Discuss movies (including free films)
McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

Re: End of Watch

#11 Post by McG » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Saw this in a busy but not full Braehead tonight. Initially I hated the hand held camera shots and was fearful that it was going to be used throughout the film. The main characters were great though no other characters were memorable. I did find it annoying how disjoint the stories of the first 50% of the film. The tension definitely built in the last half.
[spoiler]I thought it was "funny" how many shots were fired by the baddies when they lured the 2 cops into the house and yet only 1 bullet out of hundreds hit the target! :blink:[/spoiler]
Marks 6/10

Spring
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Any London
I have tickets for: 21 Jump Street @ Shepherds Bush
I haven't got tickets for: Happy to receive for all :)

#12 Post by Spring » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:04 am

mrflunchy wrote:Anyone at Greenwich notice the annoying echo in the room? Is it like that for every film?
Alas yes...

I agree with tsoiboy synopsis, however I thought the jerky camera shots added a more realistic dimension to the movie...if you have every watched Cops back in the day you will understand. I didn't recognised America Ferrera AKA Ugly Betty! Lastly, I also loved the soundtrack...
Spring

taylors
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Leeds, Bradford, York, Harrogate

#13 Post by taylors » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am

I thought this was probably the worst film I have seen in 5 years. I consider this to be 109 minutes of my life that was wastsed and will never be recovered. Although it did get better towards the end the damage had been done long before then. The conmtinual and complete overuse of the F word was unnecessary and would have even made Malcolm Tucker cringe

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#14 Post by Jayman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 am

mrflunchy wrote:Anyone at Greenwich notice the annoying echo in the room? Is it like that for every film?
This is a problem I notice frequently at The O2. Thought it was just me. It's especially bad in 'Found Footage' movies.

BTW, did you guys think this was as bad as Street Kings?
ImageImage

kaholic

#15 Post by kaholic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:50 am

film was ok, handheld camera shots were quite annoying, would have liked a bit more story line and less footage of two men sat in a car. watch it if ticket is free, be cautious if you are p*ying.

hottips
The Third Man
The Third Man

#16 Post by hottips » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 am

tsoiboy wrote:Saw this tonight at O2 Greenwich and to an almost full screening and it is a pretty large screen.

I really enjoyed this cop buddy film. It was brutal and graphic in some scenes but all of which was appropriate for the film and added to it. The on screen chemistry of Gyllenhaal and Pena was great and believable. Not much in strong female characters and the film focused primarily on the two leads. Leaving the villains to look rather two dimensional. The tension builds up slowly and you know that it is not going to end well. I think the ending could have been braver and different but what was shown was fine.

The jerky film camera shots and different camera angles was a bit distracting and the film attempted to be different in this way to a the story that has been on well trodden ground.

Quite entertaining.

8/10
Have to agree with the above. I saw this and thought that it was a well put together film. However would I watch it again - no probably not - swearing, brutality and blood have never been my thing, so although I would give it a 7/10 for holding my attention and the strong lead characters it is not something that I would watch a second time.

FBS
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#17 Post by FBS » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 pm

I believe this is one of the bets films of the year. Being a fan of The Wire and Southland this film was right up my alley. Beautifully done with tension throughout. The two main lead are amazing (Pena especially), great to see handheld footage used for something other than horror films.

10/10

rawsalsa
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich O2, Brixton Ritzy, Greenwich Odeon, Surrey Quays, Clapham Picturehse, Streatham, Wandsworth

#18 Post by rawsalsa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

tsoiboy wrote:Saw this tonight at O2 Greenwich and to an almost full screening and it is a pretty large screen.

I really enjoyed this cop buddy film. It was brutal and graphic in some scenes but all of which was appropriate for the film and added to it. The on screen chemistry of Gyllenhaal and Pena was great and believable. Not much in strong female characters and the film focused primarily on the two leads. Leaving the villains to look rather two dimensional. The tension builds up slowly and you know that it is not going to end well. I think the ending could have been braver and different but what was shown was fine.

The jerky film camera shots and different camera angles was a bit distracting and the film attempted to be different in this way to a the story that has been on well trodden ground.
I very much agree with tsoiboy's synopsis, however I disagree with kaholic in that I found the hand-held camera approach helped to add to the feeling of disorientation and the fact that at any moment something shocking/unusual might happen. I was on the edge of my seat throughout because of this. I also wouldn't have minded more of the in-car discussions between the two cops. Although a very good film, I also don't think I'd particularly want to watch it again. 8/10
Last edited by rawsalsa on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 22 of the "100 free films in 2013" club

81 fims seen in 2012 (Thanks to all who helped me achieve this!)

smudge_14

#19 Post by smudge_14 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Was quite disappointed as I was really looking forward to this.

Handheld Camera shots were annoying. Found certain elements predictable too.

Could have been so much better 6/10

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#20 Post by valda » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 pm

FBS wrote:I believe this is one of the bets films of the year. Being a fan of The Wire and Southland this film was right up my alley. Beautifully done with tension throughout. The two main lead are amazing (Pena especially), great to see handheld footage used for something other than horror films.

10/10

What FBS said o/ I was running late and luckily Wimbledon started a bit late so I didn't miss anything - had to sit in the second row though.

I thought the Hand Held would really wind me up but it wasn't that bad in the end. The thugs were very annoying but I guess that is what they are like. You've only got to stand near a gang of kids in the street to hear how they talk and cuss. I think the problem here was that they were dreadful actors and didn't come across like crew's in The Wire or Southlands.

I got really engrossed in this film, [spoiler]going along having a smooth time like Cops, then sudden violence and action.[/spoiler]

Still not sure if I liked the end vx 9/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks