Rise of the Guardians

Discuss movies (including free films)
funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

Rise of the Guardians

#1 Post by funthing29 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:14 am

I was feeling under the weather and had planned to stay home last night, but then I received a phonecall telling me I had won tickets so I ended up going out. And I wish I hadn't.

I thought this was dreadful. It was so boring. I couldn't care less about the story or the characters, nothing likeable about them. The voice work was bland, the villain was dull, the main character was uninteresting, and there was no fun or humour elements. My real issue is that it felt incredibly unoriginal, like all its ideas had been lifted from other animated films. I especially noticed similarities to Monsters Inc and Despicable Me, amongst others.

The only thing in its favour is that it has decent use of 3D but that is not enough to redeem it. The worst children's film I've seen this year.

3/10

Edit: Score revised to 4/10
Last edited by funthing29 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

Re: Rise of the Guardians

#2 Post by Celini » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am

Same here! I felt like I sat through a direct to DVD film, I think it was aimed at the younger audience.

For me the only charming/cute characters were the minions... eh, the elves and I could not care less about Jack Bieber Frost taking on Pitch Cassel Black with the help of the odd Russian giant guy :roll:
Seriously, how uggly and unoriginal was the characters design?

This was basically painfully long and bland. I would recommend only to people who like (or don't mind) kid movies.

5/10
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#3 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:25 am

I don't understand you guys at all, this was one of my favourite films of the year, I loved everything about it! Great characters, basic good vs evil but well executed story, it was very funny and looked oh so pretty. Maybe it made a difference that I was seated in the stalls? I was often in awe with the animation, it just looked so clear/crisp and beautiful.

I really enjoyed the characters, particularly Jack Frost who was the centre of the story, as well as the different take on the various other guardians. I thought there were a lot of very funny moments, particularly those involving the cranky elves (indeed very similar to the minions from Despicable Me, but hey better steal something and ensure it's good than make up something new that might be crap) as well as the Easter Bunny when he lost his mojo for a while. Who would've thought that Hugh Jackman could be so fluffy and adorable? ;)

Waaaay better than the trailer makes it seem. I'd happily go see this again! 10/10
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#4 Post by valda » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

I'm halfway between the three of you.

sitting is the stalls is great for the 3D which was adequate. the beginning third of the film was so frenetic and loud, it was getting on my nerves. Loved the minion mini me's not the same as the minions but will do at a pinch. Jack Frost, a boy with a man's voice, very annoying. Easter Bunny confused me with my lust for HJ and the fact that he was emasculated :oops: Sandman was quite cute, and I thought the villain was Loki :shifty:

maybe if the film had been darker and for older kids it could have been better?

the kids near me seemed to love it so that's all that really matters. 5/10

Madagascar 3 and Despicable me still rule
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#5 Post by asamaic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm probably with Valda on this one.

I was sat in the balcony, bang in the middle (much better seats than when I saw Gambit at the front left!) and thought the 3D was excellent, much much better than Brave.

Regarding the plot itself, I thought it was a great children's movie. It had less for the adults than your typical Disney Pixar film, but isn't that normally the case with Dreamworks? Good film in general, really good IF you're a small child. IMHO, certainly not the disaster funthing29 makes it out to be!
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#6 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm

asamaic wrote:Good film in general, really good IF you're a small child.
:shifty:
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#7 Post by funthing29 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

asamaic wrote:IMHO, certainly not the disaster funthing29 makes it out to be!
Perhaps I was a bit harsh rating it 3/10 but I really didn't enjoy it and certainly think it is the worst animated film I have seen all year.

Edit: Score revised to 4/10
Last edited by funthing29 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

jeanelle
Se7en
Se7en

#8 Post by jeanelle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I was thrilled and delighted to have the chance to see this thanks to the generosity of funthing29 but I have to disagree with her as I thought it was much better than she did!

Visually it is gorgeous and it starts very well. There are some good jokes and Santa's small minions are beyond cute. There is loads of lovely scenery and exciting sledge rides and battles with the boogeyman but these last two are repeated so many times they become tedious. Maybe this film will appeal more to little boys than girls on that account, but I would say, not too small as it can be quite scary.

Chris Pine and Isla Fisher were at the premiere, she wore a lovely dress but was obviously absolutely freezing and could only hobble along in her posh shoes.
Preferred Cinemas :
Richmond, Kingston, West End, Wimbledon, Shepherds Bush, Clapham, Westfield, Fulham

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#9 Post by raj101 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Great visuals, 11/10 there.

PLot is where the problem is, theres no effort to build any pathos with the lead characters or motivation for the villain. Even in a kiddies film you need that, and I found myself dozing at the beginning with all the cardboard cutout characters being thrust upon me. Pitch Black? What a crap name for a villain, whom I quickly renamed Flint which sounds more ominous and interesting. Things pick up with a Fantastic Four type ending but its again too rushed. I wonder if the movie suffered cuts in the release.

Loved Jack though, and his flying sequences. Sandman reinvented as a cutie was interesting too.

I was expecting a more Japanese anime inspired movie, which was evident in Jack perhaps but there wasnt really any other superheroes in sight.

What I would call a 'firework movie', looks awesome but it needs work elsewhere.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#10 Post by Beate » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:03 pm

What's wrong with you guys? This was lovely! OH and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it's a movie squarely aimed at little kids and their belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny but I thought all the characters were exquisite, especially the grumpy bunny, the lovely sandman, the elves and the cute baby tooth fairies. It's a novelty to have a Russian Santa but hey, they can't all be American all the time! It was visually stunning and the 3D was okay. We laughed a lot and had a good time and that's all that counts.

Odeon Covent Garden could have put on the heating though! Unless they wanted to complement the Jack Frost story...

8/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 1 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen