper reach of the songs, but good with the lower regions that suit his voice. He was pretty menacing as well, in a subtle way.

Amanda S, I really didn't like her voice or performance at all, all I could think of was 'Look at Epinone ' she's a million times prettier and what a voice. Samatha Banks and Ann Hathaway blew me away :tears:

Hugh Action, I really want him to at least get a nomination for his performance, so fingers crossed.

Big surprise favourites were Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena BC. I loved them, and they brought some light relief to the film

I wonder what it will be like to see this with a more normal audience, who would laugh a bit more or maybe clap - NO SINGING along though. :nono: Even though I cried a couple of times ( really kept myself under control) I reckon that with the right audience, I could have been really crying at least another 3 times :crying:

best film of my year so far :shifty: 9/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

andrew.falconer
The Third Man
The Third Man

#37 Post by andrew.falconer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm

valda wrote: I thought most of the singing was brilliant, especially as apart from 2 of them, the cast were not singers. Russell Crowe can sing, but he was struggling with the upper reach of the songs, but good with the lower regions that suit his voice. He was pretty menacing as well, in a subtle way.
He has his own rock band so does quite a bit of singing (front man/guitarist I think).
valda wrote: I wonder what it will be like to see this with a more normal audience, who would laugh a bit more or maybe clap - NO SINGING along though. :nono: Even though I cried a couple of times ( really kept myself under control) I reckon that with the right audience, I could have been really crying at least another 3 times :crying:
My OH did not stop crying throughout the whole film, which was incredibly cute. We're both musical fans and both loved it. Got there quite early and managed to get comfy seats right in the middle before they started telling SFF people to sit on the sides (we just kept our heads down to make sure no one asked us to move).

9/10 o/

Avisute

#38 Post by Avisute » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm

andrew.falconer wrote:
My OH did not stop crying throughout the whole film, which was incredibly cute.
Traitor! :nono:

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#39 Post by Livi92 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Attended the IMAX screening yesterday, was impressed by the Q&A afterwards with Eddie and the director, really rounded a great night off. Fantastic film, superb performances particularly by Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe. Couldn't help but shed a few tears, when Hugh died at the end, such a moving and emotional film. 8.5/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#40 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Saw the trailer in cinema again today, gave me goosebumps! In fact, it looked better than the entirety of the stage show so can't wait to see the film!
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)